Firefly

Spence

Re: Firefly

I'm going to believe you, principally because I'm absolutely in love with the idea that Nathan Fillion is so incredibly in tune with his fans that he'd sit down and geek out with them.

I heard a clip of audio on a podcast where Jewel Staite is at a con, clearly choked up about how much she loves Firefly/Serenity and how fantastic the fans are... I had to bite my lip to keep from getting choked up myself when I listened to it. And on the latest edition of that podcast, there's this excellent phone interview with Adam Baldwin, where he expresses amazement and gratitude at the devotion of the fans, and that was totally cool.

I do believe that the Firefly/Serenity cast/crew is the coolest, most fan-tuned bunch of entertainers that has stalked the 'verse, mishaps at Canadian comic book stores notwithstanding.

This was my exact impression. I didn't even know any of these people were going to be there. My friend had called me up and said, "Wanna go? My friend dropped out." So I went on her friend's pass. Hooked up with some friends. I asked them what there was to do. "Oh, well, we're painting here, there's open gaming over there, the Firefly cast is over there and the vendors are over there."

"Oh, ok... Wait. WHAT?!" I looked over and there was Nathan and Morena. Holy crap! I went over there and no one was at the booths. Nathan was on the phone, I stood there patiently and he noticed so ended his call to talk to me. After that we shot the sh** for a good half hour. We talked about the show (of course,) other shows, how reality TV sucks and then moved into general BS and kind of a witty banter. Under other circumstances he and I would've probably ended up being friends.

Then he got a call from his agent that he had to take and I talked to Morena. (Who's even hotter in person, if you can believe it.) She seemed impressed that I knew her real name and not just her character name. She was incredibly cool too but had that look on her face that all beautiful women get on their faces at gaming cons. As if the geeks were going to assault her at any second.

Then my friend wanted to get Ray Park's autograph for a friend. He brushed her off to say "Hi" to me. He SWORE up and down that he knew me. It was funny.

But I have digressed. The firefly people are seriously cool

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do believe that the Firefly/Serenity cast/crew is the coolest' date=' most fan-tuned bunch of entertainers that has stalked the 'verse, mishaps at Canadian comic book stores notwithstanding.[/quote']

Haven't had the pleasure yet myself, but everyone I've talked to who has says the same thing. I suspect at least part of it comes from knowing that their BIG BREAK would never have happened if it hadn't been for fan support.

She was incredibly cool too but had that look on her face that all beautiful women get on their faces at gaming cons. As if the geeks were going to assault her at any second.

And who can blame her. :D

bigdamnhero

"In a sense, this is really *your* movie. So if it sucks, it's *your* fault." - Joss Whedon

"In a sense, this is really *your* movie. So if it sucks, it's *your* fault." - Joss Whedon

My sister (a big Buffy fan) and I came close to coming to blows over Firefly. She hates the show, calling it "derviative". I love it. The mention I made of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly only made matters worse.

My sister (a big Buffy fan) and I came close to coming to blows over Firefly. She hates the show' date=' calling it "derviative". I love it. The mention I made of [i']The Good, the Bad and the Ugly[/i] only made matters worse.

ROFL! Derivative? Of what? Westerns?

Yeah, cuz Buffy was such a unique idea. Nobody had EVER heard of Vampires before that show.

ROFL! Derivative? Of what? Westerns?

Yeah, cuz Buffy was such a unique idea. Nobody had EVER heard of Vampires before that show.

She has other problems with the series as well. For one thing, the romantic portrayal of the "companion" character rankled her sensibilities.

Oddly enough, she likes Blakes 7, which is the other sci-fi sereis I compare Firefly with most often. I guess I've been waiting for an American series as dark and lively simultaneously as Blakes 7 for two decades now.

She has other problems with the series as well. For one thing' date=' the romantic portrayal of the "companion" character rankled her sensibilities.[/quote']

The Companion is basically a period geisha -- except the Companion can and will sleep with her clients, most geisha (as I understand it) did not, but simply provided entertainment and company. She's not a romanticized prostitute ala Pretty Woman.

Ok, I watched the entire series almost a year ago when I was home sick for a few days. I took me weeks to live life normally again and not froth at the mouth everytime someone even mentioned the series with my anger over its cancellation. But eventually I evened out and did not go berzerk at every mention of it. (Knowing there was a movie coming out didn't hurt either)

Now you guys have me drooling for the movie and again and have my vain desperate hopes of a series revival in an uproar even though I heard one of the conditions of making the ovie was that there were no considerations for a series revival. (still if the movie does well, I bet if enough dollar signs flashed on front of TV exec's faces, even those morons would figure it out)

I will go one step better and say for me, this series was the best television I have never watched. (Only saw it on DVD). And when I run a SF game you can be sure it will be in this universe. And if there is a bright side to the show's premature end, it would be that so much of the 'verse is wide open for the GM's interpretation and completion. :)

But I have digressed. The firefly people are seriously cool

The stories I could tell from the more naive days of Doctor Who fandom. The late Patrick Troguhton and Jon Pertwee were extremely charming old men. For about four years they staged a mock feud whenever they had to go to events together -- but carried it out in such a way that it was incredibly amusing to the bystanders, so they got many such invitations. Evidently off-stage the two men became friends and, as their acting careers wre in twilight, relished these events passionately.

The story has a tragic ending, however. In 1987 Troughtion was guest of honor at a convention in Atlanta, which he attended despite warnings that his health was beginning to fail due to his long-standing addiction to tobacco. On the first night of the convention he lay down in his hotel room, drifted off to sleep, and died from a massive heart attack. The fandom was utterly stunned. The remaining two days of the convention became a massive wake for Patrick -- Anthony Ainley (the third Master) made his reputation among the fans that weekend by holding everyone together and keeping their spirits up. And although Pertwee did fan events up until a few years before his own death, it was never with the same gusto (an alarming paralell to the effect that the death of his friend Roger Delgado had on his zeal for continuing in the role of the Doctor in 1973-74).

The only way to describe this effect would be to ask you to imagine what would happen had DeForrest Kelley passed away at a convention.

Oddly enough' date=' she likes [i']Blakes 7[/i], which is the other sci-fi sereis I compare Firefly with most often. I guess I've been waiting for an American series as dark and lively simultaneously as Blakes 7 for two decades now.

Hmm. I hadn't thought of it before, but that's not a bad comparison. It may just be the fog of nostalgia, but I'd give the nod to Blake's 7 in terms of plot and interest, while Firefly (cheapo as it is by today's standards) has it all over Blake's 7 in terms of visuals/design and an edge in acting/character.

I must admit though that Vila is by far my favourite character from either series. I modelled my first Traveller character on him!

cheers, Mark

She has other problems with the series as well. For one thing' date=' the romantic portrayal of the "companion" character rankled her sensibilities.[/quote']

Ahhhh... Well it's based off the ideas of the Geisha and the Italian Courtesans of the renaissance. I love the idea... but I could see how some ladies would have a problem with that.

My sister (a big Buffy fan) and I came close to coming to blows over Firefly. She hates the show' date=' calling it "derviative".[/quote']

Just out of curiosity, did she see the series when it originally aired (ie, out of sequence)?

(still if the movie does well' date=' I bet if enough dollar signs flashed on front of TV exec's faces, even those morons would figure it out)[/quote']

Ah, but the only thing more important than money to "the suits" is their egos. Fox still owns the TV rights. If the movie does well, it makes Universal look good and Fox look like idiots. But at least then they can claim "It just wasn't a good TV property..." Putting the show back on the air would only confirm what morons they were in the first place. So as much as I would love to see the show back on the air, I ain't holding my breath. :(

bigdamnhero

"...And that’s when I shot him, your honor."

Ah, but the only thing more important than money to "the suits" is their egos. Fox still owns the TV rights. If the movie does well, it makes Universal look good and Fox look like idiots. But at least then they can claim "It just wasn't a good TV property..." Putting the show back on the air would only confirm what morons they were in the first place. So as much as I would love to see the show back on the air, I ain't holding my breath. :(

bigdamnhero

"...And that’s when I shot him, your honor."

You give the suits too much credit. In order for you to be right the following would have to be true. The Suits would have to:

A) be able to read the word "moron"

B) be able to read other words.

C) be able to understand what a dictionary is

D) be able to use the dictionary and look up the word "moron"

E) discover the meaning of the word "moron" as it applies to them.

Right now they probably think it is a complement.

Personally I think it is all inbreeding among the network types. You know brother marries sister and so on. After a while you can tell. Even on Scifi. I was never a great fan of Farscape, but it wasn't a major mental feat to understand the show was a hit. Until they cut it of course. And don't bring up Dead Like Me..... gggrrrrrr......

I didn't see a link to the movie website in this thread so...

http://www.serenitymovie.com

I recommend checking out the Browncoats website as well. I saw Serenity June 23 in Chicago and it was very good. A few very minor continuity things were changed so that an audience that had not watched the show could get follow what was going on. I hope y'all plan to be in a theater on September 30 to see the Big Damn Heroes.

ACK!!!

The site makes it unclear now. Is Sheppard Book in the movie? He was not in the Crew pic but was in one or two other pics. But I can't tell if the pics were all from the movie or some episode, I am just not remembering. I hav ehopes of one day discovering what it was about his past that makes him who he is in the series.

He even had the best line (IMO) in the entire show!

"The bible is a little fuzzy on the topic of Knee caps!"

He was definitely at Comic Con - he was part of the panel interview that some kind Firefly fan videotaped and made available on the fireflyfans.net website as a download. The discussion was held during the filming of Serenity. All nine original crew were there and in it.

He was definitely at Comic Con - he was part of the panel interview that some kind Firefly fan videotaped and made available on the fireflyfans.net website as a download. The discussion was held during the filming of Serenity. All nine original crew were there and in it.

Yah! :thumbup:

The site makes it unclear now. Is Sheppard Book in the movie?

Book *is* in the movie, `tho his part is a little smaller than I might've hoped for.

bigdamnhero

“I’m a busy man and I can’t be bothered to punch you at the moment. Here is my fist; kindly run towards it as fast as you can.â€

The magic of move previews. The Serenity trailer looks really cool' date=' so I'm tempted to see the movie. But I never really liked Firefly, so I'll probably wait on reviews. Still, it's definitely looking interesting.[/quote']

I have a bunch of friends who've seen rough cuts and advanced copies. They all say the same thing. "WOW!" It's already being talked about as the best science fiction movie they've ever seen or just as the best movie they've ever seen.

But if you don't like Firefly I don't know what to say. There must be something SERIOUSLY wrong with you! :D

Strange. I LIKED the depiction of a prostitute character who was widely accepted and even respected amongst most of the social groups. Was her problem with the role itself, or with the fact that she was a love interest for Mal? Because neither bothered me; I found the whole thing to be an interesting commentary on modern America's ideas about sex and those who provide it.

To me it sounded like that was her problem with it.

:nonp:

'Cause god forbid you should question society's messed-up views about sexuality.

Sorry. That came out snarkier than I intended. Basically, I've always thought it was weird that we base our morality on what some people who fled England 400 years ago 'cause it wasn't prudish enough thought. And, while I'd never choose the profession for myself or any female I know, I think the current attitudes toward it have to change.

Book is in the movie, I spoke to Ron Glass (the actor who plays Book) at GenCon and he confirmed it.

I also ran 3 sessions of Firefly Hero (using the crew as PCs, set right after Objects In Space), which were VERY well received. Hijinks ensued.