The cranky thread

Hermit

The computer had to be taken in for a check. The screen had not been showing anything and the PC needed a reboot in order to show properly. Turned out the screen had died. So new screen but a day off. However the PC had done an update the night before that needed completing in the morning and we did not know if that had taken place.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The main phone line has been out since Saturday. First time anyone could come out is Tuesday. Except we get a note from the door saying they tried to come in etc. So we rearrange to have the engineer come back Wednesday. Texts come from the engineer saying he is on his way (Tuesday) an hour later. Up early to meet the engineer who had allegedly turned up at 8:15 on Tuesday. Turned up at 10:30 this time. Had to call in back up and it took until 15:00 to sort out. They had to check the outside line and the inside sockets. End of the day we have lost the extension in the kitchen as the phone socket and phone wire to the extension there are corroded. This means no answerphone anymore. 

One of the worst Cold/Flu occurrences ever. It has been taking the Magical Mystery Tour of my body's functions. Latest, I cannot hear out of my left ear and the pain is approximately equivalent to somebody having driven a barbed ice pick in my ear and is currently twisting it around. Looking online, the general advice is that these things go away in 2-4 days. I am now on day 2. Going to give it a couple of more. Normally I don't even get sick and when I do, it usually is a 24-hour thing. Today is one week from the onset symptoms. 

Hate to bitch about it but man does this hurt. I have not slept more than two hours since yesterday. Sitting up seems to help, as does OTC pain meds. Currently taking anti-congestant in the hopes that it is related to swelling in the sinus cavity and that will alleviate some of the discomfort. Going to try warm compresses throughout the night.

Again, sorry to bitch.

I had a situation sort of like that 3 or 4 years ago, starting in mid November or so. Really unpleasant cold or something that lasted for weeks. Right ear filled with fluid. The pain you describe didn't last long, fortunately, and was accompanied with enough other discomfort I didn't notice it, or, perhaps, I was too reduced in capacity to make much note of anything. The ear stayed filled for months; I was down 30 dB of sensitivity in that ear.

Finally resorted to having a tube put in that ear. That cleared it, but it was an impressive bout of vertigo for that first minute while the pressure released and the semicircular canals restored themselves to normal. No real trouble after that.

Gods I hope it does not come to that. I've had broken bones, been stabbed, ran over by a car, hyper-extended limbs and I get a migraine that knocks me down about once a month. NONE of those hurt as bad as this earache. Drugs that induce deep sleep have been the only balm against that. I now know what my limits are to withstanding torture. All they gotta do is mess with my ears.

I've actually had this happen in the other ear about 18 years ago. The infection was so bad that the doc completely lost his bedside manner when he looked into the ear. His words. as I recall them, were. "Holy crap! How were you able to walk into this ER? That's the worst inflammation I've ever seen in an adult."

That was actually the last time I've seen a doctor too. Since then, the web is full of medical advice and I am currently uninsured. If I can get the earache to disappear within the next day or so, then I've saved myself some money.

I asked my co-worker to read all of the notes on a trouble ticket, and then tell me what the next step should be. He read the header, and a little bit of the initial request, and then decided (wrongly) what was needed. I asked him to fully read all of the notes. THREE. MORE. TIMES.

He had a switch name and a switch port, and was asked to locate the computer connected to it. He knew that the cable was 4 to 5 meters long, and that the computer needed to be within the IDF where the switch was located. Off he went to the other property.

I then got the first call, where he told me that it was some sort of equipment belonging to a telecom vendor, as that was what was connected to the patch panel. Switch, I told him. What is the name of the switch that you are standing in front of? He rattled off some ID from the telecom vendor. I corrected him, and asked him to give me the name of the switch he was looking for, and then reminded him that he needed to trace the line from the port on the switch.

Second call, he told me that he had to go to a different IDF closet, and that the item hooked up to the patch panel was some sort of other equipment. I repeated the conversation again that he was looking for a port on a switch, and to trace the line from the switch to the device.

Third call, he told me that it was some sort of computer that was hooked up to the patch panel. Repeated conversation again.

Fourth call, he told me that he was having difficulty finding anything hooked up to this patch panel. I got a little testy, and told him that he's looking for a switch, not a patch panel, and that I had told him that on the other three calls, and that's what it said on the notes in his hand. He said he'd go back and look again.

Text message, giving the ID of a computer in our AD (the target device wasn't in our AD), I pinged the computer, found a different IP address than the one he was looking for, and sent that information back, with a message to please verify.

I clocked out and started to drive home.

Cell phone in my pocket fires off the clown horn (incoming text message), then fires it off again. I get home. Look at the message, and he's located a different device. I send a message to write everything up, and I'll review it when I get in tomorrow. Longish gap, then he sends back that the original opener of the ticket has confirmed that it is the correct device.

The thing is, it's like this almost every time he attempts to troubleshoot anything. He's been with the company almost 5 months now, and there's literally no progress whatsoever. He spent a couple of days with another tech at a different location last week, and I received an email from that tech saying that "he f***ing doesn't listen". Unfortunately, this scene comes to mind whenever I deal with him.

After tomorrow, I'll be on vacation and out of the office for 9 days. He'll have several projects, and end of month, and whatever stuff comes in, and I'll be dreading coming back to whatever mess he's left.