Raw STR: Marvel

lensman

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Champsguy

Maybe it's talking about 3 strings on the same bow (?). I know that compound bows have different settings for each "string" (even though they're all actually one cord). I do remember reading that he had a 200-300 lb pull on his bow. But, like you, I've really got no idea how string tension converts to draw strength.

They're 3 separate bows. There are illustrations for each different bow. They are the Longbow, Regular bow, and Compound bow.

Originally posted by gewing

That makes absolutely NO sense. he flat out stated a 300 lb bow in one issue. A 60 lb bow is a nice hunting weight, a 75 lb is heavier than most people use, and an 80 is about the same. I read about a guy hunting in Africa who had a 95 lb longbow.

Well, I can see a couple of possibilities here.

1) Hawkeye was exaggerating to show off.

2) Hawkeye was exaggerating to try to intimidate bad guys.

3) Hawk's good buddy Tony Stark worked out a special vibranium string and special bow system that would allow Clint to get the effect of a "300lb" draw using his normal strength. He can switch the bow up and down power levels as needed.

Originally posted by gewing

That makes absolutely NO sense. he flat out stated a 300 lb bow in one issue. A 60 lb bow is a nice hunting weight, a 75 lb is heavier than most people use, and an 80 is about the same. I read about a guy hunting in Africa who had a 95 lb longbow.

This is from the same people that had the a suit of plate armor weigh 1 ton in an early FF (when they fight diablo - just read it recently). I am skeptical of any written estimate that a writer gives. I've seen longbows with over 100 lb draws (one was custom made for a hunter in alaska). They said he wanted to hunt polar bears (I believe they were serious). Like most, I don't know how that might translate to lifting strength.

• 4 months later...

Re: Raw STR: Marvel

As a crucial side note to the Marvel STR chart' date=' I think it should be noted that Cyclops actually has the strongest neck muscles in the Marvel Universe; otherwise the equal and opposite reaction clause would snap his neck everytime he fired his "concussive force" eye beams :eek::D[/quote']

I suspect that Cyclops has the telekinetic force powers of Havok, and the ability to generate light from his eyes. It is only his limited imagination that links the two...

• 3 months later...

Just for the fun of it, I used the SAGA to Hero conversion posted in another thread. Here are the results ( I have no clue how to make a proper table):

Hulk (non-enraged)100

Silver Surfer 100

Thor 90

Hercules 90

Hyperion 90

Wonder Man 90

Juggernaut 90

Thing 80

She-Hulk 70

Namor 70

Rhino 70

Iron Man 60

Rogue 60

Vision 60

Annihilus 60

Loki 60

Ultron 60

Power Princess 60

Warbird 60

Giant Man 50

Venom 50

Crimson Dynamo 50

Spider-Man 45

Doctor Doom 45

Dreadnought 45

Luke Cage 40

Green Goblin 35

Grim Reaper 30

Sabertooth 25

Captain America 25

Kingpin 23

Black Panther 23

Daredevil 20

Wolverine 20

I don't know about you but to me this table seems about right.

Just for the fun of it, I used the SAGA to Hero conversion posted in another thread. Here are the results ( I have no clue how to make a proper table):

Fun with conversions is always good. For awhile I ran a campaign entirely in the Marvel U, but I'm back in the Champions U again. The MU works good if all the players know the characters.

Hulk (non-enraged)100

Silver Surfer 100

Thor 90

Hercules 90

Hyperion 90

Wonder Man 90

Juggernaut 90

Thing 80

She-Hulk 70

Namor 70

Rhino 70

The upper tiers look ok. I'd probably bump She-Hulk to 75. She is considerably stronger recently.

Iron Man 60

Rogue 60

Vision 60

Annihilus 60

Loki 60

Ultron 60

Power Princess 60

Warbird 60

These seem a little off. Iron Man is stronger than some of these others. I'd say at least 65, maybe 70, on this scale.

Giant Man 50

Venom 50

Crimson Dynamo 50

Spider-Man 45

Doctor Doom 45

Dreadnought 45

Luke Cage 40

Giant-Man? Hank Pym? Should be closer be at least the Thing's level at full height. Luke Cage is about right, but i'd also give him martial arts or a HA because he hits harder than he should given his strength level.

Green Goblin 35

Grim Reaper 30

Sabertooth 25

Captain America 25

Kingpin 23

Black Panther 23

Daredevil 20

Wolverine 20

Goblin is nearly Spider-Man's match in Strength (40-45), the Grim Reaper is normal human levels (20), Sabretooth can crush a iron dumbbell in his hands easily (30), The rest look good on this scale.

I don't know about you but to me this table seems about right.

Given the power levels in the FREd, this matches up about right. A larger spread than I allow for my players. But some of these higher tier people should outpower players.

• 2 years later...
Guest steamteck

This has brought up a question.

In all seriousness, would you give most, if not all, Comic Superheroes, some type of:

2X STUN Vulnerability to Surprise Attacks ?

I mean, this is so in genre!

The mightiest hero goes down hard from a single punch, gunshot, or EB, from their mind-controlled DNPC, or some new stealthy villain that they don't notice until it is too late.

Anyone?

KA.

P.S. I know there is an existing multiplier for Surprise Attacks, but the way a DNPC can take out a Near Brick, with an attack that should bounce right off them, I think a total of 4x might be closer to what I see.

yeah, its very standard sort of thing in our games, Taken a lot on the same rational.

Since when did the MU get so buff? I remember the old MU Rpg, where outside of galactic beings Str topped out at Unearthly which was about 100 tons or 60 Str in Champs. With Hulk getting to Shift Z when mad or about 999 tons or 76 ish in Champs.

Since when did the MU get so buff? I remember the old MU Rpg' date=' where outside of galactic beings Str topped out at Unearthly which was about 100 tons or 60 Str in Champs. With Hulk getting to Shift Z when mad or about 999 tons or 76 ish in Champs.[/quote']

The Champions strength chart was not designed to correlate with the OHotMU: Champs predates the guide. When listing strength scores you must compare raw damage capacity across the board rather then trying to compare it to a guide which even Marvel never followed.

Iron Man once flew through the side of a tank like it was nothing. I tend to discount the marvel "official" numbers, except for them being possibly useful to "rank" the heroes in their respective campaign setting.

Simple suggested rule of thumb: Class 10 STR = about 45 STR, then add 5 points of STR for every 5 "Marvel Tons" of lift capacity. If that's too strong for your campaign, then make it +5 STR per 10 or 15 MT. That'll still peg Spidey at 45-50 STR, and the strongest characters at 70+ STR in champs terms.

Since when did the MU get so buff? I remember the old MU Rpg' date=' where outside of galactic beings Str topped out at Unearthly which was about 100 tons or 60 Str in Champs. With Hulk getting to Shift Z when mad or about 999 tons or 76 ish in Champs.[/quote']

Here we go again. As mentioned previously in this (ancient) thread:

A) Marvel Universe STR is measured as PRESS strength, HERO System STR is measured as DEAD LIFT strength. There is a difference. For a character to PRESS 100 tons in the HERO System, they need more than 60 STR -- 63 to 65 depending on GM interpretation and circumstances.

B) Even Marvel never paid much attention to their own strength estimations, with characters frequently exhibiting however much strength suited the purposes of a particular story. Strength measurements are at best relative and at worst abstract in Marvel, while in the HERO System they are absolutely measured and generally well enforced using the STR lifting and throwing charts.

• 1 year later...
Guest steamteck

I'd have to see the issue with Hyde personally to make a judgement. But I know that Hyde isn't terribly high on the brick pecking order, and tougher bricks such as Rhino need to be beaten by good tactics and trickery rather than brute force.

Numerous unnamed bricks don't impress me. They're functionally equivalent to Hydra or Aim agents.

The first time hyde was "low on chemical power and very weak" and folded like a house of cards. The 2nd time he was at full strength and it was an epic battle and Cap had the help of Batroc the leaper

I prefer to invoke a particular era, or even run of comics, when I define a character's stats. It ensures that anyone reading instantly has an idea of where I'm coming from.

For example, Hulk from Secret Wars? Starting STR well over 100. Held up a mountain and he wasn't even enraged when he started. Hulk from Planet Hulk? Much lower starting strength.

Superman's invulnerability/weaknesses from Infinite crisis? Nearly incalculable. He flies through a red sun and takes no damage at all except for losing his abilities; i.e. goes up against his greatest weakness in its most extreme form and tanks it like a man. Superman's invulnerability/weaknesses from any comic in which Batman needs to be shown kicking his butt? The green K allows an ordinary bloke to bloody him.

If you want to avoid bickering, build for a specific appearance.

~Gabriel

Where is Molly from the Runaways? I know she's not one of Marvel's greatest bricks but she deserves to be on the list. I mean she can lift a car over her head, she punched Wolverine greater than the length of a church ("251 mutants left in the world and she had to be one of them!") and hit the Punisher hard enough that he needed to use all his willpower not to go down ("Will not be floored by a little girl! Will NOT be floored by a little girl!"). Give the girl some her proper respect!