Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

They're doing just fine. :) Three are sleeping, and Erin is settling down. She's teething, so she's not a very happy camper these days. :(

How are you and yours doing? :)

My niece is teething too, her 1st birthday in a couple of days. She can walk and loves her grandparents.

One is 2 and as always at that age cute, fun, and a handful. He is very definately got his own mind and states so frequently.

The eldest is nearly five, one month approx to go. I'm sure he is counting the sleeps. He went from Pre-school straight to Transition (he skipped Pre-Transition) and is just starting playing sport.

My niece is teething too, her 1st birthday in a couple of days. She can walk and loves her grandparents.

One is 2 and as always at that age cute, fun, and a handful. He is very definately got his own mind and states so frequently.

The eldest is nearly five, one month approx to go. I'm sure he is counting the sleeps. He went from Pre-school straight to Transition (he skipped Pre-Transition) and is just starting playing sport.

Excellent. :) The twins are five, Faith's four, and Erin will be one toward the end of May, so I'm very familiar with the ages you're talking about. :)

The only Crichton books I've read are Congo and Jurassic Park. I thought both were incredibly fun. I also think JP the movie is a wonderful piece of work. I can't bear to watch Congo all the way through.

I find that Crichton comes up with really good concepts but falls down in the execution. For example I hated every character in JP and really wanted the dinosaurs to eat everyone. The movie was outstanding, but I consider that to be less Crichton and more Spielberg. Congo the movie was really terrible.

Guest WhammeWhamme

By the way, just a notion: There are about 35 posters with postcounts above 1,500 (meaning they are frequent posters) who are still active and are often found in NGD. That's only about 38 posts each to beat the 'Catsuit' thread.

C'mon, folks, we ought to be able to do that standing on our heads! Shall we show a bit of 'community spirit', all pitch in, and do our part?

I'll toss ONE post this way. More and I'll feel like I'm contributing to the overproliferation of 'threads that ain't what NGD oughta be about'.

It's depressing. I want to boost my post count, but no one cooperates... :(

By the way, just a notion: There are about 35 posters with postcounts above 1,500 (meaning they are frequent posters) who are still active and are often found in NGD. That's only about 38 posts each to beat the 'Catsuit' thread.

C'mon, folks, we ought to be able to do that standing on our heads! Shall we show a bit of 'community spirit', all pitch in, and do our part?

I'm trying, this should make lucky 13.

All in the name of Community Spirit, Dr. A pass the non-alcoholic wine over here.

:rockon:

I think we should factor in the WGAC Index. That stands for "Who Gives A Crap?" It uses the number of views a thread has to modify its number of replies. Based on my entirely unscientific observation, the average thread has roughly ten time the number of views as it does replies. So the WGAC Index is calculated by (views / replies * 10).

Here are the WGAC Indices for the threads with the most replies:

WAG1 .334

WAG2 .304

A&Q .657

Q&A .589

random about random .792

WAG1.5 .286

random 1.028

catsuit 2.239

opposites game .375

You can see that the game threads suck for WGAC, and sex definitely sells. So if we multiply the total replies by the WGAC Index, here are the current thread champs with their modified size:

WAG1 4834

catsuit 2976

WAG2 2400

random about random 2260

A&Q 2177

Q&A 1736

random 1524

WAG1.5 530

opposites game 440

WAG1 still wins by virtue of sheer volume, but one Catsuit reply is worth almost seven WAG1 replies. Now we have a more realistic goal to which this thread can aspire, a possible methodology to calculate how well we're doing, and scientific proof that I've got way too much time on my hands this morning.

-AA

I think we should factor in the WGAC Index. That stands for "Who Gives A Crap?" It uses the number of views a thread has to modify its number of replies. Based on my entirely unscientific observation, the average thread has roughly ten time the number of views as it does replies. So the WGAC Index is calculated by (views / replies * 10).

Here are the WGAC Indices for the threads with the most replies:

WAG1 .334

WAG2 .304

A&Q .657

Q&A .589

random about random .792

WAG1.5 .286

random 1.028

catsuit 2.239

opposites game .375

You can see that the game threads suck for WGAC, and sex definitely sells. So if we multiply the total replies by the WGAC Index, here are the current thread champs with their modified size:

WAG1 4834

catsuit 2976

WAG2 2400

random about random 2260

A&Q 2177

Q&A 1736

random 1524

WAG1.5 530

opposites game 440

WAG1 still wins by virtue of sheer volume, but one Catsuit reply is worth almost seven WAG1 replies. Now we have a more realistic goal to which this thread can aspire, a possible methodology to calculate how well we're doing, and scientific proof that I've got way too much time on my hands this morning.

-AA

I appoint you official WGAC man. Keep us informed of our progress.

I find that Crichton comes up with really good concepts but falls down in the execution. For example I hated every character in JP and really wanted the dinosaurs to eat everyone. The movie was outstanding' date=' but I consider that to be less Crichton and more Spielberg. Congo the movie was really terrible.[/quote']

I had no problem with Crichton's characters. But then generally I'm not the sort who dislikes a character and wants to see him killed. Annoying, imperfect, opinionated and/or self-serving characters are just fine for me. Quite interesting, in fact. The only archetype I don't care for is the uber-competant ne'er-do-wrong hero who runs around telling & showing everyone else how they're losers compared to him. Which is why I've never made it past the first hundred pages of a Jack Ryan novel.

-AA

Hey' date=' AA, isn't it about time you updated your info to "Triple Millennial Master"? Or are you waiting to hit 4k posts so you can become a "Double (Double Millennial Master)"? :)[/quote']

I've never touched that text, to be honest. I figured it would roll over by itself to something appropriate. I hadn't noticed that it didn't. Since I don't really follow post counts, do you have any other suggestions?

-AA

I had no problem with Crichton's characters. But then generally I'm not the sort who dislikes a character and wants to see him killed. Annoying, imperfect, opinionated and/or self-serving characters are just fine for me. Quite interesting, in fact. The only archetype I don't care for is the uber-competant ne'er-do-wrong hero who runs around telling & showing everyone else how they're losers compared to him. Which is why I've never made it past the first hundred pages of a Jack Ryan novel.

-AA

I've never read Crichton, but I also prefer "normal" people to the Doc Savage "I can do anything" types. And even you do have such a character, they are only offensive if they have no real flaws.

Stephen King? Meh. It's not that he's a bad writer or anything. His prose is easy enough to read and I've got quite engaged with some of the characters in the books I've read. It's just that I don't like having to read approx. the length of the average short novel as he tries to create the utterly spurious sense of normality which we know he's just going to ditch eventually anyway. This is just a waste of time, and not good writing, IMO. ;)

I've never read Crichton' date=' but I also prefer "normal" people to the Doc Savage "I can do anything" types. And even you [b']do[/b] have such a character, they are only offensive if they have no real flaws.

Yeah, I don't mind a super-competant character, as long as they're not also right all the time.

-AA

Stephen King? Meh. It's not that he's a bad writer or anything. His prose is easy enough to read and I've got quite engaged with some of the characters in the books I've read. It's just that I don't like having to read approx. the length of the average short novel as he tries to create the utterly spurious sense of normality which we know he's just going to ditch eventually anyway. This is just a waste of time' date=' and not good writing, IMO. ;)[/quote']

That's very interesting. I've always regarded it as essential for a horror writer to establish reality before shattering it. Is it that concept you dislike, or just the amount of time it takes for King to do it?

-AA

I've never touched that text, to be honest. I figured it would roll over by itself to something appropriate. I hadn't noticed that it didn't. Since I don't really follow post counts, do you have any other suggestions?

-AA

Not really. Some people do "Triple Millennial Master", "Quadruple Millennial Master", etc. Some do something a bit different, but related: for a while I was a "Millennial Abnormal" (having worked my way up from "Skilled (Ab)Normal") and Klytus is a "Millennial Mage". Others have abandoned the "Millennial" thing altogether, either as passe or just because they want something different. Heck, for that matter, leave it as "Double Millennial Master" if you so desire...I was more poking a bit of fun than making a serious attempt to get you to change your descriptor. :)

I never got the point of horror. I'm supposed to scare myself as a form of entertainment?

Although I must admit, if I ever need a good laugh, I just watch a horror movie.

Doc

Horror has never really been my cup of tea, either. Some of it actively repulses me (the "buckets o' blood and gore" approach) but most of it just leaves me uninterested.

I've been told by a number of people that I run a very good horror RPG scenario, though. :) (I occassionally do those by request...since they're not something I care for, I don't start/write them on my own. If I do decide to do one on request, though, you can bet your bottom dollar I'm going to try my darndest to deliver what the person wants. Evidently I have. :) )