Hong Kong Action Game

Tyrant

So here's the thing;

My players have eagerly agreed to play a HK style action game using the hero system.

I told them that I would be designing the characters at first, since I've got a pretty specific idea of the sorts of characters that would fit in the game. They have graciously agreed.

The basic premise of the game is that each Pc was an assassin of some sort at one time in their lives, and are now looking for redemption. they have been brought together by an interested third party who will give them the opportunity to help "balance the scales" a bit.

I've got three of of the five characters already down.

1- A 2 guns blazing, chow yun fat type. Of course.

2- A renegade ninja at odds with the leaders of her clan, who are in league with dark powers.

3- A prototype cybernetic supersoldier whose huuman memories have begun to break through the programing. he wants to remember who he is and who turned him into a freak.

The problem is, I'm having a hard time coming up with something good for the two others. I was thinking of some kind of psychic, maybe a pyromancer, to keep the flashy, loud action style I'm going for? But any suggestions would be most welcome. I don't care if it's a cliche. Just so long as it was at some point involved with assassination. Got to keep the theme.

Tyrant

Might as well hit the other major Feng Shui archetypes:

The "hands are lethal weapons" martial artist. Give him a lot of wuxia stuff, like running up walls, leaping to the horizon, incredible balance and... (err... just buy NINJA HERO!). Oh, make him a swordsman for the extra edge factor.

And, of course, you need a magician. Or a supernatural creature (ghosts are good) out to make up for past misdeeds. Show powers, like fire attacks, are a must. The ghost should be female, and can have really weird powers -- like extendable claws or entangling hair.

Originally posted by Tyrant

I really like the idea of some kind of ghost sent back to atone for past misdeeds. Particularly if the ghost in question was some sort of assassin when it was alive.

Give it (her?) some ghost pistols then. RKAs with 0 END and No Range Modifer. The SFX is the bullets arc around stuff to hit the target.

Story Ideal

Setting: 1850's Hong Kong.

Plot: The daughter of an important Hong Kong buisnessman has just returned from a trip to England (and has adopted some of there fashion sence). An evil Tong Leader wants to force the buisnessman to suport his tong in an atempt to drive the English out of Hong Kong. When the buisnessman refuses, the Tong Leader leaves with veled threats to his daughter's safty. The buisnessman hiers a mixture of english and Hong Kong heros to protect his daughter from the Tong Leader.

So, what do you think?

Originally posted by Tyrant

Not bad,

there's a lot of potential plot hooks that can come out of that basic premise. not to mention the potential for a bunch of varried characters.

Tyrant.

Thank you. Your welcomed to have it, if you want it. Just remember to say, somewhere, "based on an outline by Stanley R. Teriaca".

You know,

another question comes to mind.

I wonder if I should run the game with heroic level Pc's, ie: 100 pts, or should I run it as a superheroic game?

Which comes closer to the HK "feel"?

I'm tempted to say heroic level Pc's, same as in Dark Champions, which I feel captures the HK style pretty well. But, this being the HERO system, I well aware that there's more than one way to approach the subject matter.

Any thoughts?

Tyrant

If you want the really over-the-top HK feel, with gunfighters able to mow down piles of mooks, super martial artists, and ghosts, then you might want to try 250-300 point PCs.

If you want a more down-to-earth feel, go with 150-200 point PCs.

Of course, mowing down piles of mooks can be done at the lower powerlevels, just make sure your mooks are pretty low-powered.

• 2 weeks later...

Superheroic...

If you want any chance for the "We are best of the best" feel that most HK action has.

All characters should have NCM, without getting extra points for it, to limit REALLY high stats... but the PCs should have more points to build their characters.

I'd also suggest that PCs be encouraged to buy +3 or +4 DCV vs. ranged attacks... three point levels.

This is the easiest way to reflect the fact that they are constantly diving and firing and rolling and bullets are whizzing past them, as they manage to hit the mooks much more easily.

Also, you want to encourage the need to fire LOTS of bullets at every target. Give bonus for extra shots fired, or something, 'cause it is too easy in Hero to "make every shot count" and constantly be counting your ammo. IMO, for the proper HK feel... bullets should fly, clips should empty and reloading on the run is a very important skill. :D

How about this for a DEX 20 character:

The Tequila Effect - +7 DCV, Only to offset Rapid Fire penalties (-1) 17pts plus +6" Running, only for making half moves while firing a gun (-1) 6pts plus 0 END on up to 40 AP of RKA (guns only) 20pts Total 43pts

Expensive, but you can now rapid fire with out penalty while making a full move and never run out of bullets. Remind you of anyone :D.

OK, so the last one is a bit ropey rules wise, given you're applying it to a power with charges, but I'd let it slide. Alternatively buy up Fast Draw (clips) and ask your GM if you can buy a Quick Load skill.

Michael

Originally posted by Susano

Give it (her?) some ghost pistols then. RKAs with 0 END and No Range Modifer. The SFX is the bullets arc around stuff to hit the target.

Funny enough, when I converted an old Dark Champions game over to Feng Shui, one of the pc's decided to make his character a Ghost. He was killed, came back, and didn't realize he was dead. He'd walk through walls, and never realize it, or his "gun" would just appear in his hand, and never be drawn from it's holster.

Once the other pc's figured out what he was, they confronted him about it...

PC : "Spector, you're DEAD!"

Spector: "I'm not dead. I'm corporeally challenged"

Best quote that game ever saw...