The Last Word

Bazza

10k question on Oz Millionaire Hot Seat aka Who wants to be a millionaire. 

Which superhero is the alter ego of Marvel character Carol Danvers?

a. Scarlet Witch

b. Black Widow

c. Storm

d. Captain Marvel. 

The contestant ant went with C. 

You're at roughly 12 degrees south latitude?  Not counting the flights to/from our honeymoon on Rarotonga, that's closer to the Equator than I've ever been.  Intellectually I know some of the differences, but obviously have never experienced them.

Natural philosophy and natural history started splitting into finer disciplines around ... 1700? ... but they continued to remain largely unified (imo) in the efforts to grasp earlier times on Earth: geology and biology in particular, as they developed coherent, workable ideas for evolution and geophysics that depended on each other.  Darwin was a great naturalist and obviously a pivotal figure in that.  

My comment stemmed from misremembering the source of the "inordinate fondness for beetles" comment (perhaps via some anecdotes of the young Darwin as an avid beetle collector), and suggesting drolly that all of Darwin NT was inordinately fond of beetles.  The "fondness" remark reflects the truly stupendous number of beetle species that exist, for which there still isn't a good understanding.

Ah, no worries. 

My joke was to suggest that as physicists investigate Nature they are acting as historians, thus natural history. But I guess this is more applicable to astronomers than physicists as astronomers record the history of the stars, the galaxy, the universe etc.  

I have come to think of having the border between astronomy (and astrophysics) and other disciplines is the dual aspects of data starvation -- where it is quite impossible to run the experiments that seem obvious -- and exceedingly long evolution times for the systems of interest.  Geophysics kind of abuts that, but the ability to do active seismic probing removes much of that data starvation aspect.