Hermit

The cranky thread

On 11/9/2017 at 11:37 PM, Clonus said:

I had to rescue a copy of Zarlyn Software's Quickdice from my functionally dead laptop to put on my new computer because there are no good dice roller computer programs on the web now.  It's all android app crap designed for the limitations of touch screens.  Which are substantial.  It took me about an hour to reanimate the zombie and search for and transfer the damn thing.  

Have you looked to see whether you can get something you can use cobbled together out of random.org's free tools?

Between reflux, a cough, and a particularly frustrating recurring dream, I don't think I slept for more than 30 minutes in a stretch at any time last night.

Today is gonna suck.

(But hey, at least I have a dental appointment to look forward to this afternoon!)

On 11/9/2017 at 3:26 PM, Cancer said:

New machine arrived.  Two issues.  Fixed one.

Turns out that the new MacOS came with a broken pointer to the shell for the Terminal app.  That can be fixed (and I did).

I think there's a new layer of mommy-may-I in the app install game, but I haven't had time to get that demonstrated incontrovertibly yet.  Until then, I can't get MacVim to run.  Annoying, but not as critically necessary as the Terminal shell pointer thing.

I also forgot to check something obvious: printing, which was already known to be a kluge even with the old machine.

Yes, the printer interface is dead full-stop broken.  Clues suggest the DFUAs intentionally misconfgured the printer control web interface to continue to make use  of a deprecated feature, and the newer software won't permit connection to the site at all.