Minor Ultimate Vehicle Quibble

AlHazred

After rereading Star Hero and The Ultimate Vehicle, and giving Terran Empire the once-through, I have come up with my one and only quibble with these excellent sourcebooks; my hope is that this will be addressed in The Hero Vehicle Sourcebook.

Each of the aforementioned books contains a vehicles chapter with dozens of spacecraft. The first two, in particular, have a wide variety of starships and bases to suit just about anyone's campaign. I say "just about" because it seems to me that the low end has been ignored. Now, I realize that most people who buy Star Hero aren't going to need it, but that just means it should have been in The Ultimate Vehicle. I'm talking, of course, about modern space craft: the Space Shuttle, Saturn rockets, etc. Or even something a little more primitive: a Solar Sail yacht, an Ion-engine freighter, whatever. Not that I can't make them on my own and post them here, I just wish one of them could have made the book. Anyway, keep up the good work!

P.S.: So, Steve, when will we have a Hero products subscription service, so that you send me new product when it comes out and automatically bill my checking account? It's inevitable that I'll get everything anyway, and that way I save on gas... ;)

I'm working on a "Orbital Mechanics Hero" article that will include writeups for contemporary spacecraft: the Space Shuttle, Saturn rockets, Russian rockets, etc. I'll be proposing to Dave for Digital Hero, but if it's turned down (it is a wee bit specialized :)) it'll show up somewhere.

Re: Minor Ultimate Vehicle Quibble

Originally posted by AlHazred

Each of the aforementioned books contains a vehicles chapter with dozens of spacecraft. The first two, in particular, have a wide variety of starships and bases to suit just about anyone's campaign. I say "just about" because it seems to me that the low end has been ignored. Now, I realize that most people who buy Star Hero aren't going to need it, but that just means it should have been in The Ultimate Vehicle. I'm talking, of course, about modern space craft: the Space Shuttle, Saturn rockets, etc. Or even something a little more primitive: a Solar Sail yacht, an Ion-engine freighter, whatever. Not that I can't make them on my own and post them here, I just wish one of them could have made the book. Anyway, keep up the good work!

I'm reasonably certain you can expect to find at least a Saturn rocket and Space Shuttle in the HSVS. Even if it didn't stand to reason on its own, I know that Steve initially intended to have them in TUV (he specifically asked me to add them for the final draft; I'm not sure why he didn't end up using them, unless my write-ups were inadequate), so I'd assume they will be in HSVS -- and very well done, with Steve at the keyboard (even if he just edits what Geoff and/or I have cooked up). :cool:

So, Steve, when will we have a Hero products subscription service, so that you send me new product when it comes out and automatically bill my checking account?

LOL. That's an interesting idea, but I don't think we're set up for the administrative burden -- and I'd rather not bring the collective wrath of gaming retailers down on Hero's head by implementing it anyways. ;)

Originally posted by Steve Long

LOL. That's an interesting idea, but I don't think we're set up for the administrative burden -- and I'd rather not bring the collective wrath of gaming retailers down on Hero's head by implementing it anyways. ;)

FWIW, I don't think it's helped Columbia Games any, judging by the vast amounts of Harn stuff I find at my FLGS... not.

Originally posted by Geoff Speare

I'm working on a "Orbital Mechanics Hero" article that will include writeups for contemporary spacecraft: the Space Shuttle, Saturn rockets, Russian rockets, etc. I'll be proposing to Dave for Digital Hero, but if it's turned down (it is a wee bit specialized :)) it'll show up somewhere.

Having attempted to reflect the Space Shuttle on my own today, to see how complex it would be, I'm very interested to see this article. Maybe for a Digital Hero Near Future special issue?

Originally posted by mattingly

Also, next week's Digital Hero will include the write-up of a near-future space station orbiting Mars.

I'll be looking forward to that one! Definitely feel I'm getting more than my money's worth on Digital Hero so far.

Originally posted by BobGreenwade

I'm reasonably certain you can expect to find at least a Saturn rocket and Space Shuttle in the HSVS. Even if it didn't stand to reason on its own, I know that Steve initially intended to have them in TUV, so I'd assume they will be in HSVS -- and very well done, with Steve at the keyboard (even if he just edits what Geoff and/or I have cooked up).

You included all the information needed to create these kinds of things, then I didn't see any in the examples; I figured it had to be a space constraint. There's a great deal of room to develop, Science-Fiction-wise, between the Space Shuttle Enterprise and the Starship Enterprise. The better hard Sci-Fi books explore those areas, but I've noticed many games are lazy when it comes to that; I'm glad to see that Hero can take on the challenge.

Originally posted by Steve Long

I know Flying Buffalo has had some success doing something rather similar for their Tunnels & Trolls Solitaire Dungeons -- though not the "direct charge to the checking account" part (the customer prepays for a certain number of books, which are sent as they're completed).