More space news!

• Please log in to reply
2748 replies to this topic

#2741 L. Marcus

L. Marcus

. . . Oh, wait . . .

• 52,206 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 04:50 PM

SpaceX and Boeing presents their revised Mars strategies today.
"Things would be much better if more things were on fire." -- lemming

"I may not be consistent, but I'm happily schizoid." -- "V"

"Trouble expands to fill the space available." -- Markdoc

Do you know what becomes of dead dreams?

#2742 DShomshak

DShomshak

Skilled Normal

• 717 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 04:11 PM

The October issue of Scientific American has an informative and very pretty retrospective on the Cassini mission. Also brief articles on planned tests for solar sails, legal questions around asteroid mining, and the possibility of finding bits of the very early Earth preserved on the Moon.

Dean Shomshak

• tkdguy likes this

#2743 Christopher

Christopher

Awesome Programmer

• 8,887 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 03:18 AM

The October issue of Scientific American has an informative and very pretty retrospective on the Cassini mission. Also brief articles on planned tests for solar sails, legal questions around asteroid mining, and the possibility of finding bits of the very early Earth preserved on the Moon.

Dean Shomshak

So, if in fiction there is a war between Earth and the Moon and the earthguys say "you want a piece of me, boy?" the moonguys can say "we already have"?

• DShomshak likes this

#2744 DShomshak

DShomshak

Skilled Normal

• 717 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 05:10 PM

Just heard on All Things Considered: The 2017 Nobel Prize for physics went to three scientists who we4re crucial for building LIGO and detection of gravity waves. It's quick recognition by Nobel standards, but well deserved!

Dean Shomshak

#2745 Cancer

Cancer

Ontology oncology

• 50,351 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 07:22 PM

The three recipients are all old enough that probably their prize needed to be awarded promptly lest they not receive one at all.
... abnormal, non-Euclidean, and loathsomely redolent of spheres and dimensions apart from ours.

#2746 Cancer

Cancer

Ontology oncology

• 50,351 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:41 AM

Kuiper Belt dwarf planet Haumea occulted an undistinguished star, but the observations allowed a tracing of parts of the object's elongated shape, and detected a ring system.

The results are behind the subscriber wall (here). Preliminary comments from that are already in the Wikipedia article for Haumea, but I expect more extensive comments will appear.
... abnormal, non-Euclidean, and loathsomely redolent of spheres and dimensions apart from ours.

#2747 DShomshak

DShomshak

Skilled Normal

• 717 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:12 PM

The BBC and All Things Considered reported today on the observation of two colliding neutron stars. The LIGO observatories registered the gravity waves; at the same time, a NASA satellite saw a flash of light in deep space. Astronomers quickly turned their telescopes to that part of the sky to study the exploding debris of the collision, more than 100 million light-years away. The NPR story has pictures.

Wow.

Dean Shomshak

#2748 L. Marcus

L. Marcus

. . . Oh, wait . . .

• 52,206 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:15 PM

... And professor C. is having conniptions all over the boards.
"Things would be much better if more things were on fire." -- lemming

"I may not be consistent, but I'm happily schizoid." -- "V"

"Trouble expands to fill the space available." -- Markdoc

Do you know what becomes of dead dreams?

#2749 Cancer

Cancer

Ontology oncology

• 50,351 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:56 PM

Yeah, see a couple of posts in NGD-land starting at http://www.herogames...news/?p=2617480