More space news!

tkdguy

2 minutes ago, Cancer said:

Time travel would permit that contradiction of experience, such that your post was registered here with the timestamp we now observe, yet the computer which allowed you to post it was not functional at that instant. 

Then I created a new Timeline in wich my Computer was non-functional and never submitted that post to the herogames server.

Asuming TL1 is the current timeline. And TL2 is the new timeline.

TL1 sends a action back into time.

TL2 splits off from TL1 at the point at wich TL1 send too.

In TL2 I had a power outage. My Computers Webbrowser never submitted the formular to this Webserver. The Server thus never got it. You never read it.

I only see 2 questions worth asking:

What happens to TL1? Did it stop, because it is no longer possible? Or is it running, seemingly with no change?

Will the people in TL2 able to figure out that the Outage was caused via Timetravel from TL1?

It isn't clear how denizens of different timelines learn of events in the other timeline that happened after the two diverged; given that infinitely many divergences could?  should?  do? occur at any single instant, I don't think it's even meaningful to ask the question.  I can't think of an experiment that you can run that would inform you.  I suppose FTL might let one timeline scribble on another in a way that leaves the scribbled-on timeline more or less intact but with an "obvious" sign from "outside", but that isn't an experiment or observation that residents confined to a timeline can perform by themselves; it's just standing around waiting for impossible stuff to occur.

On 1/18/2018 at 5:28 PM, Zeropoint said:

Damn it, where are they? Given what we know about the origins of life and the ubiquity of planets in the galaxy, it seems vanishingly improbable that we'd be the only ones living here. Blah blah Fermi Paradox blah Great Filter? blah.

I very strongly suspect that a strong Goldilocks effect is at play.  Just the right temperature, just the right amount of water, plate tectonics, one tidally locked satellite, one large asteroid-deflecting gas giant, very few cosmic-scale disruptions.

Either that or all the other civilizations burned too many fossil fuels and gassed themselves to death.

28 minutes ago, Old Man said:

I very strongly suspect that a strong Goldilocks effect is at play.  Just the right temperature, just the right amount of water, plate tectonics, one tidally locked satellite, one large asteroid-deflecting gas giant, very few cosmic-scale disruptions.

Either that or all the other civilizations burned too many fossil fuels and gassed themselves to death.

So the laws of physics keep telling young Civilisations:
"Stop killing youself!"

?

I mentioned the Wolf Moon before. Wikipedia cites this list of full moon names through the year:

The individual names given in Farmers' Almanac include:[clarification needed]

• January: "Wolf Moon" (this is the name of December in Beard 1918)[24] also "Old Moon"
  • February: "Snow Moon", also "Hunger Moon"
  • March: "Worm Moon", "Crow Moon", "Sap Moon", "Lenten Moon"
  • April: "Seed Moon", "Pink Moon", "Sprouting Grass Moon", "Egg Moon" (c.f. "Goose-Egg" in Beard 1918), "Fish Moon"
  • May: "Milk Moon", "Flower Moon", "Corn Planting Moon"
  • June: "Mead Moon", "Strawberry Moon" (c.f. Beard 1918), "Rose Moon", "Thunder Moon"
  • July: "Hay Moon", "Buck Moon", "Elk Moon", "Thunder Moon"
  • August: "Corn Moon", "Sturgeon Moon", "Red Moon", "Green Corn Moon", "Grain Moon"
  • September: "Harvest Moon", "Full Corn Moon",
  • October: "Hunter's moon", "Blood Moon"/"Sanguine Moon"
  • November: "Beaver Moon", "Frosty Moon"
  • December: "Oak Moon", "Cold Moon", "Long Night's Moon"

The Long Night's Moon is the last of the year and the closest to the winter solstice.[25]

"Ice moon" is also used to refer to the first full moon of January or February[26].

--------------

Some of these would make good names for horror scenarios. OTOH "Flower Moon" sounds like a hippie chick and "Frosty Moon" sounds like a stripper.

Dean Shomshak

1 hour ago, Christopher said:

IIRC, NASA was developing a filtration system that turned urine into drinking water, so I guess this is a natural extension. The filtration system was meant for use aboard the ISS. This was several years ago, and I don't know how successful the attempt was. But I told a student about the filtration system. His reaction was, "From now on, I'm gonna look at the stars and think of pee!"

There is water in comets, but it is far from clean or fresh.  Lots of other stuff with it.  Comets also tend to be on orbits that are the most expensive to reach, and also have the greatest difficulty in arranging a tolerable entry into Earth.  A comet impact killed off the dinosaurs.

56 minutes ago, Ragitsu said:

Cost aside (and I know it to be astronomical...no pun intended), what are the inevitable consequences of pulling frozen water from our solar system down to Earth in order to mitigate freshwater shortages?

The actual amount of non-planetary matter actually is small.  The asteroid belt total mass is about 4% of the Moon's mass.  The total mass in comets is not as well known, but relatively few get close enough to us to be grabbable, so to speak.

18 minutes ago, Cancer said:

There is water in comets, but it is far from clean or fresh.  Lots of other stuff with it.  Comets also tend to be on orbits that are the most expensive to reach, and also have the greatest difficulty in arranging a tolerable entry into Earth.  A comet impact killed off the dinosaurs.

The actual amount of non-planetary matter actually is small.  The asteroid belt total mass is about 4% of the Moon's mass.  The total mass in comets is not as well known, but relatively few get close enough to us to be grabbable, so to speak.

I'd ask about "hydrogen farming" as a means of securing enough raw material for the synthesis of the vital liquid, but I feel this is a more foolhardy endeavor since hydrogen is, well, rather explosive. There's desalination, but that too is costly and I believe there are severe side effects to depleting our oceans in the long term.

1 hour ago, tkdguy said:

IIRC, NASA was developing a filtration system that turned urine into drinking water, so I guess this is a natural extension. The filtration system was meant for use aboard the ISS. This was several years ago, and I don't know how successful the attempt was. But I told a student about the filtration system. His reaction was, "From now on, I'm gonna look at the stars and think of pee!"

It reminded me of this scene from Star Trek: Enterprise.