Major Purchase

Super Squirrel

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

Star HERO is an exceptional genre book, but I thought that the HERO Bestiary is one of the most broadly useful books that DOJ has yet put out. [/b]

You know, I bought the Bestiary mainly to support the DOJ, but now that I have it I keep referring to it. My memory of the 4th ed Bestiary was not real positive. I remembered falling back on my own writeups for most everything most of the time, but now that I have the 5th ed one I find myself referring to it all the time.

Originally posted by Jhamin

You know, I bought the Bestiary mainly to support the DOJ, but now that I have it I keep referring to it. My memory of the 4th ed Bestiary was not real positive. I remembered falling back on my own writeups for most everything most of the time, but now that I have the 5th ed one I find myself referring to it all the time.

I have the Original (2nd edition?) Bestiary around the house and I probably cracked the book two or three times. The new Bestriary has become and integral tool.

*Need Ettercaps? There's more than enough info to dash them off quickly (and the HD download is a life saver)

*Daughter wants a Follower: Nightmare? Bang... there it is, slight modification and you are good to go.

*Wife wants a Bear-Spirit Multiform, the Bestiary has three bears to start with, slight modification in HD and you are good to go.

*Need a giant radioactive lizard? Here's your resource.

To be frank, I've used it more than Champions... and I'm running a Champions game! 5th Edition has fulfilled ALL my gaming needs to a level higher than my expectations.

Bestiary

I actually have yet to have a chance to open it up. We spent our Tax Refund we won't get. We were there all day and there was only enough time for one. I plan on abusing the bestiary far worse than any other Hero product. My players are going to hate me. Muhahaha!

I did flip through it though and it looks pretty cool.

Re: Bestiary

Originally posted by Super Squirrel

I actually have yet to have a chance to open it up. We spent our Tax Refund we won't get. We were there all day and there was only enough time for one. I plan on abusing the bestiary far worse than any other Hero product. My players are going to hate me. Muhahaha!

I did flip through it though and it looks pretty cool.

DARN IT SQUIRREL!

How many more NPC's have to die before its me, or Rumikofan, or Wraith?

(actually this entire bits been kinda cool)

Why do you try and make us hate you and then laugh maniacly?

IIIIIIIIIIIII'mmmIm meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllllllllttttttttttiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnngggg MEEEELLLLLLLLTTTTIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNGGG

etc.

I love Bestiary. 600+ Monsters are fun.

To respond to Rage, simple: You get no more NPCs. Next time it is You, or Jin, or Jartelis. In fact, my money is on you or Jartelis. Jin actually has an ability that will allow him, and only him to be safe. :D

Of the Record here is the group report card for the last battle:

Overall: C

Teamwork: B

Individual: D

Chance of Surviving Chapter 1: Okay

Bestiary

I have to say that the Hero Bestiary to me feels like I bought the equivalent of the Monster Manual, the Monster Manual II and Fiend Folio (3rd ed coming, ack!). And Bestiary still has more monsters, because of the templates, which I think fall into that category of genius inhabited by all those ideas that seem so obvious after you hear them but that you never would have thought of on your own.

I bought Champions, Star Hero and Bestiary, and yes, Bestiary is definitely the most-used one of the three (and I'm not even running Hero right now!).

Definitely looking forward to the UNTIL Database, now that I know what it does. Perfect supplement for helping the newbie players get up and running quickly. (Ok, quick-er.)

First: Don't get me wrong, I like the bestiary.

Second: It's hard to tell how tough the monsters will be as opponents in a hurry. The chart at the back is helpful but, for example, the velociraptor is far more dangerous than many of the equal point value other bad guys.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I kind of miss the challenge ratings of d20. Those were great for the GM, especially with the lists of monsters by challenge rating.

Minor quibble. Great book!

-DG

Major Purchase

Originally posted by MisterVimes

I have the Original (2nd edition?) Bestiary around the house and I probably cracked the book two or three times. The new Bestriary has become and integral tool.

*Need Ettercaps? There's more than enough info to dash them off quickly (and the HD download is a life saver)

*Daughter wants a Follower: Nightmare? Bang... there it is, slight modification and you are good to go.

*Wife wants a Bear-Spirit Multiform, the Bestiary has three bears to start with, slight modification in HD and you are good to go.

*Need a giant radioactive lizard? Here's your resource.

To be frank, I've used it more than Champions... and I'm running a Champions game! 5th Edition has fulfilled ALL my gaming needs to a level higher than my expectations.

Better than 4th Ed.'s Bestiary?!?? I *love* 4th Ed Bestiary. If 5th Ed.'s is better, I'm gonna *have* to get it.

Oh dear, there goes the budget! :(

;)

Re: Major Purchase

Originally posted by BasilDrag

Better than 4th Ed.'s Bestiary?!?? I *love* 4th Ed Bestiary. If 5th Ed.'s is better, I'm gonna *have* to get it.

Oh dear, there goes the budget! :(

;)

I liked the original Bestiary; I liked the 4E Bestiary even more.

Kiss your budget good-bye, 'cause they're right - the new one's better. ;)