megas XLR Question

Michael Hopcroft

Just saw two episodes of Cartoon Networlk's new mecha comedy Megas XLR, and while I admit I laughed my silly head off, after picking it up and screwing it back on I was wondering how I would handle this sort of thing in an RPG campaign.

The story is about a fgat, lazy car nut finding a mecha from the future in a new jersey junkyard anf, not knowing how it's supposed to work, mading several heavy modififications to it (including using a '69 Mustang as the robot's head). Oddly enough, the mods all work, her turns out to have a natural talenbt for drviving the thing, and when the mech's creators show up to claim it he proves capable of fighting them off 9and leveling much of the city in the process), not to mention royally ticking off the resistant fighter from the future who has also come to claim the mech (which she originally stole herself from its alien creators and had planned to send back into the past -- just not quite that far....)

I don't know whwther I'd want to make Coop (the "hero" of the series) pay character points for MEGAS. But he does have a natural affinity for machines from spending hios whole life around super-modified cars and video games. He's alsoa fat, lazy slob with no social skills and a constant trial for the reisstance fighter from the future. Since this is a show clearly aimed at American teenage boys, the only romantic sparks we are lilely to see will come from fanfiction.net.

The Megas itself should also be fun to write up, although not only have we not seen everything it can do but Coop is constantly adjusting, improving and adding new capabilities to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: megas XLR Question

I think technically Coop would have to pay points for the Megas. He'd be a pretty expensive character himself. Definately has good technical skills (and average Int at best), loads of skill levels with mecha piloting and combat. I wouldn't give him much innate dexterity, a moderately high strength though. He seems to have Luck as well.

• 3 weeks later...

There is no reason not to (charge character points). Technically, Jamie, Coop, and Kiva could split the points on a vehicle pool to build the Megas.

BTW: Coop could be easily modeled by +Dex (Only for video games and giant mecha -1/2, and 5pt skill levels)

There is no reason not to (charge character points). Technically, Jamie, Coop, and Kiva could split the points on a vehicle pool to build the Megas.

BTW: Coop could be easily modeled by +Dex (Only for video games and giant mecha -1/2, and 5pt skill levels)

Megas would be a heaping bunch of points. I guess all the new Hunted would help.

From the show so far, I'd call Jamie a DNPC (Less Pow, 14-) as he's constantly in the show and needs allot of saving.

Kiva I'd put as a Compentent or starting Hero with fairly rounded combat and technical skills. She's probably more proficent in the "high tech" end of things while Coop is more mechanical and has an intitutive understanding of machines (skill levels with Mechanics/Electronics based on Luck maybe?)

Could be some pretty cool characters to write up.

From the show so far, I'd call Jamie a DNPC (Less Pow, 14-) as he's constantly in the show and needs allot of saving.

It's difficult, Jamie is not a typical NPC, on his activation roll, instead of needing to be save, he accidently does something unhelpful. I hope he's just an 11- or less.

"Don't complain, it's your turn at Kiva Duty." - Koop to Jamie as Jamie and Kiva go to the mall to get Kiva clothes that don't stand out.

"Yes, but does it have the stopping power of reflective titanium armor?" - Kiva

It's apparent that, like most TV shows, no attempt was made to balance any of the characters against each other. Coop and Kiva have an equal amount of points, with Coop having the highest technical skills (and loads of Luck) and Kiva having a healthy dose of Tactics, Analyze Combat Technique, and a raft of KSs. Maybe Jaimie paid for the mech?

It's apparent that' date=' like most TV shows, no attempt was made to balance any of the characters against each other. Coop and Kiva have an equal amount of points, with Coop having the highest technical skills (and loads of Luck) and Kiva having a healthy dose of Tactics, Analyze Combat Technique, and a raft of KSs. Maybe Jaimie paid for the mech?[/quote']

Coop paid for the Megas. He paid two bucks. Then he got it woprking and smashed the parts he couldn;t fix -- including the Time Flux Controller that stranded Kiva in 2004.

I think Kiva is a perfect candidate for the "unfamailair with Contemporary Culutre" Phsyica;l Limitation. Nothing about pour contemporary world seems to sink in. She probably really believes modern clothing is effective bpody armor, because that sales clerk told her so. This isn;t the same as naivete -- if Jamie were putting moves on her she'd know it (and he'd know soon afterwards just how bad an idea that was!). Put her in front of a television and heaven knows what she'd think (personbally, though, she;d better learn the difference betwen live-action and animation or she'll get the hots for Heero Yuy....)

• 1 month later...

Anyone see the "Junk in the Trunk" episode? Megas was bench pressing 50 tons. Extra weight was added, and Coop broke Megas trying to lift it.

Never said how much more was added, but doubt that it was doubled.

Am I doing my math right? Lifting 50 tonns is right about the STR 65-68 range? Anybody else think that's light for Megas?