New Talent: Limitless Potential

dbsousa

I got the idea from Star Hero's Psionic Potential Talent, Keith Curtis' Limited XP disad, and listening to the common complaint that FH PC's tend to overlap after a while.

Limitless Potential provides the character with the ability to spend XP beyond the established campaign limits in a specific area. The breadth of the area determines the cost of the Talent.

Limitless Potential w/ one skill: 5 points

Limitless Potential w/ 3 skills or tight group: 10 points

Limitless Potential w/all noncombat, HTH or Ranged Combat: 15 points

Limitless Potential w/ one Characteristic or all Skills: 20 Points

This talent must be bought at character creation and does not affect campaign starting limits. Limitless Potential only affects where the character may place future XP. Limitless Potential ALWAYS requires GM approval. Before approving this, the GM must be comfortable allowing the PC to spend as many XP as he recieves in the selected area.

I would use this to allow characters to call "dibs" on an aspect of their character that other PC's can't infringe on, allowing them growth in areas denied other PC's...

Very interesting idea

What a cool idea!

I have in the past more of less enforced a standard like this, but I've never actually charged points for it (and since I prefer characters to specialize, I might not ask quite so many points - NCM for all stats is only worth 20 points, after all). Then I sort of push it along with player specific seeding of magic items (though that has occassionally gone awry as the wrong person gets the item).

I once had a 'Children of the Gods' FH campaign, where every character could have one superhuman trait, like a stat way over max, or a magical ability, or being the worlds fastes runner, talking with animals, that sort of thing. It was free, but it was a feature of that campaign. I like your idea better.

It seems to me that requiring such an expenditure at the beginning of player creation only works best if the players all know more or less the types of characters they are all going to play. Two "Best Swordsman in the World" characters in the same group is going to create friction. Also, I have some players who change characters so often it would never be bought. Personally, I might allow characters to buy this after the initial "shakedown" period.

My only objection, and it is a very small one, is that you may tend to get 20th level D&D-ish characters as time goes on.