More space news!

tkdguy

I heard the event turned out to be a dud for  most people. I personally don't have much luck when I look for meteor showers, which is why I stopped looking. One notable exception happened by accident in 2008. I was in my backyard talking on the phone. A meteor literally burned out right over my house.

4 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

Dude!  You were _that_ close, and said _nothing_?!  Damn but that sucks!

And yeah: the Unicorn was a complete bust here, too.  :(   I think we saw like  ....    four?  Six?

Not worth the way I felt all day at work the next day, I can tell you that.

My bad, I didn't know you were a Florida Man.  I know Log is but he's way up somewhere around Orlando and new job HQ is down by Ft. Lauderdale.

Anyway, I'll sure I'll be out that way again sooner or later unless I get myself fired.

And for the vast majority of meteor showers I get clouded in.  I can't explain it.  Don't know what was different about this last one.   I didn't think I'd see anything at all since according to the light maps south Florida is about as dark as a magnesium flare.

• 2 weeks later...

My local newspaper printed a story about this, but it's a few months late. Here are some links to an interesting bit of archaic astronomy revived.

Sep 27, 2019 - During Homecoming weekend on the Santa Fe campus, the St. John's ... a functioning armillary sphere, the only one of its kind in the world.

1 day ago - St. John's College in Santa Fe, New Mexico has unveiled the only working Tycho Brahe armillary sphere on Earth. The complex device is used ...
Tyco Brahe Sphere in Santa Fe. Next. David Harber, has unveiled the world's only working Tycho Brahe Equatorial Armillary Sphere, a piece commissioned by ...

Dean Shomshak

• 3 weeks later...

Jan. 2020 Scientific American: "The Galactic Archipelago." An intriguing approach to the Fermi Paradox. As the authors note, how you "solve" the paradox depends greatly on big assumptions of varying degrees of testability. They suggest a comparison with settlement of the Pacific islands: The islands vary widely in how suitable they are for settlement, and in how easily they can be reached from other islands. They also add time as a factor: For instance, Pitcairn Island was inhabited in the 1400s, but empty when the Bounty mutineers settled there centuries later. Similarly, stars suitable for settlement are probably not evenly distriubuted -- and they move, so a cluster of systems that are mutually accessible gradually drift apart. Give civilization in each system a finite lifespan, and settlement across the Galaxy proceeds in spurts and patches, with wide areas where suitable star systems are left fallow for long periods. Earth could very easily be in one such fallow area, and have been so for long enough that any trace of past alien contact or settlement might be hard to find or recognize.

Dean Shomshak

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/science/a-mysterious-radio-burst-is-sending-signals-to-earth-every-16-days/vi-BBZQWl5?ocid=spartanntp

What would we do if we figured out there seemed to be some kind of intelligent pattern to the signals but we couldn't get close to figuring out the contents?  Try signaling back?  Or would there be a whole layer of discussion around what to do next?