The New Circle

OddHat

Re: The New Circle

I'm too sick to deal with this shit.

Is there one single person on this thread who is capable of dealing with something that questions an assumption of theirs in any way other than either being insulting and/or quitting in a huff? (edit -- and/or demanding that it go away?)

Just one?

Not you, meta. :)

Is there one single person on this thread who is capable of dealing with something that questions an assumption of theirs in any way other than either being insulting and/or quitting in a huff?

Just one?

Not you, meta. :)

I don't know. How about someone posts an actual character, and we find out? Nah, let's not do that.

*edits because Kristopher edited*

If somebody /does/ post an actual character, and I happen to find something to question in the writeup, can we ask Killer Shrike to not completely lose his composure this time?

Seriously.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHH!!!!

I'm going to go to the store to get some (ding-dang) flu meds. If I never come back, it's because I started thinking of this thread and ran my car into a tree.

Fight Club

Is there one single person on this thread who is capable of dealing with something that questions an assumption of theirs in any way other than either being insulting and/or quitting in a huff?

Well, let's see...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHH!!!!

I'm going to go to the store to get some fucking flu meds. If I never come back, it's because I started thinking of this thread and ran my car into a tree.

... apparently, the answer to my question is "no, there is not."

Well, let's see...

... apparently, the answer to my question is "no, there is not."

What exactly does my exasperation and frustration with two otherwise intelligent-seeming people who post interesting and useful things, but who for some reason hate each other so much that it makes them belligerent and unreasonable and reduces both of them to the point that they have less ability to walk away from a stupid arguement than a damn five year old, have to do with someone "questioning my assumptions"?

Maybe he just had something better to do, but right now KS has a tiny edge on you because at least he's finally SHUT THE HELL UP.

:sick:

Damnit.

Re: The New CircleTo get back on track, here is my GFs old character, who can be used in a mystical campaign.LotusPlayer: Sandra

Val** Char*** Cost
20** STR 10
23** DEX 39
18** CON 16
13** BODY 6
13** INT 3
11** EGO 2
15** PRE 5
20** COM 5
15/19** PD 8
15/19** ED 8
6** SPD 27
10** REC 4
36** END 0
40** STUN 8
*10"**RUN02"**SWIM015"**LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 141
Cost** Power END
9** Supernatural Awareness: Detect Ghosts and Spirits A Class Of Things 12- (Unusual Group), Increased Arc of Perception, Sense* 0
6** Dragon Skin: Damage Resistance (8 PD/4 ED)* 0
7** Toughness Training: Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 25% (15 Active Points); STUN Only (-1/2), Limited Power Must be aware of attack (-1/2)* 0
7** Toughness Training: Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 25% (15 Active Points); STUN Only (-1/2), Limited Power Must be aware of attack (-1/2)* 0
6** Defensive Sword Technique: Armor (4 PD/4 ED) (12 Active Points); OIF: Sword of opportunity (-1/2), Limited Power Must be aware of attack (-1/2)* 0
12** Speed of the Dragon: Running +4" (10" total), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (12 Active Points)*
11** Leaping: Leaping +11" (15" forward, 7 1/2" upward)* 1
6** Missile Deflection: (Arrows, Slings, Etc.) (10 Active Points); OIF: Sword of opportunity (-1/2), Will Not Work Against Heavy Missiles (-1/4)* 0
10** Daggers: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6 (1 1/2d6 w/STR), Ranged (+1/2) (22 Active Points); 2 Recoverable Charges (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4)* [2 rc]
18** Ya Zi: Sword Multipower, 37-point reserve, (37 Active Points); all slots OAF (-1)*
1u** 1) Missile Deflection: (Any Ranged Attack) (20 Active Points); OAF (-1), Will Not Work Against Heavy Missiles (-1/4)* 0
2u** 2) Ch'i Strike: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6+1 (3 1/2d6 w/STR) (35 Active Points); OAF (-1)* 3
2u** 3) Strike: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1 1/2d6 (3d6 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (37 Active Points); OAF (-1), No Knockback (-1/4)* 0
2u** 4) Demon Slayer: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1 1/2d6 (2 1/2d6 w/STR), Affects Desolidified Supernatural Creatures (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (37 Active Points); OAF (-1), No Knockback (-1/4)* 1
1u** 5) Flat of the Blade: Hand-To-Hand Attack +4d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)* 0
2u** 6) Thrust: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1 1/2d6 (2d6+1 w/STR), Armor Piercing x1 (+1/2) (37 Active Points); OAF (-1), No Knockback (-1/4)* 4
22** The Sword of Iron and Blood: Multipower, 45-point reserve, (45 Active Points); all slots OAF (-1)*
2u** 1) Sword Blade: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1 1/2d6 (2 1/2d6 w/STR), +1 STUN Multiplier (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (44 Active Points); OAF (-1), No Knockback (-1/4)* 0
2u** 2) Martial Spirit: Aid PRE 4d6 (40 Active Points); OAF (-1), Self Only (-1/2)* 0
2u** 3) Telekinesis (30 STR) (45 Active Points); OAF (-1), Affects Whole Object (-1/4)* 4
Powers Cost: 130
Cost** Martial Arts Maneuver
** Respendent Dragon Kung Fu*
1** 1) Weapon Element: Blades*
4** 2) The Fist of the Scarlet Dragon (Strike): 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 6d6 Strike*
5** 3) The Golden Dragon Strike (Strike): 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +3 DCV, 4d6 Strike*
5** 4) Swooping Dragon Maneuver (Passing Strike): 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +0 DCV, 4d6 +v/5; FMove*
3** 5) Dragon's Tail Brushes The Ground (Sweep): 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, -1 DCV, 5d6 Strike, Target Falls*
3** 6) Hsu Pao's Twisting Reversal (Throw): 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, 4d6 +v/5, Target Falls*
4** 7) The Moon Dragon's Shining Scales (Block): 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort*
4** 8) The Sublime Avoidance (Dodge): 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort*
Martial Arts Cost: 29
Cost** Skill
** General Skills*
2** 1) AK: Millenium City Chinatown 11-*
3** 2) Conversation 12-*
2** 3) KS: Chinese History and Tradition 11-*
2** 4) KS: Chinese Legends and Lore 11-*
2** 5) KS: Cooking 11-*
2** 6) KS: Millenium City Chinatown Underworld 11-*
0** 7) Language: Mandarin (native) *
2** 8) Language: Cantonese (fluent conversation)*
2** 9) Language: English (fluent conversation)*
3** 10) Oratory 12-*
2** 11) PS: Cooking 11-*
3** 12) Streetwise 12-*
** Martial Skills*
10** 1) +2 with all Agility skills*
8** 2) +1 with All Combat*
6** 3) +2 with Ya Zi*
3** 4) +1 with Martial Arts*
5** 5) +3 vs. Called shot modifiers with dagger*
3** 6) Acrobatics 14-*
3** 7) Analyze: Combat Technique 12-*
3** 8) Analyze: Martial Arts Style 12-*
3** 9) Breakfall 14-*
3** 10) Fast Draw Common Melee Weapons 14-*
2** 11) KS: Resplendent Dragon Kung Fu 11-*
5** 12) Rapid Attack (HTH) *
3** 13) Stealth 14-*
2** 14) Weaponsmith (Muscle-Powered HTH) 12-*
2** 15) WF: Common Melee Weapons*
Skills Cost: 86
Cost** Talent
6** Lightning Reflexes: +4 DEX to act first with All Actions*
6** Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED)*
Talents Cost: 12
Val** Disadvantages
10** Distinctive Features: Talks to Ghost of Ancient Master (Easily Concealed; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)*
5** Distinctive Features: The Chosen - Aura of power and destiny (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)*
0** Dependent NPC: Ghost of Ancient Master*
10** Dependent NPC: Mother 8- (Normal; Useful noncombat position or skills; Unaware of character's adventuring career)*
10** Dependent NPC: Kate Gallagher 11- (Normal; Useful noncombat position or skills)*
15** Enraged: When innocents are harmed (Uncommon), go 11-, recover 11-*
5** Hunted: Dr. Yin Wu 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Limited Geographical Area, Watching)*
15** Hunted: Local Chinese Triads 8- (As Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)*
10** Hunted: Others who want to learn style 11- (Less Pow, Harshly Punish)*
15** Hunted: Wong Feng 11- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)*
15** Hunted: Lin Chi the Serpent 8- (Mo Pow, Harshly Punish)*
20** Psychological Limitation: Code of Honor (Common, Total)*
15** Psychological Limitation: Protective of Innocents (Common, Strong)*
15** Psychological Limitation: Recurrant Dreams/Nightmates (Common, Strong)*
10** Reputation: Powerful Sword Weilding Martial Artist with Unknown Style, 11- (Extreme; Known Only To other Martial Artists)*
8** Mystery Disadvantage*
1** Quirk: Believes there is Good in everyone*
1** Quirk: Dislikes Japanese*
1** Quirk: Prefers to cook own food*
1** Quirk: Loves combat (but won't admit it)*
1** Quirk: Will not let others handle Ya Zi*
Disadvantage Points: 183

Base Points: 200Experience Required: 15Total Experience Available: 30Experience Unspent: 15Total Character Cost: 398

Height: 5' 6" Hair: Dark Brown
Weight: 132 lbs Eyes: Brown
Appearance: She is tall for a Chinawoman at 5'6", but has a well-balanced and toned body.Personality: Wu has a strong presence and the aura of one chosen. She is a little headstrong, but has a good heart and greatly opposses opression wherever she goes. Wu is well spoken and often finds herself a mediator in Chinatown fueds. She speaks often to her invisible teacher, who will give her sometimes menial or strange tasks to strengthen her abilities. Wu wants nothing more than to be a great hero and defend the general populace from harm.Quote:"I make my own destiny."Background: Wu Zeitan was born in the small Nyetang province in China, her mother an American ambassador and her father a Chinese polotician - said to be an descendant of Ji Xuanyuan, the founding father of China. Her father was deeply involved in local politics and greatly respected by the local residents whom he fought for. Many in this small province were unhappy with the current Communist government and wished a return to more ancient ways, whispering the descendant of Ji Xuanyuan could bring China back to her former glory. Word of this dissent reached the government, who retaliated by murdering her father when Wu was eight. She was witness to the event, seeing the ghost of her father fleeing to the afterlife. Wu has been attuned to the supernatural since with the ablility to see and communicate with ghosts and other supernatural creatures. Her mother fled to America with Wu, where she could be raised in safety.

The Five Ancestors have been quite unhappy with the direction of China for the past two hundred years. They see in Wu a chance to set things right. Shortly after her twelth birthday, the spirit of an ancient master revealed he would train her in the ancient way of the Resplendant Dragon, for she has much future potential. Wu interpreted this as a chance to become a hero and helps defend the citizens of Chinatown from the Triad.

Powers/Tactics: Her teacher has guided her in the creation of her sword - Ya Zi (bad-tempered warrior of the Dragon's nine sons). Wu prefers to be in the front line of combat or removed ranged users such as Blasters.Campaign Use: 

What exactly does my exasperation and frustration with two otherwise intelligent-seeming people who post interesting and useful things, but who for some reason hate each other so much that it makes them belligerent and unreasonable and reduces both of them to the point that they have less ability to walk away from a stupid arguement than a damn five year old, have to do with someone "questioning my assumptions"?

Maybe he just had something better to do, but right now KS has a tiny edge on you because at least he's finally SHUT THE HELL UP.

Your assumption that Killer Shrike did nothing wrong, and is indeed /better/ behaved than I, when his two-day tantrum was the true root cause of this whole mess in the first place? I questioned that, and in return, I got one post telling us to go away, one post saying that you were going away, and now a virtual puking on my shoes.

Character-related Content

Now, as to Lotus... so far, looks good. Just one question... if she's meant to fight ghosts with a sense other than her eyes, shouldn't her Detect be a Sense, and be Targeting?

Now' date=' someone, please, talk about mystic NPCs. I'll rep the first person that posts even a halfway decent character that's appropriate for this thread.[/quote']

Damn. I was going to do that. Only all seekrit like.

Anyway, here's a Phantom Stranger homage. I don't remember seeing one of those yet. Yes, she's a lot of points -- but she's essentially a statted-out plot device, and I don't consider points for those any more relevant than points for Dr. Destroyer's latest doomsday device, or for The Examiner. She just makes adventures start.

The Lady In Black

Val Char Cost

25 STR 15

25 DEX 45

25 CON 30

18 BODY 16

25 INT 15

25 EGO 30

45 PRE 35

20 COM 5

30 PD 0

30 ED 0

6 SPD 25

10 REC 0

50 END 0

44 STUN 0

6" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

5" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 216

Cost Power

50 Ancient Of Days: +5 Overall

8 Immortal Wanderer: Life Support , Longevity: Immortal, Sleeping: Character does not sleep

99 Shrouded From Touch: (Total: 99 Active Cost, 99 Real Cost) Damage Resistance (30 PD/30 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (37 Active Points) (Real Cost: 37) plus +25 PD, Hardened (+1/4) (31 Active Points) (Real Cost: 31) plus +25 ED, Hardened (+1/4) (31 Active Points) (Real Cost: 31)

37 Shrouded From Magic: Power Defense (30 points), Hardened (+1/4) (37 Active Points)

32 Shrouded From Thought: +25 Mental Defense (30 points total), Hardened (+1/4) (32 Active Points)

40 Woman of Mystery: Mental Damage Reduction, 75%

20 Can't Meet Her Eyes: Lack Of Weakness (-5) for Mental Defense, Normal Defense, Power Defense, Resistant Defense

5 Sight of Higher Things: Mental Awareness

22 Sight of Things Unknown: Detect Magic (Mystic Group) 14-, Discriminatory, Range, Sense

22 Sight In The Void: Spatial Awareness (Mystic Group)

5 I Know All About You: Cramming

22 I Sense Great Things For You: Detect Plot 14-, Analyze, Discriminatory, Sense [Notes: Plot Sense Group]

22 You'll Be Needing That: Detect Plot Device 14-, Discriminatory, Range, Sense [Notes: Plot Sense Group]

42 I See The Future Coming: Danger Sense (Area: Any Area, Function as a Sense, Sensitivity: Any Danger) 14-

45 I See What Is To Be: Precognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (90 Active Points); No Conscious Control (-2), Only Effects cannot be controlled (+1)

80 Untouched By Mortal Hands: Desolidification (affected by magic), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Usable Simultaneously (+1/2) (80 Active Points)

90 Unseen By Mortal Eyes: Invisibility to Sight Group, Hearing Group, Smell/Taste Group, Touch Group, No Fringe, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Usable Simultaneously (+1/2) (90 Active Points)

90 Walk Through Time And Space: Multipower, 90-point reserve

9u 1) Cross Time: Extra-Dimensional Movement (Any Dimension, Any Location, Any Time), Travel Through Time, x2 Increased Weight (90 Active Points) [Notes: "Any Time" is 20 increments up on the Time Chart]

9u 2) Cross Worlds: Teleportation 5", x2 Increased Mass, Safe Blind Teleport (+1/4), Megascale (1" = 10,000lightyears; +4 1/2), Can Be Scaled Down: 1" = 1km (+1/4) (90 Active Points)

4u 3) Stand Anywhere: Flight 8", Usable Underwater (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Usable Simultaneously (+1/2) (36 Active Points)

28 Walk In The Void Of Space: Life Support , Safe in High Pressure, Safe in High Radiation, Safe in Intense Cold, Safe in Intense Heat, Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum, Self-Contained Breathing, Usable Simultaneously (+1/2) (28 Active Points)

Powers Cost: 781

Cost Skill

11 Advance The Plot (Power Skill) (INT-based) 18-

3 Magic (Power Skill) (INT-based) 14-

3 Breakfall 14-

3 Bureaucratics 18-

3 Concealment 14-

3 Conversation 18-

3 Deduction 14-

3 High Society 18-

3 Interrogation 18-

3 KS: The Mystic World (INT-based) 14-

3 KS: Pasts & Futures (INT-based) 14-

3 KS: Magic (INT-based) 14-

3 Navigation (Astral, Dimensional) 14-

3 Persuasion 18-

3 PS: Plot Instigator (PRE-based) 18-

3 Shadowing 14-

3 Stealth 14-

3 Streetwise 18-

3 Tracking 14-

Skills Cost: 65

Cost Perk

5 Reputation: The Lady In Black (A medium-sized group; 11-) +5/+5d6

5 Anonymity: Mystery Woman

10 Contact: Higher Powers (Contact has: extremely useful Skills or resources, Very Good relationship with Contact) 14-

9 Contact: the Mystic World (Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact has: useful Skills or resources), Organization Contact (+2) (9 Active Points) 8-

3 Access: Briah

Perks Cost: 32

Cost Talent

3 Absolute Time Sense

3 Bump Of Direction

5 Eidetic Memory

20 Universal Translator 14-

Talents Cost: 31

Total Character Cost: 1125

Pts. Disadvantage

20 Dependence: True Origins Remaining Unknown Powers Gain 14- Activation Roll (Ridiculously Common; 1 Turn)

0 Distinctive Features: The Lady In Black (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Uncommonly-Used Senses)

20 Hunted: Kal-Turak 11- (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish; Extensive Non-Combat Influence; Limited Geographical Area)

20 Hunted: The Four Zoas 11- (Mo Pow; Mildly Punish; Extensive Non-Combat Influence)

20 Psychological Limitation: Will Only Meddle In One Person's Life At A Time (Very Common; Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Lonely (Very Common; Moderate)

10 Hunted: Chrono 8- (Mo Pow; Mildly Punish)

5 Reputation: Omen of Change 11- (Known Only To A Small Group)

15 Social Limitation: Really Secret Identity (Very Frequently; Minor)

Disadvantage Points: 125

Base Points: 500

Experience Required: 500

Total Experience Available: 500

Experience Unspent: 0

Background/History: It is told that before Even, G-d created another wife for Adam, one who was his equal; rejected by Adam, however, she wandered from Eden but never tasted the Fruit of Knowledge, and so remained immortal. It is whispered that the last mother born to humankind will be given the care of all humanity that ever was, through time and space, in recompense for the children she will never bear. No one knows what woman inspired primitive men in their caves to carve Venus figures. None can say whither Queen Gloriana went when she left Faerie behind forever. Where is immortal Persephone, now that the gates of Hades are broken and the silent fields empty? What became of the Lady of the Serpent Skirt after the Feathered Serpent set sail on his raft of seasnakes?

Everyone in the Mystic World has their theories on the identity of The Lady In Black - but none know for certain. Some of the Vandaleur family claim she is their ultimate ancestress. The Master has called her a bosatsu. Always once mentioned that she would have been the daughter of Legend and the Athenian - in a time that now will never be...

Regardless of the truth of her origins, The Lady In Black has visited many men and women of great importance throughout history. She has visited each Archmage, some time before his or her ascension. It is said that she showed Kal-Turak the downfall of the Turakian Age. The Master met her in the dusty aftermath of Hiroshima. She has spoken for mortals before the Four Zoas, and before the Space Gods - and she has stood by, silently, and watched as mortals were judged by them. All that anyone knows for certain of her, is that her presence is an omen of changes to come.

Personality/Motivation: The motivation of The Lady In Black is mysterious or obscure. She is reluctant to speak, enigmatic in her answers, and always seems sad about something. She will not offer advice about the things she reveals; when asked questions, she usually replies with another question in turn.

Quote: "Come with me. I have much to show you."

Powers/Tactics: The Lady In Black first uses her Cramming to gain a KS: Chosen One 8- (traveling back in time through their life). She uses her Precognative Clairsentience to look ahead in their life to the decision-point she will help them face. She then visits the chosen person, alone, and takes them to what she must show them -- using her Useable Simultaneously Megascale Teleport, Extradimensional Movement, Life Support, Invisibility, and Desolidification. If attacked, she simply slips away through time and space.

Campaign Use: The Lady In Black tries to help the world - one person at a time. After choosing the person she will help, she walks through their life, always in the background of events - the chosen ones can remember her standing near their deathbed, in attendence at their wedding, even visiting the nursery after their birth (she has used her Cramming for KS: Chosen One 8-).

She then reveals herself to the chosen person, always while they are alone, and always just before they are to make some choice that will prove momentous in their lives. She will take them through space and time (using Desolidification and Invisibility), showing the background events that are affecting and will result from their choice. She then leaves them to make their decision, offering no advice.

Although she may seem benevolent, no one really knows what The Lady In Black intends. Her visits sometimes lead to great good, sometimes to great evils. It might be thought she acts to maintain the timeline - but the choices she provokes have both altered time and set time aright.

Appearance: Woman wearing a simple black dress, with black shawl and veil as though in mourning. Her veil always hides her eyes, so it is impossible to meet her gaze. She seems somehow sad or wistful to those she speaks with.

Now' date=' as to Lotus... so far, looks good. Just one question... if she's meant to fight ghosts with a sense other than her eyes, shouldn't her Detect be a Sense, and be Targeting?[/quote']

Who said she was supposed to fight ghosts? She's just a mystically based superheroic level character to get this thread back on track.

Besides, I think her master would let her know where they are :)

John

Who said she was supposed to fight ghosts? She's just a mystically based superheroic level character to get this thread back on track.

Besides, I think her master would let her know where they are :)

Ah, OK. I saw 'Detect Ghosts', an Affects Desolidified weapon, and the rest, and was going "... this character sounds like it would be a fairly effective ghost-hunter".

As a suggestion, if you want to represent an ability to see into the Lower Astral (which spots many spirit forms, as per Mystic World), you can pay +10 for a "Transdimensional - one dimension" adder to the Sight Group, and represent 'spirit sight' that way. It's discussed in Mystic World as a special effect for 'astral vision', or 'ghost sight'.

To JAGN, that's interesting. My wife has a sort of life-long commitment to theater popcorn as a close friend and she would always get popcorn and he passed away unexpectedly when we were all about 30, it's become a sort of tribute/ritual. As for me, I like to eat in theaters, but only once the movie starts going (it's basically about creating as much positive stimulation as possible!). And it seems the majority of people eat in them, I never thought about people who entirely don't like that.

Does it bother you to see other people eating there?

Yeah, which is one of the reasons I don't like going anymore (I will still go to see a movie occasionally, but it's less fun than it used to be when I was younger.) The popcorn and sodas aren't as big an issue for me as the other foodstuffs that are now served.

Your assumption that Killer Shrike did nothing wrong, and is indeed /better/ behaved than I, when his two-day tantrum was the true root cause of this whole mess in the first place? I questioned that, and in return, I got one post telling us to go away, one post saying that you were going away, and now a virtual puking on my shoes.

:rolleyes:

Response posted elsewhere.

Response posted elsewhere.

Reply posted here, not there, because here is where it started and here is where it will end:

'Equally'? Killer Shrike and I are nowhere *near* equal. I question your assumption that criticizing a character is the same as repeated personal flaming... 'cause the one was me, and the other was him, and yet you *pride* yourself on considering them both 'equal'.

Why is Killer Shrike so immune to criticism, eh? How come not one person here will step up and say that he was wrong to take it so personally, wrong to throw such a hissy fit, wrong to persist in the belief that he has the right to tell people what they can and can't post about his characters?

Why not?

I would like everyone who dropped an f-bomb or s-bomb or any other profane bomb to please go back and edit your posts so that those words are removed... and don't replace them with other foul words if that is what you are thinking. ;)

I think I got them all. If I missed one, just let me know where, and I'll fix it.

Against my better judgement, but here is a master-level mystic villian my PCs have just started encountering. No background, it's all in my head.

The Golden Skull

Player: NPC Master Villian

Val Char Cost
40 STR 30
28 DEX 54
30 CON 40
20 BODY 20
23 INT 13
23 EGO 26
30 PRE 20
10 COM 0
20 PD 4
18 ED 4
7 SPD 32
14 REC 0
60 END 0
55 STUN 0
15" RUN08" SWIM020" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 243

Cost Power END
16 Armored Costume: Armor (8 PD/8 ED); OIF (-1/2) 0
75 Aura of Dark Power: Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% plus Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% plus Power Defense (15 points) 0
330 Dark Sorcery: Variable Power Pool (Magic Pool), 150 base + 180 control cost, Cosmic (+2); Limited Class Of Powers Available: Magic (-1/4)
0 1) Caress of Darkness: Sight Group Flash 12d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) Real Cost: 90 0
0 2) Dark Agony: Ego Attack 10d6; Visible (-1/4) Real Cost: 80 10
0 3) Dark Bolt: Energy Blast 18d6 Real Cost: 90 9
0 4) Dark Chains of the Mind: Mind Control 16d6, Telepathic (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); Visible (-1/4) Real Cost: 112 0
0 5) Dark Form: Desolidification (affected by light and holy attacks), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) Real Cost: 60 0
0 6) Dark Gate: Long Range: Teleportation 10", Usable By Other (+1/4), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Continuous (+1), MegaScale (1" = 1000 km; +1 1/2), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 10 m (+1/4); Gate (-1/2) Real Cost: 60 9
0 7) Dark Gate: Short Range: Teleportation 10", Improved Noncombat Movement (x16), Usable By Other (+1/4), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Continuous (+1); Gate (-1/2) Real Cost: 64 10
0 8) Dark Lightning: Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6, Armor Piercing (+1/2), +2 STUN Multiplier (+1/2) Real Cost: 90 9
0 9) Dark Shield: Force Field (10 PD/10 ED/14 Flash Defense: Sight Group), Hardened (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) Real Cost: 59 0
0 10) Dark Shroud: Invisibility to Sight Group and Detect Soul , No Fringe, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) Real Cost: 49 0
0 11) Dark Wall: Force Wall (18 PD/18 ED) (Opaque Sight Group), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) Real Cost: 125 5
0 12) Dark Wings: Flight 20", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) Real Cost: 60 0
0 13) Darkness's Gift: Aid STR, DEX, SPD, STUN 5d6 (standard effect: 15 points), Limited Range (8"; +1/4), STR, DEX, SPD, STUN simultaneously (+1); Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Side Effect only affects the recipient of the benefits of the Power; -1/2) Real Cost: 75 0
0 14) Mage Bolt: Energy Blast 16d6, Variable Special Effects (Any SFX; +1/2) Real Cost: 120 12
0 15) Mage Hand: Telekinesis (70 STR), Fine Manipulation Real Cost: 115 11
34 MageSense: Detect Magic 14- (Unusual Group), Discriminatory, Analyze, Increased Arc Of Perception (240 Degrees), Range, Sense, Targeting 0
23 Mana Consuption: Healing 1 BODY, Can Heal Limbs, Resurrection, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Turn (Post-Segment 12) (-1 1/4), Self Only (-1/2), Only in a Magic Rich Area (-1/4) 0
20 Master of Magic: Find Weakness 13- with All Attacks; Only vs Magical Defenses (-1) 0
15 Powerful Will: Mental Defense (20 points total) 0
47 Soul Sense: Detect Living Souls 14- (Unusual Group), Range, Sense, Targeting Sense plus Detect Aura 14- (Unusual Group), Discriminatory, Analyze, Range, Sense 0
60 Spell Cleaver: Multipower, 90-point reserve, all slots Restrainable (-1/2)
3u 1) Blade: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6 (4d6 w/STR), +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); Restrainable (-1/2) 0
6u 2) Cleave Spell: Dispel Magic 20d6, any Magic power one at a time (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4); Restrainable (-1/2) 3
6u 3) Devour Magic: Drain Magic 5d6, any Magic power one at a time (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Minute; +1/4); Restrainable (-1/2) 3
3u 4) Flat: Hand-To-Hand Attack +8d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2) 0
5u 5) Magic Vampirism: Transfer 3d6 (Magic to END), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Minute; +1/4), from any Magic power one at a time (+1/4); Restrainable (-1/2) 3
57 Supernatural Form: Damage Resistance (8 PD/6 ED) plus Life Support (Eating Character does not eat; Immunity All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Immunity All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Longevity Immortal; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing; Sleeping Character does not sleep) 0
36 Supernatural Swiftness: Running +9" (15" total) plus Leaping +12" (20" forward, 10" upward) plus Swimming +6" (8" total) 4
Powers Cost: 736

Cost Skill
16 +2 with All Combat
6 +2 with Spell Cleaver
15 +3 with Magic
2 Analyze: Magic 14-
1 Cryptography 14-; Translation Only (-1/2)
2 Deduction 14-
2 Interrogation 15-
2 KS: Demons 14-
2 KS: Magic 14-
2 KS: Occult 14-
2 KS: Summoning 14-
2 KS: Superntural Creatures 14-
2 KS: The Mystical World 14-
2 KS: Undead 14-
3 Language: Latin (completely fluent)
2 Oratory 15-
2 Persuasion 15-
4 Power: Magic 16-
2 Seduction 15-
2 Tactics 14-
2 WF: Common Melee Weapons
Skills Cost: 75

Cost Perk
2 Reputation: Powerful and Evil Sorcerer (A small to medium sized group) 14-, +2/+2d6
Perks Cost: 2

Cost Talent
37 Danger Sense (general area, any danger, Function as a Sense) 14-
Talents Cost: 37

Cost Equipment END
Staff of Dark Power: Multipower, 150-point reserve, all slots OAF (-1)
Equipment costs shown above are for reference only, and are not included in Total Cost.

Total Character Cost: 1093

Val Disadvantages
10 Distinctive Features: Dark and Evil Mystical Aura (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)
15 Distinctive Features: Huge male with Golden Mask (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
15 Hunted: Circle of the Scarlet Moon 8- (As Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)
20 Hunted: DEMON 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)
15 Hunted: Takofanes 8- (Mo Pow, Harshly Punish)
15 Hunted: Trimegistus Council 8- (As Pow, NCI, Capture)
10 Psychological Limitation: Kills only when necessary, waste of future pawns (Common, Moderate)
15 Psychological Limitation: Overconfidence (Very Common, Moderate)
15 Psychological Limitation: Powerhungry (Common, Strong)
5 Psychological Limitation: Tries to corrupt mages and superhumans (Uncommon, Moderate)
15 Reputation: Evil master of magic, 14- (Extreme; Known Only To A Small Group)

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 743

Total Experience Available: 743

Experience Unspent: 0

Let's try and keep it on the rails this time.

John

150 base VPP?!? Is he meant to replace Takofanes? The ability to pull 150 active point attacks out on the fly generally leads to a lot of grease spots where superheroes used to be standing...

If you mean the enormously high base VPP to represent that he has access to genormously powerful ritual magic, without being quite so overwhelming in direct combat or without prepared spells, you can do what Arcane Adversaries did for Demonologist -- give him a moderately-sized VPP for "on-the-fly" magic, and then additional base cost and control cost to that VPP bought with the additional limitations of Extra Time, Ritual Required, etc.