Need help with an Invisibility power

Yamo

The Invisibility description states that attacks the invisible character makes are not also rendered invisible unless they have IPE. The example is an invisible fantasy warrior who attacks a goblin with his sword, only to have the sword immediately become visible.

I'm trying to build an Invisibility effect for my own campaign, and I don't want that to be the case. If an invisible warrior punches you or swings a weapon at you, you don't see a fist or a weapon blink into view, you just get whacked by an attack you can't see.

Of course, making every character take IPE on their STR to accomplish this would be silly, as would giving all weapons IPE.

How would I go about doing this?

I would suggest that you make a heading on a piece of paper which reads "House Rules and Clarifications", and beneath that, write "Physical attacks made by an imvisible character share the invisibility of the attacker except in the following cases: (etc. etc.)"

And then give it to your players to read.

I'm not trying to be cute or anything (OK, that's probably a lie) but I think it would be easier in the long run to handle it that way than to fart about with rule mechanics to achieve exactly the same thing.

By the way: would this apply to arrows fired by an invisible archer? If not, at what point do the arrows become visible? When they leave the bow? When the archer releases the nock? When they hit the target? What about thrown weapons?

I would suggest that you make a heading on a piece of paper which reads "House Rules and Clarifications", and beneath that, write "Physical attacks made by an imvisible character share the invisibility of the attacker except in the following cases: (etc. etc.)"

I prefer to never house rule unless I'm absolutely forced to. If there's a legal mechanical way to build this, I want to find it and use it.

By the way: would this apply to arrows fired by an invisible archer? If not, at what point do the arrows become visible? When they leave the bow? When the archer releases the nock? When they hit the target? What about thrown weapons?

Ranged attacks of all kinds would become visible immediately upon exiting the attacker's hex (or hexes for large attackers). Effectively, this Power would only conceal melee attacks.

The Invisibility description states that attacks the invisible character makes are not also rendered invisible unless they have IPE. The example is an invisible fantasy warrior who attacks a goblin with his sword, only to have the sword immediately become visible.

If i was your GM i would say that it depends on how the sfx of the attack is visible. A sword swing is visible because the focus is visible, but invisibility makes what the invisible character carries(including foci) invisible as well, so the sword wouldn't become visbile just because it is swinging(unless the invisibility has the limitation, not while attaching).

If it was a flaming magic sword, then the flames may become visible, because they are generating light and not simply reflecting light.

An invisible archer's arrows cease to be in his possession as soon as they are let loose and thus become visible, same for an invisible gunman's bullets.

However the rule book does specifically state that a character's weapon based attacks are not made invisible. To get around that you could buy invisible power effects as a naked advantage, linked to invisibility.

Originally posted by Yamo

I would need two Linked naked IPE Advantages, wouldn't I? To cover both HA and HKA melee weapons? How high would I need to buy them?

You could probably define the naked IPE to apply to any melee weapon(HA or HKA). You would want to buy it large enough to cover the largest DC weapon you want the invisibility to keep hidden. If the invisibility is strong enough to hide even a great sword at 2d6k(but nothing larger) then the cost of IPE would be based on 30 base points.

Originally posted by Yamo

Like this?

Invisibility to Sight Group, No Fringe (30 Active Points) *plus* Invisible to Sight Group For Up to RKA 3d6 or HA +9d6 (22 Active Points), Linked (-1/4), Total Cost: 48 Points

That should cover the full range of normal and magic weapons.

That should work.