Super Skills

Metaphysician

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Super Skills

Card Shark: The character is so good at reading other players that he can tell what cards his opponent is holding by the "tells" he exhibits

Telepathy, only to read players hand, requires an opposed roll (gambling vs. gambling, or gambling vs. EGO)

can't do the math at work...

Guest Worldmaker

Card Shark: The character is so good at reading other players that he can tell what cards his opponent is holding by the "tells" he exhibits

Telepathy, only to read players hand, requires an opposed roll (gambling vs. gambling, or gambling vs. EGO)

can't do the math at work...

Not to be overly pedantic, but its card sharp, not card shark.

Guest Worldmaker

I'd swear it's Card Shark in the 4th Ed DC-HoV universe.

Probably is. "Card sharp" tops many of those funky lists of words and phrases most commonly misspelled and mispronounced, and the most common mis-statement is "card shark".

Probably is. "Card sharp" tops many of those funky lists of words and phrases most commonly misspelled and mispronounced' date=' and the most common mis-statement is "card shark".[/quote']

How interesting. I had no clue. I knew the term primarily from the popular '70s game show!

Just One More Round: Transfer (Wealth or any powers based on possessions, one at a time), BOECV, Extra Time, Gestures, Incantations.

"What do you mean you lost our headquarters in a poker game?!"

"I was so sure my luck was going to turn around..."

J

I love this idea. :D

Mental Defense: This could be used to defend against certain Mental Power-based super-Skills. Hard To Figure Out would defend against Mind Scan and Telepathy; Hard To Manipulate would defend against Mental Illusions and Mind Control.

This has probably been mentioned before, but in the Babylon 5 TV show there was an episode called A Race Through Dark Places. In it, the rebels against the telepathic Psi Corps try to shield their thoughts from detection and scanning by chanting "Mary had a little lamb". This seems more skill-like than power-like.

• 2 weeks later...

One of my characters eventually had 12d6 of mental illusions, EGO of 20, ECV of 7 and could bump his SPD to 5 for the purposes of using that power. The main disadvantage was that it could only be used to change his appearance and only on those he could see. Still, it was able to beat most mooks, werewolves, vampires, vengance totems, Hitler clones, terrorists, secret agents and all the other pulp/sci-fi/horror that was thrown our way.

We were developing a way to link it to a precognative power that would allow him to use it on people he couldn't see if he succeeded on a mental PER roll, but the campaign was never completed. :saturn: