Pulp Reading

Steve Long

Re: Pulp Reading

There was a really cool book that came out a few years ago entitled The Writer's Guide to Everyday Life from Prohibition through World War II. It was from Writer's Digest Books. It's not in print anymore, but you can find it at used bookstores, or used on Amazon. Very useful for creating period flavor, or just doing research into how people lived in the pulp era.

walker

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a really cool book that came out a few years ago entitled The Writer's Guide to Everyday Life from Prohibition through World War II. It was from Writer's Digest Books. It's not in print anymore, but you can find it at used bookstores, or used on Amazon. Very useful for creating period flavor, or just doing research into how people lived in the pulp era.

walker

I mentioned that one myself some time ago; but it is good to mention these books again from time to time as not everyone has time to scroll through all the old posts for the information that they want. The section on Slang might be a useful addition to whatever is eventually put in the rules and the section on cars is very interesting. I like the idea of a wealthy PC having his own Doble steam vehicle to run around in !

My favorite resource is the WPA visitors' guide series. Travel guides to the states written by some fairly notable authors (Steinbeck helped write the California guide), with great photographs.

I desperately wanted one for New York back in the days when they were reprinting them, but I never managed to find one. With PH on the way, I may have to do some looking.

My favorite resource is the WPA visitors' guide series. Travel guides to the states written by some fairly notable authors (Steinbeck helped write the California guide), with great photographs.

I desperately wanted one for New York back in the days when they were reprinting them, but I never managed to find one. With PH on the way, I may have to do some looking.

Amazon.com should still have them. That's where I got it.

The Writer's Guide to Everyday Life.... was pretty good for color details, but it's so horribly over-priced. Check the library.

Hard to believe 7 pages of thread on pulp writers and not one mention of Louis Lamour. best known for his westerns lamour "cut his teeth" in the pulps writing adventure fiction. his Characters such tramp steamer captain "Ponga Jim" Mayo and Fortune hunter Pilot "Turk Madden" are pure Pulp archetypes.

go to amazon or borders and look up:

The hills of homicide

"In the dark alleys of the pulsing cities and the savage criminal wilderness, Louis L'Amour introduces a new brand of characters: men like Kip Morgan, the ex-fighter turned detective who is tough enough to bounce a bouncer, yet has more up his sleeve than sheer muscle; Joe Ragan, dedicated career cop who fears nothing in the pursuit of justice; and women whose soft laughter covers their underlying cruelty.

These are fast-moving stories of brawls where once a man goes down and doesn't get up fast enough he's through, of flashing knives that whisper death, of guns that blaze their fatal file through the blackest nights."

Night over the Solomons

"They're freelance pilots and full-time troubleshooters for democracy. They're men like Steven Cowan, Mike Thorne, and Turk Madden who face danger every day of their lives and fight like tigers for what they believe in. With the world on the brink of war, they're on the front lines, wherever there's action. From the dangerous South Seas islands, to steaming South American jungles, to the other islands of Japan, you'll find these man ready to fight the enemies of freedom--in a battle to the death."

West from Singapore

"He's a two-fisted American adventurer and veteran of a hundred waterfront brawls. He's "Ponga Jim" Mayo, and he minds his own business and leaves international intrigue to others. But, as master of his own tramp freighter, trouble seeks him out as he navigates the treacherous East Indian seas from Borneo to Singapore. Never one to back away from danger, Jim straps on his colt automatic and takes the helm of the Semiramis, ready to battle pirates and spies, dope peddlers and gunrunners and whoever else dares to challenge his command...and God help the man who crosses Jim Mayo."

Pulpy enough for ya??