'Adding Damage' Question starring Martial Arts & Brass Knuckles

CorPse

Question

Hey Mr. Steve,

This is the kind of thing that keeps me from going to bed when I should. Thank goodness you are on the East Coast, so this'll be answered by the time I'm having my tasty bowl of Hereo's for breakfast.

I'll be as specific as I can...

Given: A character called Knuckles, with 15 STR, has the Dirty Infighting Martial Art with the Manuever Kidney Blow (1/2d6 Killing). He also has Weapon Element: Fistloads.

Question #1. He has a set of Brass Knuckles defined as +3d6 HTH. What is the total Killing Damage he may do if he uses the Kidney Blow?

Question #2. He has a set of Brass Knuckles defined as +1d6 HTH Killing Attack. What is the total killing damage he may do if he uses the Kidney Blow?

Do he's just max out at double the Kidney Blow damage? (1d6+1 Killing?)

I'm sure you've answered a question like this about a thousand times.

So thanks for the usual patience.

CorPse

:bounce:

1 answer to this question

Re: 'Adding Damage' Question starring Martial Arts & Brass Knuckles

1. He does 1/2d6 Killing. First, brass knuckles are a Normal Damage weapon; they don’t increase Killing Damage. Second, weapons don’t increase the damage done by Martial Maneuvers; Martial Maneuvers increase the damage done by weapons. Third, as noted in the Appendix to the UMA PDF (and, IIRC, the former Rules FAQ), Martial Maneuvers that don’t add dice of damage — such as Killing Damage strikes, NND Strikes, Exert-based maneuvers, and so on — cannot be used to add damage to weapons or other attacks.

2. He does HKA 1d6. Again, weapons aren’t defined as “+Xd6 Killing” — the weapon is the base damage, to which he uses appropriate Martial Maneuvers (see above) to add damage.