tkdguy

More space news!

2 minutes ago, Cancer said:

Time travel would permit that contradiction of experience, such that your post was registered here with the timestamp we now observe, yet the computer which allowed you to post it was not functional at that instant. 

Then I created a new Timeline in wich my Computer was non-functional and never submitted that post to the herogames server.

Asuming TL1 is the current timeline. And TL2 is the new timeline.

TL1 sends a action back into time.

TL2 splits off from TL1 at the point at wich TL1 send too.

In TL2 I had a power outage. My Computers Webbrowser never submitted the formular to this Webserver. The Server thus never got it. You never read it.

I only see 2 questions worth asking:

What happens to TL1? Did it stop, because it is no longer possible? Or is it running, seemingly with no change?

Will the people in TL2 able to figure out that the Outage was caused via Timetravel from TL1?

It isn't clear how denizens of different timelines learn of events in the other timeline that happened after the two diverged; given that infinitely many divergences could?  should?  do? occur at any single instant, I don't think it's even meaningful to ask the question.  I can't think of an experiment that you can run that would inform you.  I suppose FTL might let one timeline scribble on another in a way that leaves the scribbled-on timeline more or less intact but with an "obvious" sign from "outside", but that isn't an experiment or observation that residents confined to a timeline can perform by themselves; it's just standing around waiting for impossible stuff to occur.

Damn it, where are they? Given what we know about the origins of life and the ubiquity of planets in the galaxy, it seems vanishingly improbable that we'd be the only ones living here. Blah blah Fermi Paradox blah Great Filter? blah.

10 hours ago, Zeropoint said:

Damn it, where are they? Given what we know about the origins of life and the ubiquity of planets in the galaxy, it seems vanishingly improbable that we'd be the only ones living here. Blah blah Fermi Paradox blah Great Filter? blah.

They are hiding!

There are many people who have become convinced that the factor L in the Drake equation, the lifetime of technological civilizations, is smaller than the values under discussion in the past.