What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

Bozimus

I have just finished Northern Lights the first of the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman.

Set in a world similar yet different to our own in the 19th or 20th Century. Everyone has their own familiar or daemon.

And then pre-pubescent children start disappearing.

Very interesting book. Highly recommended. I have yet to start book 2.

Originally posted by death tribble

I have just finished Northern Lights the first of the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman.

Set in a world similar yet different to our own in the 19th or 20th Century. Everyone has their own familiar or daemon.

Across the pond we call that book "The Golden Compass", if I am not mistaken...

Originally posted by death tribble

Dark Materials I read this series the end of last year then promptly went out and bought the BBC radio broadcast. While the radio series was good It didn’t touch on the emotion the books had, and was perhaps more aimed at it’s target Young Adult audience. However the books are a brilliant Trilogy and now one of my favourites. I read an interview with Pullman and he’s thinking of broadening some of the characters, like the witches, and develop the epic further. I can’t wait!

What I'm reading Now...

Fantasy: At the moment I'm reading an old favourite. The Fionavar Taperstry by Guy Gavriel Kay. Three books, easy and fast to read, The Summer Tree, The Wandering Fire and The Darkest Road . While this series may seem like your run of the mill High Fantasy formula, Kay’s books stand out. He is a master at manipulating ones emotions and connecting you to the pain of his characters. I have yet to read these books and not cry, or at the very least get choked up. These books are all about sacrifice. Another Book of Kay's I would highly recommend is Tigana

Science Fiction: If you like sci fi and haven’t read Iain M Banks yet, do yourself a favour and READ. Banks is brilliant. I highly recommend Banks and his World of the Culture. I am gradually working my way thro all Banks books both Sci Fi and His general Fiction. At the moment I’m reading Use of Weapons the most emotional of the Sci Fi selection I have read yet. It’s not and easy book to read, it’s complicated, non liner and often painful, and a long way from the fast passed hi tech space opera Banks first Two books ( Consider Phlebas and The Player of Games) orbited around. This book takes you thro the dark and haunting world of Cheradenine Zakalwe and his work for the Culture. He is the Covert Ops of the future. While doing the Culture’s dirty work, we are entwined in Zakalwe’s personal agenda and pain. I highly recommend this book, it is by far the best Science Fiction book I have read to date. While I have not yet finished this book, but will do so no doubt in the upcoming days, I have a feeling the ending is going to make me want to kick something hard. Any book that evokes strong emotions from me is a good book.

Dark

Kay's Fionavar and Tigana are high on my list of favorites. For some odd reason, though, I've never read anything else by him. I'll have to remedy that.

I just finished the Book of Words trilogy by J.V. Jones (The Baker's Boy, A Man Betrayed, and Master and Fool) A very enjoyable fantasy series. The characters are very well done, and the action moves along at a good clip. Some characters get more air time than their importance to the plot justifies, but it's not too big a sin because they're so entertaining.

This has motivated me to move on to more stuff written by her.

Originally posted by darkling sky

[b I highly recommend Banks and his World of the Culture. I am gradually working my way thro all Banks books both Sci Fi and His general Fiction. At the moment I’m reading [i] Use of Weapons[/i] the most emotional of the Sci Fi selection I have read yet. [/b]

I've read several of Banks' books, both SF and general fiction, and have throughly enjoyed them. Use of Weapons was the first of the Culture novels I read, and IMO the best.

I've just finished Elizabeth Moon's Speed of Dark, which is absolutely awesome - one of those rare SF novels that transcends its genre. I guess most people will know Moon for her Paksenarrion fantasy trilogy or her pulpish Serano Legacy space opera. Speed of Dark is nothing like them.

It's set in the very near future, written from the perspective of an autistic man whose employers want to use him as a test subject for a new autism treatment that could make him 'normal'.

To some extent, it resembles Daniel Keyes' classic Flowers for Algernon in its ability to show society through the eyes of an outsider. Moon's obviously done meticulous research into autism, and uses this book to ask some of the 'big' questions - what is self? where is the boundary between normal and abnormal? who are we?

Speed of Dark is unquestionably one of the best SF novels I've read. I hope in years to come it acquires a reputation as a classic, because it certainly deserves it.

And to think I only bought it on impulse, looking for a little light adventure of the sort Moon usually writes. What a fortunate happenstance.

I recently finished All Tomorrow's Parties, by William Gibson. Either you love him or hate him. I'm the only person I know that can stand his wrinting, and I can't seem to get enough of it. My friends and family think I'm a little strange, but I grok the way he thinks and writes. I recommend it, if you're a fan - it ties together Mona Lisa Overdrive and Virtual Light - a surprising and pleasant trilogy.

Recently read Paragon Lost and Impossible Odds by Dave Duncan. Both were good, Paragon Lost was great.

Read both the Cavern of Black Ice and Fortress of Grey Ice by J.V. Jones back to back. Lots of cool stuff regarding the culture of the Clans featured in the book (which helped me firm up some ideas I was working thru for my existing Nine Clans of the Machtig material), but the story itself is kind of odd. Odd in a good way, in that it goes outside a lot of long established Fantasy tropes while still throwing the occasional nods here and there. I read and enjoyed the Bakers Boy trilogy, and this series is set in the same world a few years later, but in a different area and with a highly different feel. This is a much more sophisticated outing from J.V. Jones, and she has a real talent for characterization. As a side note I traded a couple emails with her back when her first few books were released (though a Brit she lives here in San Diego), and she's also a really nice down-to-earth person with a good sense of humor. I recommend her books to those looking for a different spin on fantasy.

Read Dark Moon by David Gemmel, which I really liked right up to the ending, which was uncharacteristically pat for Gemmel -- usually he just kills half the characters and doesnt shed a tear over doing it. This one that didnt happen, so it was kind of a let down -- once you've read a few Gemmel books you start laying odds in your head regarding whos going to make it and who isnt. Really liked Tarantio. WilyQ, who is also a big Gemmel fan didnt like this book and didnt like Tarantio at all, so who knows? Maybe I just have bad taste.

Im currently reading the Grand Crusade by Michael Stackpole, but I havent picked it up in several days as it just isnt that gripping. In my opinion Stackpole is not a very good writer, but the series started off good with Hawkins/Kadyn's Crow and Resolute is an interesting character, a bullet-headed thuggish elf. The series has some interesting ideas, but its strength lies in its dont-think-to-much-about-it action IMO and this particular episode kind of stalls in the middle with some attempts at Martin-esque political intrigue amongst the rulers and it just doesnt work. Stackpole doesnt have the sophistication or characterization skills of Martin and it comes off pretty starkly.

I started reading Golden Fool by Robin Hobb, as Ive enjoyed all of the "Assassins Apprentice" books and the first "Fool" book in the past, but this one just didnt grip me, so I put it down half read and havent returned to it yet.

Originally posted by Beetle

I just finished the Book of Words trilogy by J.V. Jones (The Baker's Boy, A Man Betrayed, and Master and Fool) A very enjoyable fantasy series. The characters are very well done, and the action moves along at a good clip. Some characters get more air time than their importance to the plot justifies, but it's not too big a sin because they're so entertaining.

This has motivated me to move on to more stuff written by her.

I just finished Cavern of Black Ice and Fortress of Gray Ice. Slower paced, but good reads. You should check it out...

Ravenor by Dan Abnett. It's from the Black Library, which publishes tie-in fiction and artwork for Games Workshop games - this is set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe and follows on from Abnett's earlier series of books about the Imperial Inquisition.

The human Imperium in this setting is a galactic entity of considerable power, but is constantly under siege from aliens, subversives and the agents of the Chaos Powers who reside in the Warp, through which starships have to travel to cross interstellar distances. While some of the technology is very high, socially the Imperium is a tyrannical theocracy which worships a ten-thousand-years-dead Emperor as a god and whose Inquisition treats its enemies as not only dissidents but as heretics.

This book is the story of Inquisitor Gideon Ravenor, who first appeared as a secondary character in Abnett's earlier Eisenhorn trilogy. When he first appeared he was a promising young Inquisitor, skilled, talented and developing strong psychic powers; then an atrocity halfway through the story leaves him a physical wreck, a deaf and blind sack of flesh in an elaborate mobile life-support chair, dependent on his psychic abilities to be able to interact with the outside world.

The "crippled in body but strong in mind" idea is not exactly new, but I really like the way Abnett uses it for Ravenor. The Eisenhorn books were told in first person and focused on the exploits of Eisenhorn himself, a hands-on Inquisitor who was always in the thick of the action.

This is more of an ensemble story, since Ravenor is far more dependent on the agents who travel with him, and the pov constantly shifts between them as they carry out Ravenor's instructions. Rapidly-shifting pov is something that Abnett handles very well, and the sequence in which the team has to infiltrate a vicious gladiatorial circus called the Carnivora is impressively done, but in this book he's been able to pick up on his sometimes weak characterisation and bring each of them to life in their own right as they bicker, flirt and reminisce together.

The twist to using the ensemble is that our view of them is equivalent to Ravenor's own: trapped in his chair he skims over each one with his mind, keeping them in constant touch - and when one of them is in real danger he actually steps in, possesses them, charges them to the gills with psychic power and cuts loose.

The settings are beautifully done, particularly the overpopulated, polluted conurbation at the start of the book and the well-developed nomad society of the pachyderm herders the team find themselves in amongst later in the book - these would both be worth filching for sf rpg settings, and the second would work just as well as fantasy. The plot is to do with a trade in "flects", which are an odd sort of narcotic: a treated sliver of mirror that you simply look into to get a hit. Because this is the opening of a series of its own there is a vague lack of closure at the end, but I still enjoyed it greatly.

Next on my list is the stack of magazines I've had building up - Asimov's, Analog, F&SF and an Australian one called Andromeda Spaceways. Anyone else here much of a magazine reader, out of interest?

Just finished the Borrible trilogy by Michael de Larribault. The story revolves around Borribles who are basically children who can live forever unless their ears are clipped. Children can become Borribles by hanging around Borribles who tend to use them as cover so that they can avoid the police. Borribles live in derelict housing and live by theft though this is petty theft rather than burglery.

Borribles live for adventures whereby a Borrible can get his name and avoiding the police. The books are set in modern day London.

The three stories recount the Great Rumble Hunt whereby a group of unnamed Borribles set out to earn themselves names (and how the author was not sued by the writer of the Wombles on this I do not know); the creation of the SBG (Special Borrible Group) of the police and the recovery of the Rumbles treasure; and lastly the attempt by the Borribles to get to Neasden in London with a horse while evading the SBG.

As I live in London and know a lot of the places referred to, I loved this book.

Just finished The Crystal City by Orson Scott Card, the latest in the Alvin Maker series. Alvin finally starts founding the Crystal City he'd seen in a vision at the beginning of the series.

It was okay, in that middle-book-of-a-series kind of way. The early books of the series were remarkable, but kind of fell off in quality. I think part of the problem is that Card had thought the series was complete after the third book, now he's gone back and added to the story. This was the first book where it looks like Card has a goal for the plot in mind.

Originally posted by Lightray

This was the first book where it looks like Card has a goal for the plot in mind.

That is good news. I had stopped reading the series, until I find out if Card is going to deviate from the history he is basing the series on, or if he is going to martyr Alvin. If it is the second I dunno if I am going to finish the series... I mean why base it on history if you can't give it a happy ending.

I just finished reading "Storm Front" by Jim Butcher. It's the first in a series about a private investigator/warlock in a "modern" world that still doesn't believe in magic. Vampires, fairies, mystic cults...it's got all the stuff any good mystic Dark Champions adventure could want. It's quite entertaining and has given me a couple of ideas for magic-related stories/plot devices. Highly recommended.

Due to a lack of money and owning an overabundance of books, I decided to reread my books, instead of borrowing books from the library.

Last week, I read:

• Winning Colors
  • Once a Hero
  • Rules of Engagement
  • Change of Command
  • Against the Odds

all by Elizabeth Moon and are part of the same series. (Although I skimmed over maybe half of the first two books.)

Genre: Space Opera, I enjoyed the book, and like always, I teared up at the last scene. Yes I knew what was going to happen and it doesn't matter. A book that can suck me in emotionally. I found the books to be a nice mix of millitary society/action and civilian politics.

Currently I am rereading Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams, and mourning that there will never be a third book in that series.

Originally posted by Lightray

Well, maybe:

Strongly hinted at by Peggy, the Torch.

Yeah. I started having my doubts about the end when Peggy said "Don't go to (wherever*) or you will die", and I thought okay so that will be his Carthage. And that was when I decided to not invest a lot of emotion in the series until I knew for sure.

*It's been a few years, my memory fails me.

I find it interesting that a lot of my favorite books/series are riffs on or retellings of history or fiction.

Brust's Pheonix Guard from Dumas.

Donaldson's The Gap from Wagner's Ring Cycle

Turtledoves The Darkness saga from WWII

Card's Alvin books from the life of Joseph Smith.

Laurie King's Mary Russell books that are a panache of Holmes

Just sort of interesting.

Originally posted by Old Man

Prior to that I tried to read the Gormenghast trilogy, but only got through Titus Groan (book 1). Peake is a real master of descriptive prose--but hardly anything actually happens. So it was hard going.

Nice to know I'm not the only one who can't get through these books. I have tried to read the first book three times, and can never get more than half-way through before I give up in apathy.

As for me, I spent most of my christmas vacation re-reading the George R.R. Martin's 'Song of Ice and Fire', but since much has already been said about that, I'll just say that it is most impressive, and I look forward to the next one.

The last new book I read was Aaron Allston's Sidhe Devil, his second book of pulp adventure set in a fantasy New York-analogue: Doc Sidhe (Doc Savage with pointy elf-ears) and his trusty band of assistants fight crime with guns and magic. Fun and lightweight, but really feels like someone's RPG campaign put on paper.

Technically it's not scifi...

The book I just finished was "The Prince of Darkness: The Devil in History, Religion and the Human Psyche" by Joan O'Grady. It's not scifi technically, but it falls under the realm of mythology, which lives on the same street. And the study of how the devil is portrayed historically is inspiring food for thought.

Originally posted by Dr. Confoundo

The last new book I read was Aaron Allston's Sidhe Devil, his second book of pulp adventure set in a fantasy New York-analogue: Doc Sidhe (Doc Savage with pointy elf-ears) and his trusty band of assistants fight crime with guns and magic. Fun and lightweight, but really feels like someone's RPG campaign put on paper.

Second this one. It (and the original) rate very high on my fun-o-meter. They are one of the best light reads I've had in a decade. The fact that I like playing transwold martial artists just helped that out a bunch.

Originally posted by Vanguard00

I just finished reading "Storm Front" by Jim Butcher. It's the first in a series about a private investigator/warlock in a "modern" world that still doesn't believe in magic. Vampires, fairies, mystic cults...it's got all the stuff any good mystic Dark Champions adventure could want. It's quite entertaining and has given me a couple of ideas for magic-related stories/plot devices. Highly recommended.

I just started "Death Masks", 5th book in the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher. Vanguard, good news is that books 2-4 are all fun and consistent. Great series! Bad news, the wait for book 6 may be pure agony!

Finished "Way of the Wolf" by E.E. Knight, book 1 of "The Vampire Earth" series.

Not bad, but drags in many places. Strong ending that finally ignited that page flipping frenzy. I admit to being prejudiced in favor of the book because the author was kind enough to appear on a discussion board that I sometimes frequent.

Perfect, flawless heroes are too simplistic for my taste. I want three-dimensional protagontists that make mistakes and have flaws.

I will probably try book 2 and hope that this new author makes a more believable hero next time out...

I give it a 5 of 10.

Wolves of the Calla, By Stephen King, fifth in the Dark Tower books.

Took longer to read then most, since I was able to ut it down repeatedly. Oveall, good, give it a 7 or 8, but its hard to be objective after Wizard and Glass, which was the finestdamn book King has ever written, IMHO.