The cranky thread

Hermit

On 11/9/2017 at 11:37 PM, Clonus said:

I had to rescue a copy of Zarlyn Software's Quickdice from my functionally dead laptop to put on my new computer because there are no good dice roller computer programs on the web now.  It's all android app crap designed for the limitations of touch screens.  Which are substantial.  It took me about an hour to reanimate the zombie and search for and transfer the damn thing.  

Have you looked to see whether you can get something you can use cobbled together out of random.org's free tools?

Between reflux, a cough, and a particularly frustrating recurring dream, I don't think I slept for more than 30 minutes in a stretch at any time last night.

Today is gonna suck.

(But hey, at least I have a dental appointment to look forward to this afternoon!)

On 11/9/2017 at 3:26 PM, Cancer said:

New machine arrived.  Two issues.  Fixed one.

Turns out that the new MacOS came with a broken pointer to the shell for the Terminal app.  That can be fixed (and I did).

I think there's a new layer of mommy-may-I in the app install game, but I haven't had time to get that demonstrated incontrovertibly yet.  Until then, I can't get MacVim to run.  Annoying, but not as critically necessary as the Terminal shell pointer thing.

I also forgot to check something obvious: printing, which was already known to be a kluge even with the old machine.

Yes, the printer interface is dead full-stop broken.  Clues suggest the DFUAs intentionally misconfgured the printer control web interface to continue to make use  of a deprecated feature, and the newer software won't permit connection to the site at all.

And now I find that they have a second account and are pilfering art on that one as well. So reported that one as well. I could not get to their Instagram account but am suspicious.

The good news is that the first account has had the pilfered art removed. And both artists are aware of what is happening and are taking action.

5 minutes ago, Cancer said:

The "Trace and reply with enhanced radiation nukes" button really needs to be on my telephone, if only for the call-up "computer service" scammers at 7:36 AM on Saturday.

The scammers waited until 9:59AM this morning for my call, which was intercepted by my Panasonic phone. I had blocked the same number a few weeks ago, after the "tech support agent" had hung up on me. I'm beginning to suspect that they have notes on my phone number that only appear after the auto-dialer connects them about how I like to string them along.

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 10:30 AM, Pariah said:

Between reflux, a cough, and a particularly frustrating recurring dream, I don't think I slept for more than 30 minutes in a stretch at any time last night.

Today is gonna suck.

(But hey, at least I have a dental appointment to look forward to this afternoon!)

Hey, I had a dental appointment the day after this post.

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 6:41 PM, Ternaugh said:

My car has lost one of its wheel covers. I'm trying to decide if I remove the rest, or buy a replacement.

On the other hand, it's refreshing to have such a minor gripe for a change.

Do like me one time, just ignore it for a year until you replace it.

7 hours ago, Badger said:

Do like me one time, just ignore it for a year until you replace it.

In theory, it will affect aerodynamics just a bit and drop my MPG by perhaps 1-2 MPG if I remove all of them. That said, the car's running at around 46 MPG for this tank of gas so far (more longer trips for me), so I don't think it's a major problem.

As a follow up to my previous posts about the art thief, his accounts have been deleted or deactivated. Quite the troll, they insisted that they had done the artwork despite people who commissioned specific pieces calling him on it. They also had 'wife',  'sister' and 'friend' calling people on it saying they had witnessed him doing it.

18 hours ago, death tribble said:

As a follow up to my previous posts about the art thief, his accounts have been deleted or deactivated. Quite the troll, they insisted that they had done the artwork despite people who commissioned specific pieces calling him on it. They also had 'wife',  'sister' and 'friend' calling people on it saying they had witnessed him doing it.

Thanks for looking out for us artists.  

So ... the triennial training compliance-with-regulations stuff.  It ain't loading.  Go to the FAQ about why.  Hmm, I have security settings on my browser screwed down as tight as I can, and that could be an issue.  Select the link on what to loosen up so it'll load.  404 error.

DFUA's.

We finally have our tiny house about seven months later than expected.  I don't want to learn towing 10,000 lbs in the winter...

It's also very ironic hearing the builder gripe about how the wood stove supplier was late on delivery.  (If he had ordered the damn thing when we cut the check in April, maybe it wouldn't have been so late?)

Couple things still need to be done which the builder is allegedly coming out on Wednesday to do, so we might be able to at least move into it Thursday.  Thankful for good friends that have let us stay here since May.

Oh, and cranky bit with Amazon, or at least one shipper.  They claim to have dropped off a package at 5:30pm last night.  I was working on the house, so would have noticed if a delivery vehicle had come by at that time...

On 11/28/2017 at 8:08 PM, lemming said:

Package has been found. Was delivered to neighbor.  Now just waiting for two more power bits, and find out from the builder why we have the wrong sex plug for input.  Hopefully he'll sort that out tomorrow and we'll have our tiny house livable.

And yes, he delayed again.  Will be here Saturday.  I've worked on vaporware projects with better deliverables.