Reality TV game.. how would you do it?

Polaris

Hiya,

I was thinking of a fun summer game to run with friends and was thinking about a "Reality TV" type game. I am compiling a list of elements of what would go into such a game, and am hoping some of you may have some ideas.

A few things that I have so far:

1. Competitions: These competitions would be for leader of the group (like "head of household" on Big Brother), and for luxuries and immunities from elimination.

2. For 'elimination' (I am going to let each player have three characters to play, and the one with the most characters at the end of the game 'wins'), I was thinking of either having there be a competition where the one with the lowest score at the end is eliminated (I think think this is how it is done on Amazing Race). Another thought is to have them 'voted off the island'. I am not sure...

Any thoughts??

Polaris

Re: Reality TV game.. how would you do it?

Hiya,

I was thinking of a fun summer game to run with friends and was thinking about a "Reality TV" type game. I am compiling a list of elements of what would go into such a game, and am hoping some of you may have some ideas.

A few things that I have so far:

1. Competitions: These competitions would be for leader of the group (like "head of household" on Big Brother), and for luxuries and immunities from elimination.

2. For 'elimination' (I am going to let each player have three characters to play, and the one with the most characters at the end of the game 'wins'), I was thinking of either having there be a competition where the one with the lowest score at the end is eliminated (I think think this is how it is done on Amazing Race). Another thought is to have them 'voted off the island'. I am not sure...

Any thoughts??

Polaris

You should check out the game, InSpectres, (available online here: http://www.memento-mori.com/). It has at least one mechanic derived from reality television, where a player can step into the "confessional booth" (or whatever it's called) to replicate the segment of the television program where one person talks directly to the camera and comments on the action, what he's really thinking, how feels about the other people, etc.

On shows like Survivor and The Apprentice, the contestants are formed into two teams and only the team that loses that weeks challenge has to vote to eliminate someone. I think that kind of format would work best in an RPG game. The good guys team would have the PCs (possibly playing 2 or 3 characters each as you suggested) and the bad guys team would be a bunch of enemies that cheat and do obnoxious stuff between challenges.

Another possibility is to somehow include a viewers vote type elimination like American Idol. The character who was the least likeable or least flamboyantly roleplayed, according to the GM, would get eliminated.

My last campagine was based around a reality show, but not one where anyone was "voted off."

High concept, Cops meets The Real World in the Marvel Universe. "This is the story of four metahumans, given police powers in the city and county of New York, and living together in a brownstone on Park Avenue West." Everyone miked and equipted with a lipstick cam, followed everywhere by three fearless cameramen who often needed a covering block or to be evacuated from an area effect. They also had a clinically depress ex-military mutant helecopter pilot to get them around in the city.

Add that they had a coach to help them train, Taskmaster, who was on probation, under house arrest, and not allowed to leave the HQ.

Finally there was Nigel, the worlds smarmyest producer. "Love it, love the look, love you. Just a few notes here. Your codename, well, I love it, but it's not testing well. Are you really married to it? Also our focus group said you came accross as a know-it-all. Yes, I understand that you have Cosmic Awareness and do know it all, but can you keep some of it to yourself? Just one more thing, could you be just a little more ethnic?" Still amazed that he lived through that first production meeting.