Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking of creating a campaign setting using the imagery of Alice in Wonderland and Yellow Submarine.

Political Campaign?

It is proving unreasonably difficult to give away two prime-seat tickets to a major league baseball game.

What would a major league baseball game do with prime seat tickets?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wants to see a military campaign with the imagery of Alice in Wonderland and Yellow Submarine. Maybe a naval conflict for control of the Sea of Green.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

DIV90sHW0AA4To6.jpg

Welcome to America. Hang 'em high unless they've got money. Fat cats get a pass.

I don't know if it is the same in America but in the UK you can request your sentence be reassessed on the grounds of fairness based upon other sentences for similar crimes and crimes at similar times.

I believe a man had his driving ban overturned once because a member of the royal household received a small fine for driving at similar speeds.

If America does have such a ruling I think he has a case.

I don't know if it is the same in America but in the UK you can request your sentence be reassessed on the grounds of fairness based upon other sentences for similar crimes and crimes at similar times.

I believe a man had his driving ban overturned once because a member of the royal household received a small fine for driving at similar speeds.

If America does have such a ruling I think he has a case.

There's theory and there is practice. In theory, you could make that argument. In practice, the legal bar for getting a sentence overturned as "unfair" in America is almost impossible meet. The simple fact is, American judicial culture is steeped in judges preserving the authority of other judges. And, what is more, even if you could meet the bar, that will cost more in attorneys fees than most upper middle class households could underwrite, let alone a poor person who received a ridiculous sentence because he couldn't afford those fees the first time around. You have to buy justice in this country and it doesn't come cheap. Without a brilliant do-gooding altruist willing do do hundreds of thousands of dollars of pro bono legal work pro bono over several years to appeal the case, potentially all the way to SCOTUS - or a pardon from the governor of his state - the poor guy has zero chance. Even then his odds are slim. There is a reason billionaires do forty months for stealing billions and hiding behind lawyers while poor people do fifteen years for remorsefully admitting they took a Franklin. America doesn't have a justice system and its not interested in mercy or proportion vis-a-vis the crimes people commit. It has a class-biased punishment system whose main aim is to throw away the key and forget anyone who can't buy their freedom.

I was recently told I'm "pithy." I was initially offended, but then looked it up. I am pithy.

Even when you possess a vast and rococo vocabulary there are words you need to learn.

Ath long ath it wathn't told to you by thomeone with a lithp.