Longest Running Thread EVER

This is an experiment. What we have is an attempt by me to create the longest running, NON game thread. Our record to beat, is the Catsuit thread. Quite a challange. And we are going to have to keep this thing as best we can. Threads and Tangents are welcome. Getting it locked is not desired. Now all we need is a launching point.

What does everyone feel about the Red Sox "Curse"? And are you aware that this year Stephen King is going to every game and will be writing a book about the season.

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

TWhat does everyone feel about the Red Sox "Curse"? And are you aware that this year Stephen King is going to every game and will be writing a book about the season.

Given how badly his stuff has stunk lately (according to some friends of mine who read his stories) just his doing that ought to break the curse! (Fight fire with fire, or a curse with a worse curse. :) )

Given how badly his stuff has stunk lately (according to some friends of mine who read his stories) just his doing that ought to break the curse! (Fight fire with fire' date=' or a curse with a worse curse. :) )[/quote']

What are you talking about, his books have been golden lately?

What are you talking about' date=' his books have been golden lately?[/quote']

Not sure, really...as I said, this is according to some friends of mine who read his work. While I've read a couple of his, they didn't seem all that great to me...sort of a "Uhm, okay...what's all the fuss about? Why is he considered so great?"

Given how badly his stuff has stunk lately (according to some friends of mine who read his stories)

So how can you tell his stuff as of late from the older stuff then? ;)

Never been much of a King fan, probably because when I first was introduced to his stuff I was told it was horror. It does not, IMNSHO, qualify...

By the way, just a notion: There are about 35 posters with postcounts above 1,500 (meaning they are frequent posters) who are still active and are often found in NGD. That's only about 38 posts each to beat the 'Catsuit' thread.

C'mon, folks, we ought to be able to do that standing on our heads! Shall we show a bit of 'community spirit', all pitch in, and do our part?

So how can you tell his stuff as of late from the older stuff then? ;)

Never been much of a King fan, probably because when I first was introduced to his stuff I was told it was horror. It does not, IMNSHO, qualify...

Me and Stephen King

A post written by Super Squirrel

My parents stopped reading Stephen King after Cujo which is quite the story as to why. You see, when I was 2, my aunt had Stephen King over for dinner. My parents were there and as I was 2, I was long as well. Dinner went well and fine and dandy. Then out comes Cujo about 6 months later. Both my parents were shocked. The description of the boy fit me perfectly. And, well, dog eats boy and boy dies.

So I'm in a Stephen King book and I'm dead. I love his stuff, The Stand is my favorite. The Dark Tower series is his dream child and I'm greatly looking forward to the end. I don't expect others to like him, but I'm always surprised when people say his work is just the same old thing. That is his style. His books are always fresh and new.

What does everyone feel about the Red Sox "Curse"?
Up until this moment I had never heard of it' date=' so I'm not too fussed one way or the other. I'm only vaguely aware the Red Sox are a baseball team. No idea which city/state.
And are you aware that this year Stephen King is going to every game and will be writing a book about the season.
No, I was even more ignorant about this than the curse thing. If that's possible.

King's pretty good. I think he's more deserving of his rep than Crichton is.
We (being everyone in my apartment) just read an aweful article written by Crichton. It was about how Environmentalism has turned into a religion. The problem with the article is that he sites at one point that people just don't do any research into things. He further claims that oil is not going to run out and there have been no real harm caused by DDT. He provides no sources or bibliography. Best we can figure, this was his attempt to get people furious to go out and actually research this claim. But even if it was the case.... blah! Bad Crichton!

There is one thing that Crichton and King have in common. Take a book and turn it into a movie and the movie is going to overly suck.

I LOVE Jurassic Park. Don't get me wrong, but if you read the book, you can see that Speilberg totally destroyed a phenominal possibility at his fingertips.

Me and Stephen King

A post written by Super Squirrel

My parents stopped reading Stephen King after Cujo which is quite the story as to why. You see, when I was 2, my aunt had Stephen King over for dinner. My parents were there and as I was 2, I was long as well. Dinner went well and fine and dandy. Then out comes Cujo about 6 months later. Both my parents were shocked. The description of the boy fit me perfectly. And, well, dog eats boy and boy dies.

So I'm in a Stephen King book and I'm dead. I love his stuff, The Stand is my favorite. The Dark Tower series is his dream child and I'm greatly looking forward to the end. I don't expect others to like him, but I'm always surprised when people say his work is just the same old thing. That is his style. His books are always fresh and new.

Cool. I know a lot of people that really enjoy King's work. I'm perfectly willing to accept that it is tea, just not my cuppa. :) I don't have any particular problem with his stuff, outside the fact that I'm not very fond of it. Just like country music. I can't stand it, and it is in fact about the only kind of music that I can't even tune out, it just annoys me the entire time I can hear it. But it doesn't surprise me that other people like it a great deal. I don't consider it to not be music, or that people that like it are somehow "wrong", I just don't have any interest in hearing it myself.

Wow...rambling more than usual...must be about bedtime...