"Anopheles" (Horror World) text online

Allen Varney

On my home page I have posted (with kind permission from Steve Long) the text of my 1990 CHAMPIONS Fourth Edition superhero-horror adventure "Anopheles," published under the title "Horror World" in Iron Crown's supplement Champions in 3-D, edited by Rob Bell. The URL:

http://www.allenvarney.com/anopheles.html

This adventure, one of a collection of alternate-universe scenarios, is set in a modern-day parallel world where Cthulhoid monstrosities have taken over. The premise is that back in the 1920s, heroic investigators fought dark cults to keep the world safe from these other-dimensional entities -- and they failed. Now it's decades later, most life on Earth has been wiped out, and it all gets pretty horrific before the superheroes save the day. Or fail.

I haven't tried to update this adventure for FRED. If any kind Hero fan out there would like to take on the task, please call dibs in this topic and send me the updates at APVarney (at) AOL (dot) com.

I hope you enjoy "Anopheles."

Re: "Anopheles" (Horror World) text online

Thanks for the consideration. I'm looking forward to running it again.

PS I don't know if you've ever checked out SJG's Pyramid magazine, if you do to a search for an article using the terms Supers and Mythos. There is a really interesting piece that could give a gm some really interesting ideas for what some of the native supes might be like.

Thanks muchly, sir!

Hmm, I wonder if we can get the Dreamzone back as well? I loved that as a setting, and with Demoiselle Nocturne (from DEMON) around, it sounds like the Bogeyman may well meet the girl of his nightmares.

And what other dimensions were laid out? I remember Nazi World (but no Nazi supers, alas), Backworld (the good guys are all evil), Fantasy World (between Turakian Age and Faerie, sorta redundant now) -- was there anything else?

Thanks muchly, sir!

Hmm, I wonder if we can get the Dreamzone back as well? I loved that as a setting, and with Demoiselle Nocturne (from DEMON) around, it sounds like the Bogeyman may well meet the girl of his nightmares.

A similar publication of DreamZone would be up to Scott Heine, its author, and Hero Games.

It *is* good to see Anopheles preserved. It's my favorite published Champions scenario of all time, and was certainly an inspiration for a scenario of mine that was published in the last issue of Digital Hero.