Trek Hero PDF available

Eodin

Characters

I've updated many of the characters in the "Rigel Queen" merchant section. Still pulling together the old character sheets and converting from the old Justice Inc/Danger International style/costs to my updated TNGHero style/costs. The big loser in the costs has been the Vulcan (Sorek), and I may just let his total be more than the 150 points that the other characters cost. Still, it WAS fun reminiscing about the old characters (and their players).

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Revelation

Eodin:

The evolution of TNGHero continues to unfold beautifully. It just occured to me the other day, as I was deconstructing some things, that you use a value of three as the "average" value of 1d6 (versus 3.5). An example is the phaser damage table on Page 98.

You show us the basis of the damage and then the actual damage listed as a digitally controlled weapon: i.e. at setting 8, I see a RKA 8d6 damage, translating to 21+1d6 damage. My interpertation is that you took 7d6 at three points of damage per die to derive the 21. My contention is that we should get that extra half point for a truer translation, so at this particular setting, we'd get (7 x 3.5)= 24.5 or 25 points + 1d6. The principle should apply throughout all derivations regarding d6 principles.

Anyway, it seems like a bit of a nitpick on my part, especially in light of the fine resource you've written. PLease accept it as constructive feedback:)

Charles

3 vs. 3.5

Imperial One/Charles:

No criticism taken! The reason I use 3 vs. 3.5 is the Standard Effect Rule as per HERO Fifth Edition, page 72 (left column, bottom). It says specifically for the SE rule to use a flat 3 points per dice.

I think 3.5 would be better, as long as the half point is always rounded down (1d6 = 3, 2d6 = 7, etc.).

So I will leave it as the official 3 points per dice, and any GMs (myself included) who think 3.5 is better can easily adjust the damage in their own campaigns. :)

characters and scenario (partly)

I've updated TNGTrek.pdf at ...

http://www.rbruce.com/hero/My_Hero_Games_Files.htm

The lycos web-page-modifier module is "temporarily unavailable", so if you want to see the latest version you'll have to go to the site listed above. I'll update the Lycos/Tripod site when it lets me.

What I've added is more characters and villains in various states of completion in the Merchant Characters section, and am about halfway through a rewrite of the Orion Ruse/aka The Ruse scenario for use in Hero Trek in the Scenarios section. (stay tuned for it's completion). [fyi, Orion Ruse was a good scenario, but was badly arranged ... the kind you have to read through 3 times just to know who's doing what.]

I am thinking about modifying the Characters and Scenarios chapters from 2 chapters into 4 chapters [TOS Star Fleet, TOS Merchant, TNG Star Fleet, TNG Merchant] ...so that each chapter begins with player-character Heros, villains they've met, and then scenarios that have been run against those characters...but that may be more work than I want to do. Feedback please...would that be helpful to the readers for me to do that?

Also, please let me if there are any specific holes you would like to see filled (i.e. no Romulan star empire packages) that I may be able to track down info for.

And if anyone has some of the other Decipher Star Trek books, with tidbits that are reasonable to include in this PDF, a good Christmas present would be to send me a text file of the information that I can convert/use :D

Anyway, keep Trekkin' folks. Have a great Thanksgiving too!

2 scenarios

I've updated TNGTrek.pdf at ...

http://www.rbruce.com/hero/My_Hero_Games_Files.htm

since the Lycos/Tripod module is STILL unavailable.

I've finished

The Ruse and Profit Margin in the Missions chapter, more or less. I also ran all the chapters through a spell-checker, so most of my typos should be gone.

Hope everyone had a great Turkeyday!

• 2 weeks later...

Projectzero,

Looks like Seenar has posted some Prime Directive to HERO material, so you should be in good shape!

I pulled down a load of information last weekend on Klingons, and on Romulans and the way of D'era. Anybody know if the way of D'era is [still] considered canon material ?

Your Request

I do believe the LUG material is canon to the game only because a lot of the concepts were ported over (since the designers of LUG Trek and Decipher's CODA Trek are identical). That being said, let me provide you with the key points from the Romulan write-up in the ALIENS Sourcebook by Decipher released a couple of months ago (in CODA rules):

Special Abilities (Racial):

1- KEEN HEARING: The edge Skill Focus (Keen Hearing) for free.

2- The DISCIPLINE OF D'ERA: Trained from birth to serve the Romulan state, they exhibit much dedication and focus. This allows a +1 bonnus to all extended or combined tests in which they participate. Additionally, Romulans aren't easily distracted and do not suffer penalites for distraction.

3- GLORY: Romulans are preoccupied with appearing loyal to the empire. Those who place the empire over their own selves are celebrated. A Romulan with much glory is more likely to gain assistance from superiors and aid from supplicating citizens. As such, Romulan characters gain an enhance benefit from their Renown, improving their chances to persuade other Romulans. When making Influence, Intimidate, Negotiate, and Persuade tests involving other Romulans, the Romulan may add the full Renown modifier to favorably affect the dice roll. No special test is required for this bonus.

4- SURVEILLANCE: Romulnas are encouraged to watch their neighbors for signs of disloyalty. As such, they are adept at watching body language and registering voice stress to glean additional information from their observations. All Romulans therefore gain a +2 affinity bonus to Inquire tests from their Observe skill. Constant surveillance also makes them suspicious, granting Romulans a +1 species bonus to their Savvy tests.

SPECIES ADJUSTMENTS: +1 Strength -1 Presence

The Aliens book has data and background for 50+ alien species (from Andorians to Zaranites, including Humans, Q, Jem'Hadar, Founder...)

Charles

Next update available

Imperial One:

Thanks for the info - I'll digest it for the next update :D

I've updated the TNGHero pdf at both locations. I was lucky enough to pull down some good Klingon info, and a small amount of Romulan info off the Web

I've added 3 options to the Vulcan package in the Federation Races chapter.

I've added a lot of weapons to the Weapons chapter, including Klingon Bat'leth, Vulcan Lirpa, Bajoran Phasers, etc.

I've added a LOT of information on Klingons (and some on Romulans) in the Other Races chapter (the one following the UFP governmental data.)

I've added a write-up for the PADD in the Electronics chapter.

And some miscellaneous things throughout.

The whole thing so far is now 195 pages, so make sure you've got plenty of paper in your printer tray ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Next update

Okay, here's the next somewhat minor update...

• I've added some ideas on canon-based Android characters in the Trade & Economy section under Automatons
  • I've increased the STR Min of the Bat'leth to 12 to be consistent.
  • I've added more information on Shields, Computers, Sensors, and a write-up for the EMH System (with EMH) in the Starship construction section.

Here's wishing a safe and Merry Christmas to everyone! :D

• 1 month later...

Awesome work Eodin!

Finally got around to getting your Dec update!

Wow, this version is about twice the size as the last TNG pdf I had of yours :)

Without fail, anytime I make a 5E-Trek character your pdf is an equal (if not greater) resource for the creation process than the official books [by Decipher].

Just wanted to let you know your efforts are sincerely appreciated, and utilized :)

Originally posted by Nightfly

Awesome work Eodin!

Without fail, anytime I make a 5E-Trek character your pdf is an equal (if not greater) resource for the creation process than the official books [by Decipher].

Just wanted to let you know your efforts are sincerely appreciated, and utilized :)

May I add a "Hell Yes!!" to that?

EB 3D6 Extreme Enthusiasm +1, Area Affect 6" Cone +1/2, Requires Incantation -1/4

First I must say I love you work! I've tried to create 'books' like this before but they have never looked this good or had this much USEFUL in formation. I have only just downloaded it during this last Hr, did a number of searches and man am I impressed.

I was trying to think of something that was lacking but all I could come up with was info/packages for Tholians. For some reason I really liked the Tholians. I think it was because there was so little known about them and I wanted to know more. I would really like you to add more about them, but I don't know if you could if you tried! There just isn't that much about them anywhere.

I remember tidbits here and there like:

they may have been forced out of there home galaxy by another power and set up shop in ours.

They may have originally been scouts / World-Ship that were forgotten about / crashed.

their tech was destroyed in getting here in some way.

ETC.

But there was never any meat. In the show the only think I can remember them doing was saying basically "hay you get lost", giving them x units of time to comply and then slowly making a web around them. The web did something to them but I can remember what any more. :(

If anyone can remember what it did, could you help me create something like that? I was thinking of having them and their web in a game of mine (once I get it off the ground) or at least something like it...all I can remember was it was cool.

----

I may have missed it but is their a Gorn package?

Tholians and Gorn

Thanks for the words of praise - I enjoyed creating it!

The Tholians are very likely a crystalline being, probably a spider-like creature as well, from the picture in "The Tholian Web". Conjecture is that they also perceive space (length, width, height) differently from humans, perhaps even existing in multiple dimensions. According to ST:The Next Generation, they sell a silk that has no equal, and it was the Betazoids that mediated the peace treaty between the Federation and the Tholians. Lt. Riker's father was one of the few survivors of an attack by the Tholians when the Federation and the Tholians were at war. That's about all there is that's known about the Tholians - anything else I'd put together would be pure conjecture.

The Gorns, slow-moving lizard-men, would be an easy package to put together.However, beyond the conflict over Cestus 3 colony, and the combat with Kirk, they were never mentioned -- even in ST:TNG.

The Tholian 'web' is an energy barrier, the web strands acting like a force wall or an entangle constructed as a barrier. The Enterprise was able to get out of the web by using the dimesional flux that was going on -- essentially using Extra-Dimensional Movement to get out of the barrier. I'd probably write it up as a heavy-duty Entangle, that was a continuous (+1) attack because the Tholian ships continously draw the strands of the web, Limitation - only a barrier (-1/2), and requires 2 ships working in tandem to draw the web (-1/2). The # of d6? probably on the order of 10d6 Entangle. It's also 1 hex (or more) wide thread, so Area of Effect (1" by 10") would not be out of the question.

I'd love to get the Decipher book on Star Trek races and convert it for use in the PDF, but I can't justify spending $40 on it right now -- too many other bills with priority. When I can justify the expenditure, that'll go in the PDF.

Re: Tholians and Gorn

Thanks for more good information!

Originally posted by Eodin

The Tholians are very likely a crystalline being, probably a spider-like creature as well, from the picture in "The Tholian Web". Conjecture is that they also perceive space (length, width, height) differently from humans, perhaps even existing in multiple dimensions.

I was woundering why you felt they may be spider-like as well as the crystalline. Is it because of there tech, and why you feel they perceive 'reality' differently? Is that because of the screen view when Kirk talked with them?

Impressions only

Based on the viewscreen when the Enterprise crew talks with Commander Loskene of the Tholian Assembly, the part of the creature we see looks to me to be a crystalline shape - very straight angles and such. The fact that their technology mimics sort of a spider's web, the fact that they sell silk (ST:TNG), and their attitude in general just gives me the impression of a spider-like quality. Again, conjecture only.

I don't remember which book I read it in, but some source suggested that since the Tholians were unaffected by the Interphase that affected the Enterprise & Defiant, that they were probably multi-dimensional beings. And either the Decipher book or another one mentions that the Tholian territory is disjointed - by human perception of dimensions, anyway.

All your conjecture sounds good to me. As long as people know that its conjecture and not fact it can be fun to theorize. At least I think so.

Do you know what they might mean by 'disjointed?' Seems a bit vague to me. I have a hard time creating an image of a disjointed pattern of colonized planets when the fact is you don't get to pick what planets will be good to colonize.

May be they mean disjointed in another way...

Disjointed

My read on disjointed was disconnected territories, like islands in the ocean of space.

By the way, I was reading on Amazon.com last night... the author of "The Tholian Web" was going for a high-tech ghost story... the Defiant being the haunted house, the Captain caught in Interphase being the ghost, the Tholians being the spiders to cause fear, etc. Funny, I never even thought of the story that way...

Like everyone else, Eodin, I offer my praise and gratitude for your excellent work. :)

One other tidbit about the Tholians that I might suggest would be Spock's comment during The Tholian Web, when the Tholians attacked Enterprise precisely at the expiration of their deadline: "The renowned Tholian punctuality." Might be worth developing into a small Psych Lim or Reputation, perhaps broadened into "Precise," "Literal" or "Sticklers For Accuracy."

If you have any interest in info derived from later Trek series, the Tholians factored into an episode of last season's Enterprise. Sensor scans of their ships showed an interior temperature of around 200 degrees Celsius IIRC. That would certainly lend credence to your guess that they're crystalline in substance. Also their voices before translation were a harsh high-pitched squeeling, not unlike fingernails on a chalkboard.

That's the episode. The corpse was apparently from the future, and had various DNA fragments in it, including human and Vulcan. No Tholian DNA mentioned, but I doubt Phlox would have recognized it if he'd seen it, Tholians being so secretive and all.

The Tholians were actually after the alleged time ship the corpse was found in, although their motives were never explained. And man, they were pretty tough antagonists! Four of their little ships crippled a Vulcan battle cruiser, and took out a whole flotilla of Suliban vessels.

Now that you tell me that Tholians Web was meant to be a 'ghost story' I can see it, but I would never seen it on my own.

I have to say that I don't watch Enterprise any more. I tried to watch it but I just couldn't get into it. The crew just seemed to much like unguided teenagers out on the town, then the earths best people, hand picked for such an important mission. Everyone seemed to fight and have problems with each other ( or just came off angry), they often ignored the federation rule book, and the Vulcan's had too much emotions and they seemed to be painted as being underhanded with secret bases and such.

I stopped watching when they went to some planet before making sure it was okay to land and they almost all died. Or was it the episode with the first evidence of time travel... can't remember.

I did like them using some old, less used races more. On it's own I think I could get into it but as part of the ST world I have a hard time with it.

I have a friend that just loves the show and we talk about it all the time... anyway I think I'm just a TOS snob. :) I always want everything to line up with it... Oh well. I hope you didn't mind my input, Just my thoughts.