TravellerHERO PDF in the works

Eodin

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: TravellerHERO PDF in the works

Couple of thoughts on JOT (I notice I didn't address it before):

1. I think you can't use Overall Skill Levels, because you can't use those with a Skill you don't have. (Am I remembering that right?)

I think I actually treated it as OSLs, but allowed the players to use them for anything (which would have to count as a house rule).

2. Would Cramming work? (I'm at work; don't have my book with me.)

5ER says Skill Levels apply to any skill roll, PER roll, etc allowed by the GM. So, Overall Skill Levels with a Limitation to the effect that they can't be used with any skill that the character has an 8- or better roll in might work, although now that I've written it, seems really weird.

Cramming, technically, requires several hours of reading up or what-not to use, so unless you handwave that requirement, it won't work.

Why not just create a general KS: Jack of all Trades 8-. And use the house rule that the skill level cannot be increased beyond this. If the character desires a better roll he/she should either purchase the appropriate FAM or skill. You could even make it a prerequisite that the player first purchase the Skill Enhancer - Jack of All Trades, so that applicable skills purchased subsequently would get the purchase bonus.

that was my other thought, but its too unwieldy for this use anyways

I have a house rule for skills only Vpp's

its going to require a good explanation as to how/why

I've run 2 characters who I was allowed it for

1. a character who was essentially Jared from the "Pretender" Tv Series

a genius who at least seemed to be able to merge into any role/profession

with a bit of preperation

2. a character modeled after Casca from the books of the same name

who has wandered the world for over 2,000 years and has done a bit of everything at one time or another somewhere

both were limited to maximums of 14- or 2 pts with any language

the casca character had to make a memory roll to figure when why he used

a particular skill

5ER says Skill Levels apply to any skill roll, PER roll, etc allowed by the GM. So, Overall Skill Levels with a Limitation to the effect that they can't be used with any skill that the character has an 8- or better roll in might work, although now that I've written it, seems really weird.

Cramming, technically, requires several hours of reading up or what-not to use, so unless you handwave that requirement, it won't work.

Well yes, but the GM would have to be permisive because you cannot use Overall Skill levels with a skill of 8 or Less.

See here for the Q & A.

In 5ER, you would have to look on p.43 (Familiarity, 2nd paragraph).

If you House-Rule it, then I guess you could do it anyway. :D

I'm thinking that for Jack-Of-All-Trades, we should just make this the JOAT Enhancer, and a talent JOAT that's PS: Jack-Of-All-Trades (INT-Based). Make the PS a complimentary skill to any known skills, and an automatic -5 when used to substitute for unknown skills. Complimentary has the effect of adding levels, and the Traveller text does say "This skill is a general ability which may be applied to nearly any endeavor at the discretion of the referee."

That way if he's got a PS: Jack-Of-All-Trades 14-, he's got a 9- to do something he's not familiar with. Not a bad deal I think.

PS Edit:

And that way Extra Time and Levels can apply.

Baseline Traveller Technology Overview

average Imperial Tech Level is 12, with a high of 15, most worlds can sustain etc TL 12

heres some differences between traveller and Star Hero that we should list

Weapons Systems:

Anti Matter Missiles are advanced tech +2, standard nukes are uncommon, however detonation laser nuclear warheads see common use in space combat.

Plasma/Fusion Weapons: In Traveller Plasma and Fusion weapons have a considerable range advantage over those in Hero, and the turret weapons

have a higher rate of fire.

Sensors:

Meson Commo comes into use at TL-15

Traveller doesnt use VPP's for sensors as even at advanced tech levels the

sensor arrays tend to be fixed as far as what sensors are available

Powerplants: Traveller hasnt advanced to anti-matter except for experimental uses and even then its advanced tech[+2] so cold fusion is the standard.

FTL Travel: Jump Drives only, with a maximum of 18 LY per week

FTL Commo: doesnt exist at all, even for theoretical applications

Screens and Forcefields: nothing on a personal level until very advanced tech levels, Ships and vehicles are limited to nuclear dampers and meson screens, and late TL-15 Black Globe Generators

AI: Very Limited AI until TL-15, then true AI becomes feasible

Tractor Beams and similar Things: very limited usage til TL-15, they become avaiilable as defensive bay weapons called repulsors at TL-13

Teleportation/Matter Transport: Advanced Tech, experimentation starting at Late TL-15, very short range and extremely bulky with a high power requirement even at high tech levels

Definately more on this later

How about a JOT skill or talent that costs 3 points (or more) to have an 8- in a wide range of skills (not necessarily precisely defined). Each additional +1 costs 2 points (or more) up to a maximum limit? (I don't recall how good JOT-5 was, for example).

digs out his little black book set

quoting from the sacred tome "Characters and combat" page 20:

This well rounded individual is uncommon in all societies, but is naturally proficient when he or she occurs.

The skill is a general ability that may be applied to nearly any endeavour at the discretion of the referee, The Jack of all trades can attempt activity which is not normally possible due to the absence of skills or expertise. unskilled people have no idea how to even start many projects, JOT can can apply this skill to such a project as if he or she has the skill, JOT can be considered to confer level-0 in all other skills(but never level-1)

Jack of all trades is never sufficient for the character to attain standing in another skilll, use of this skill in medical situations does not imply medic skill

use of this skill to pilot a ship does not imply pilot skill

When using JOT other factors such as relevant stats, equipment and conditions should be taken under consideration

Overall: I think this skill should actually be limited to being taken once

once to give a simple familiarity with any other skill

but no levels can be applied, although I would allow luck to possibly have an effect.

Traveller has changed a lot since the little black books, and a lot of people consider it dated at best in some ways... lets not even start on the computer rules... but how many games have borrowed from it, or used it for reference etc since it came out?

anyhow enough musing...

on to something useful

Tech Level trees:

I am going to borrow from the Megatraveller Referees Companion for this

just because they did a nice job of laying things out and its more complete than

what I have handy for CT

Each Tree is laid out from Traveller Tech Level 5-15 and beyond:

Personal Military Technology:

5: Circa 1930

6: Circa 1950

7: Circa 1970

8: Circal 1990

9: Circa 2010, More lethal laser weapons, ablative armor

10: Advanced Combat Rifle with RAM GL becomes standard, along with

reflective armor.

11: Combat Armor first appears

12: The Gauss Rifle is first introduced as a sniper weapon, along with the

first man portable plasma gun[PGMP-12]

13: Most armies at this tech level equip their troops with gauss rifles and

combat armor. Early forms of Battledress also appear at this tech level, along with plasma weapons designed for BD use only

14: By this point most front line troops are using Battledress and the PGMP-13, while the man portable fusion gun is now introduced, plasma and

fusion weapons also incorporate gravitic recoil compensators

15: more powerful fusion and plasma weapons, along with low recoil plasma weapons that dont require compensators.

16: Early Neural Weapons and Neural Shields appear

17: Pistol sized fusion weapons

18: Early Desintegrators, personal nuclear dampers

19: Desintegrator pistols

20: desintegrator wands

21: Personal White Globe Forcefields, Relativity Rifles

Here's what I have for the Aslan racial template so far.

Aslan Racial Template

Cost.....Powers

3 ........+3 STR

6 ........+3 CON

-6 .......-2 DEX

4 ........Aslan Hearing: +2 PER with Hearing Group

5 ........Aslan Eyes: Nightvision

3 ........Aslan Legs: Running +3†(9†total) (6 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x3 END; -1)

8 ........Dewclaw: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1/2d6 (1d6+1 w/STR) (10 Active Points); Reduced Penetration (-1/4)

Disadvantages

0 ........None

Options

-15 .....Psychological Limitation: Aslan Code of Honor (Common, Strong)

-15 .....Psychological Limitation: Aslan Male (Warrior and Leader; Common, Strong) or Psychological Limitation: Aslan Female (Manager and Thinker; Common, Strong)

And here's the Droyne Common Template so far...

When we decide how we're handling psionics I'll add more.

Cost Powers

5 Droyne Eyes: Nightvision

5 Droyne Eyes: Increased Arc Of Perception (240 Degrees) with Sight Group

4 Droyne Claws: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1 point (½d6 w/STR) (5 Active Points); Reduced Penetration (-¼)

20 Droyne Invisibility: Invisibility to Sight Group , No Fringe (30 Active Points); Limited Power Only vs. organic minds, no effect versus machines (-½)

11 Droyne Wings: Flight 10†(20 Active Points); Restrainable (-½), Limited Power Affected by atmospheric density and gravity (-¼)

3 Droyne Mind Link: Mind Link , Specific Group of Minds (Anyone in the Dreskay) (10 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x5 END; -2), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -¼)

Disadvantages

-10 Psychological Limitation: Duty towards family and society (Common, Moderate)

Drone add-on Template (so far)

Cost .....Powers

10 ........Small and Hard To Hit: +2 with DCV

3 .........Small and Easily Hidden: +2 with Concealment (4 Active Points); Self Only (-1/2)

4 .........Small And Hard To Percieve: +2 with Stealth

Disadvantages

-5 .......-5 STR

-10 ......-5 BODY

-4 .......Small: -2†Running

-5 .......Psychological Limitation: Uncomfortable in groups smaller than 1 Dreskay (Uncommon, Moderate)

Heavy Military Technology Tech Tree:

5: Machine Guns, Trench Mortars, Breech Loading Field Artillery, Early Tanks

6: Armored vehicles increase in importance, leading to the development of a variety of anti tank weapons, tactical and strategic rockets and missiles appear along with as well as primitive Self propelled projectiles, this TL also sees the introduction of Strategic Nuclear Weapons

7: Tanks now incorporate weapon stabilization allowing them to fire while moving, composite laminate armor also appears, a wide range of guided missiles are introduced along with the first appearance of beam lasers.

8: the first barely practical particle accelerators appear, they are non mobile and quite large, computererized systems become standard in all military vehicles

9: The Mass Driver is introduced as an alternate artillery weapon, an improved and lighter weight version of composite armor appears, the first Grav Vehicles and tank mounted lasers appear late in the period

10: Tracked vehicles are completely supplanted by grav vehicles and light wheeled vehicles with crystaliron armor, the plasma gun appears as an artillery and space vehicle weapon, and late in the period is mounted on ultraheavy grav tanks, Gravity repulsors appear for use by space vehicles operating outside of a gravity well

11: Large gauss guns appear as infantry support weapons, almost all grav vehicles are grav propelled and posess a pronounced free-flight capability, effectively merging with military aircraft. Meson guns are introduced as planetary defense and heavy starship weapons, robotic drone missiles appear as an alternative to tube artillery.

12: Conventional artillery is almost completely supplanted by drone missiles, Fusion guns appear as grav tank and space vehicle weapons. nuclear dampers and superdense armor appear late in the period.

13: X-Ray band lasers are introduced, along with gravitic recoil compensators for vehicle mounted plasma and fusion guns allowing these weapons to be mounted even on very light vehicles, Heavy grav vehicles are virtually indistinguishable from orbital craft.

14: Bonded superdense armor appears along with advanced nuclear dampers

capable of providing area defense

15: the Battlefield Meson gun becomes the primary indirect fire weapon, early black globes enable space vehicles to gain complete protection against all forms incoming enemy fire

16: Short range tractor beams appear along with antimatter missiles

Beyond TL 16:

19: Proton Screens and Plastic Metal Armor

lets consider adding Distinctive looks as a Disad for Droyne and Hivers and K'kree' date=' most folk consider them way to alien to relate to. this should also probably apply to Dolphins, and Schaali if were including TNE[/quote']

Okay, but I want to work with tweaking it to be general enough. After all there's a difference between seeing a black man walking around in Hong Kong versus seeing Mr. T with mohawk and jewelry walking around Hong Kong.