Longest Running Thread EVER

What is it with our healthcare system that you can only get sick or hurt during regular business hours or else there are no doctors and/or it'll cost a fortune?  I'm pissed.  As it is we're having to switch insurance plans this month so if we get sick or hurt between Christmas and New Year's the office will have to backdate our new enrollment which will cost another fifteen hundred dollars and yet I'm supposed to be happy I can get any insurance at all.  Especially when my wife has a preexisting condition, as does older boy if you count the allergies.

I actually wasn't teeing off on cost there; it was a backreference to an incident 15+ years back.  Daughter (age 3 or so) got something one evening that put her temperature up to 103F.  We hauled her into the HMO's after-hours facility.  Reported in, but the room was full of 3 or 4 dozen gomers (acronym: Get Out of My Emergency Room, a perjorative over here for age 70+ old men with symptoms that probably aren't lethal but scare them).  We sat around for a couple of hours being ignored and left since we hadn't seen anyone actually leave the waiting room).

There's a reason why everyone called that HMO "Group Death".

We actually got a lecture as part of our beginning of year inservice meetings a couple of years back about using the InstaCare. They said that the widespread use of InstaCare facilities by District employees was driving up our healthcare costs, and that our insurance premiums were going to increase as a result. They specifically told us, "Don't go to the InstaCare if you don't have to."

At the risk of going political ... medical care in the US is subject to the unstated class system.  Rich people get what they want.  Poor people aren't supposed to.  Otherwise, what would be the point of being rich?  That Obamacare was ostensibly an attempt to make for equal access is deeply offensive to folks who comfort themselves as having Those People to look down upon.  So, the cost mechanisms, for no clear reason, are ratcheting up to maintain that status, so that poor folks -- as ought to be the case -- don't get real medical care.

Class and race are easy to conflate here, but to automatically assume race here is an error; poor rural whites are also among the people who aren't s'posed to live decently.