Jump to content

Steve Long

  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Steve Long last won the day on July 10 2014

Steve Long had the most liked content!

About Steve Long

  • Rank
    Decuple Millennial Master
  • Birthday 11/27/1965

Contact Methods

  • Website URL
  1. This is a situation where the GM should apply common sense and dramatic sense to provide an answer. Generally speaking, any character can Grab another character. But if the target is flying and the Grabber isn't, the Grabber may need Flight just to put himself in a position to attempt a Grab. Depending on the special effects of the Flight, the Grabber may stop him or he may break free -- or the GM might rule that the Grabber gets carried along while the Grabbed character keeps flying. (See "Grabbing A Moving Character," 6E2 63-64). The rules on 6E2 26 are generally intended for stopping large moving objects, such as avalanches or meteors, not characters, but the GM can consult them in this situation if he thinks they'll be helpful.
  2. Images while Desolid

    Regardless of what Sense Groups an Image does or doesn’t affect, if a Desolidified character wants solid characters to perceive and be affected by his Images, the Images power must have the Affects Physical World (+2) Advantage. Without that Advantage he could still create the Images, but they’d obviously be “Desolidified” to anyone who perceived them and thus incapable of causing any harm or having any effect. (In your specific case, this might not matter to you since all you want is to be seen. I think it might be simpler and easier just to change the way you bought your Invisibility so you can turn it off when you want to -- but to each his own. )
  3. I’m going to re-state the question, to make sure I understand what you’re asking. If I’ve gotten it wrong, please either PM me or post a follow-up and I’ll try again. Q: If a character performs a Multiple Attack on one of his Phases, and in the next Segment Aborts to Block or Dodge, do the OCV and/or DCV penalties from performing the Multiple Attack “carry over” into the next Segment and affect the character’s CV using Block or Dodge? A: No.
  4. Stun loss

    No need to apologize; my ability to answer esoteric questions is one way that my keepers here at the asylum monitor my mental state. Per the rules on 6E1 360, characters cannot buy Characteristics UOO; they should achieve that effect using Aid instead. If a GM wants to allow it anyway, he can decide what the rules implications are.
  5. Stopping healing

    If a character doesn’t want another character to use Healing on him for some reason, he can apply his Power Defense to reduce (and possibly eliminate) the Healing effect. Against standard uses of Healing, the Power Defense reduces the total effect roll shown on the dice. Against Simplified Healing, the total Power Defense reduces both the STUN Healed and the BODY Healed.
  6. Area effect selective

    If a character buys Area Of Effect for Telekinesis (or for his STR), he must affect all the targets in the Area the same way. For example, he must “punch” all of them, or Grab all of them, or Shove all of them; he can’t Grab some targets while “punching” others. This remains true even if the Area Of Effect is Selective or Nonselective.
  7. Telescopic

    No problem. Here's how Telescopic works. As you probably know from running combats, the HERO System rules have a Range Modifier (6E2 38) that makes it harder to hit a target that's far away from a character. The Range Modifier also applies to attempts to perceive things at Range (6E2 11). So, for example, a character trying to see something that's 17-32 meters away from him suffers a -4 penalty to his Sight PER Roll. If he has the Telescopic Sense Modifier, either for his Normal Sight specifically or all Sight Group Senses in general, the Telescopic reduces or eliminates the penalty imposed by the Range Modifier. So yes, Telescopic makes it easier to perceive things at Range. So let's suppose that your PC, Eagle-Eye, has spent 6 Character Points to buy Telescopic for his Sight Group Senses, thus providing himself with a +4 Sight Group PER Roll bonus to offset the Range Modifier. His teammate, the Scarlet Swashbuckler, hasn't bought any Telescopic for his Sight. They arrive at a bank robbery as the robbers are speeding away in their car -- they're currently 25m away. Neither character has enough movement to catch up to the car, so they both try to see and memorize the license plate number so they can track it down later. Each of them has INT 15, so they both have a Sight PER Roll of 12-. The Swashbuckler suffers the -4 Range Modifier, reducing his PER Roll to 8- (a mere 26% chance to succeed). But Eagle-Eye's Telescopic (+4) cancels out the Range Modifier (-4), so his PER Roll remains a 12- (a 74% chance of success). Predictably, the Swashbuckler fails his roll -- but Eagle-Eye does not, and saves the day!
  8. Multiple Bases

    That's up to the GM, per 6E1 98: "Unlike Skills, Perks are inherently transitory in nature. A character can gain Perks during the course of the campaign and later lose them just as easily. If a character loses a Perk he typically get the Character Points he spent on it back, unless the rules for a specific Perk note otherwise. However, the final decision is up to the GM, since it may depend on the situation, the special effects of the Perk, common sense, dramatic sense, and other factors."
  9. Duplicating others

    1. That’s up to the GM. In many cases the +¼ level probably suffices, but there may be campaigns where the amount of Complications is more significant when compared to the target’s Total Cost. 2. In theory, Duplication UAA could be bought to create any number of Duplicates desired, but given the potential game balance problems this poses, I suspect most GMs will want to restrict the power to one Duplicate (or at most a small number of Duplicates). 3. It wouldn’t necessarily affect it at all, but it might affect the GM’s judgment regarding whether to allow a character to buy such a power.
  10. Always On, or just always on?

    No, that's not correct. For one thing, it's a legalistic interpretation that attempts to get around the rule, rather than actually following the rule in a way consistent with the rule's spirit. For another, even a -0 Limitation has to be in some trivial way a restriction or hindrance, and that's still not the case here. (As usual, GMs with different opinions about the restrictiveness are free to rule otherwise for their campaigns.)
  11. Darkness Centered on Self

    As stated on 6E1127-28, the GM can permit a No Range, Area-affecting Constant Power to move with the character who creates it automatically. (That's now this is done in published material, such as the villains in Champions Villains or spells in The HERO System Grimoire.) If the GM doesn't want to allow that for free, then the Mobile Advantage would be the way to buy it.
  12. One More Question on Inherent

    That's up to the GM. But of course, one of the things he has to consider in making that determination is whether the Limitation is actually a hindrance. Personally, I can't think of how having Regeneration be Always On is in any way restrictive, so on that basis alone I wouldn't allow it. And even if it passed that test for me, it would probably fail the game balance test. But to each his own; your GM may think differently.
  13. As noted on 6E1 208-09, all Sense Groups except for Touch (and "Unusual") provide the Range Sense Modifier to any Sense assigned to them. Furthermore, as noted on 6E2 11, the Range Modifier applies to PER Rolls made to perceive things at a distance. Spatial Awareness doesn't automatically include the Range Sense Modifier because it typically gets that Modifier from the Sense Group it's assigned to. If a character doesn't want to assign it to any Sense Group, he can of course buy the Range Sense Modifier for it on its own (you can find several examples of this in, for example, Champions Villains).
  14. 6E1 384 notes that Linking powers of differing durations can change the duration of one of the powers (for example, "A Persistent Power Linked to an Instant or Constant Power becomes an Instant or Constant Power itself"). All I was doing in my answer was extending that logic to the issue at hand. But of course, a GM who doesn't agree with that logic can change the rule, or can simply forbid characters to Link to Inherent Powers. Does that clarify things? If not, please PM me and we can discuss it further.