The cranky thread

Hermit

1 hour ago, tkdguy said:

Unfortunately, my uncle received the Last Rites earlier today. His cancer had spread. It was the chemo that destroyed his heart, which had up to then been healthy.

I know much more about this sort of thing than I wish I did, and it has a very familiar sound to it.  My condolences.

14 hours ago, tkdguy said:

Unfortunately, my uncle received the Last Rites earlier today. His cancer had spread. It was the chemo that destroyed his heart, which had up to then been healthy.

That's the problem with chemotherapy (and radiation treatment). It's the medical equivalent of carpet bombing—take out everything, and hope that the healthy tissue recovers faster than the cancer can. Sometimes it doesn't turn out that way.

My deepest condolences to you and your family.

• 3 weeks later...

I am trying to save a family member from doing incredibly stupid things...

but as they have never listened to me, it's mostly a cause of stress and futility.

When it all goes to hell, AGAIN, you can bet they'll want me to assist in the clean up though

Hermit, is this a repetition of something they screwed up before, against your advice? If it is, they're just going to keep on using you to help save them, unless you draw the line.

I don't know your specific situation, so it probably isn't my place to give advice. But you warned them, again. They ignored you, again. They screwed up, again. It's not your responsibility to always clean up the mess they made that you told them how to avoid. I know standing your ground is tough to do when it involves family, but they'll never change their pattern unless they face the consequences. If that makes them angry with you, well, maybe you're better off parting ways.

Edited by Lord Liaden

Much appreciated, LL. Unfortunately I cannot break entirely, but I have made my feelings clear, and while I felt like an ass doing it, reminded them of the last time they didn't listen (Which I am sure sounds like an "I told you so"); I've been assured all will be well yadda yadda, but I am, quite skittish about it. I hope that all goes well for them, but I do wish contact with them wasn't a constant source of stress. I am, however, keeping as much distance as I can at this point. I feel like an ass about it, but there you go.

For those who wandered why I have not been so active in the past few days here is the reason.

Last Wednesday the landline died. The phone rang and before I reached it, it made one last shrill ring and then died. No dial tone thereafter I was able to book a call with BT over the internet. Engineers arrived on Friday and that is when the internet died. So we had nothing until today when an engineer turned up and restored the broadband. So we have dial tone and internet.

Now the PC is threatening a disc crash.

And Mum was caught speeding in a 30 mph zone at 36 mph. So we have to fill in a form and send it in.

And the HMRC are saying she is being fined over taxes which we thought had been sorted out by the accountants.

It would be nice to get ahead of things and stay there instead of being dragged down all the time. 

• 2 weeks later...

We went out to dinner tonight to celebrate Lady P's birthday with her family. When we got home, it was 64°F (18°C) in the house. There's no gas to either the furnace or the water heater. We have a call in to the gas company; they're sending someone to make sure that there's not a leak someplace. They should be here in the next hour or so. It's 12:13 a.m. where we are right now.

Edited by Pariah

Update: the furnace actually kicked on about 6:30 this morning and ran long enough to get the house back up to usual temperature. But now it's out again. Proof of the old saying that problems that go away by themselves come back by themselves, I suppose.

Meanwhile, we still haven't been able to get the water heater going.

On 2/29/2024 at 10:52 AM, death tribble said:

Guess who went into town to buy coffee and forgot to buy the coffee ?

I got other things but not what I was supposed to.

Been there, done that.  More times than I want to count.

That's why, with the staples that I use daily (if not more often), I overstock.  Like...olive oil.  Open up a new bottle?  Go buy a spare, or at least, put it onto the mental list.  Even if I forget for a trip or two, it won't matter.  Or my green coffee...I've probably got 7 pounds right now, which is...mmm...roughly 70 days.  Start in on the last 3 pound bag...time to order!  Coffee filters...i've got Hario #1 and #2 drippers.  Just got 600 of each size from Amazon...that's 18+ months.  (But I got em WAY cheaper than MSRP.)  

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

Yeah, well, I'd much rather do quantum mechanics and molecular spectroscopy than accounting.  Certainly those are more familiar to me.

Count me in.

• 2 weeks later...

I had just finished listening to disc 6 of 11 of The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley, the bit where Harimad-sol is officially made one of.the King's Riders of Damar. I slipped in disc 7 ... and it was unreadable. I took it back to the library, and they don't have another copy.

So I had to get another book. Of what they had available on site, I chose The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. I've listened to about 10 minutes of it. I'm already low-key horrified.