Pulp Film Recommendations

Steve Long

Re: Pulp Film Recommendations

Hmmm' date=' I dunno. After all, you guys got a professional basketball team, and we didn't. ::looks down, scuffs foot:: :D[/quote']

May be, but your hockey team still beats ours! :)

Funny sidenote: When I was a kid growing up in Charlotte, I couldn't have told you where Greensboro was to save my life. But I knew that I hated it, because the Charlotte Checkers ALWAYS lost when they played Greensboro.

I loved when my dad took me to home Checkers games, except when Greensboro was in town.

(It didn't / doesn't help that Greensboro still usually gets more and better concerts than Charlotte does.)

And now my in-laws live in Greensboro, too. Life is full of irony.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

X-Files TV series, on episode from season six it was first aired on November 22, 1998

Triangle: In the Bermuda Triangle, Mulder is rescued by a long-lost luxury liner, on which it's 1939. Familiar faces abound as passengers and crew suspect he's with the Nazis who've just boarded the vessel.

Partially filmed on the Queen Mary it has a pulp element for the 1939 part of the show. Worth a watch. It is also funny to see Mulder not understand at the beggining that he has traveled back in time.

I'm nearly as surprised that nobody's mentioned The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen as I am that someone did mention my other recommendation for "modern pulp," the "Relic Hunter" TV series (though focus on the first season; the show "jumped the shark" into heavily mystical plotlines for the second).

I'll also second the "TailSpin" recommendation.

And of course The Shadow and The Phantom are must-see films. The quality of each has been hotly debated (I'm in the "enjoyed a whole lot" column for both), but they do definitely illustrate the pulp feel.

Guest bblackmoor

"Relic Hunter" TV series (though focus on the first season; the show "jumped the shark" into heavily mystical plotlines for the second).

"Relic Hunter" had a second season? Why??

And of course The Shadow and The Phantom are must-see films.

I would have to agree. The Phantom, in particular, makes excellent use of the source material.

"Relic Hunter" had a second season? Why??

The same reason it had a first season: TV producers will put anything on if it has a hot babe in it.

The show seemed to me simply a vain attempt to cash in on the Tomb Raider craze that was sweeping the nation at that time. Goes to show you -- now nobody cares about Tomb Raider any more because the movies were so bad.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Big trouble in little china. Modern setting but lots of classic pulp elements. Actually, I remember Darren mentioning it around the time pretty but boring (Sky Captain) came out. Buckaroo Banzai as well is very pulp.

I only remeber bits of this film but: Lost Horizon (1937) - A plane crash delivers a group of people to the secluded land of Shangri-La -- but is it the miraculous utopia it appears to be?

HG Wells - War of the Worlds and Time Machine

Regarding league of extraordinaire gentlemen - great graphic novel - awful hideously bad movie. (probably wouldn't have been as unpleasant to me if it hadn't been named for the original with which it shares very little.)

and to toss out another From Hell. Again the graphic novel is amazing the movie has heather graham and johnny depp (but is still bad). Pulp by gas-light genre perhaps?

Films based on HP Lovecraft stories - some of the stories are more pulp than horror.

The local art theatre showed Forbidden Planet a couple of weeks ago, as part of an ongoing series in honor of late-night movie host Dr. Madblood. It's surprising how well it has held up. I have seen much worse SF movies in the last ten years -- in the last year, even.

(This Friday is the next installment of the film series: the original Japanese Godzilla. I'm really looking forward to that.)

The original Godzilla is...in its uncut form....a pretty dark film. Very enjoyable. Have fun.

Guest bblackmoor

and to toss out another From Hell. ... Pulp by gas-light genre perhaps? ... Films based on HP Lovecraft stories - some of the stories are more pulp than horror.

I don't think I would include penny-dreadfuls in with pulp. There is some overlap, as there is among all genres, but I think that they are reasonably distinct.

Did anyone mention J-Men Forever? The Firesign Theater lovingly butchered a half dozen or so serials and repasted them, doing a pretty hilarious voice-over. It runs precisely the way any game runs when I have multiple heros with unusual abilities. If you can find a copy, it's pretty hilarious.

'Deep Rising' is definitely in the pulp category - remove the modern high tech elements and you have a classic pulp South Pacific / China Seas piracy horror crossover.

I may have missed it... nobody seems to have mentioned the excellent 'Flash Gordon' movie :)

For pulpy horror try 'Night Of The Demon', the movie version of an M R James short story, and the Hammer movie version of 'The Devil Rides Out' to get that classic 30's feel.

For an SF twist you could do worse than the original Quatermass movies, rockets, monsters and all :nonp:

I'll add more as I think of them...

Guest bblackmoor

'Deep Rising' is definitely in the pulp category ...

For pulpy horror try 'Night Of The Demon'

I don't think either of those is pulp, but they are both great movies.

Most definetly pulp but not quite the specific era:

McKenna Gold, a old west treasure hunt with a big pulp ending. so-so as a movie but a decent integration of the high pulp with a western genres.

The Assassination Bureau, starring Oliver Reed, Diana Rigg and Telly Savalas. Oliver Reed is the head of a syndicate specializing in assassinating any one for the right price. Diana Rigg is the daughter of a victim who hires the Bureau to assasinate it's own him. Action, adventure, sword fights, death defying stunts, romance and zeppelins. A must. Takes place during the days before WW1.

The original King Kong, a collision between a lost world romance, and a wild, urban pulp adventure.

The Big Brawl, Jackie Chan depression era fight movie, good for unconventional heroic adventure and a bar fight to beat them all.

Not pulp but...

The Sting, as a great depression era caper movie with scads of usable characters.

Hearts of the West, about a would be writer who ends up a 20s silent Western star, good story and great characters set in the Hollywood of the pulp era

Please. please avoid...

Jake Speed, a reporter goes in search of an elusive, modern pulp writer who has been secretly basing his stories on his own adventures.

Megaforce, think of this film as a MST3K lost oppourtunity of the highest order.

Please. please avoid...

Jake Speed, a reporter goes in search of an elusive, modern pulp writer who has been secretly basing his stories on his own adventures.

I'll avoid it, but I might borrow the idea. Sounds like a cool character concpet and a story idea with potential.

In cxompetent hands, of course.

To "Redmenace" I would classify "Hearts Of The West" as "pulp" or "Neo Pulp". Good choice of "The Assassination Bureau", I had forgotten that one ! As you say "McKenna's Gold" would certainly make a good Pulp scenario. I agree about "Jake Speed"; lovely idea, bad execution.

The Big Brawl' date=' Jackie Chan depression era fight movie, good for unconventional heroic adventure and a bar fight to beat them all.[/quote']

Jackie's groundbreaking movie Miracles (AKA The Canton Godfather) also fits the pulp gestalt - 1920's / 1930's era, gangsters, outrageous action, nice blend of naivete and cool. It's essentially Jackie Chan's version of the Capra classic 'A Pocketful Of Miracles'. And it has Aniti Mui in a prominent role. Well recommended :winkgrin:

One of the first movies I saw as a very young child in hospital fits right into the pulp category; Wake Of The Red Witch starring John Wayne is real hardcore pulp. The screenplay could have been written by Robert E Howard at his darkest. It features a giant octopus, a volcanic South Pacific island, sunken gold, pearls / treasure, a damsels in distress, an evil shipping magnate, a dark-hearted two-fisted hero, a violent love triangle and a twisted revenge plot. Still on the John Wayne kick you could stretch the point a little to include The Quiet Man for one of the most outrageous fight scenes of all time :rolleyes:

Getting back to the Depression era I'd also recommend The Streetfighter, a classic Charles Bronson movie about bare knuckle boxing. I think it was called something like Hard Times in the USA.

I haven't read all of the pages of this thread but I did a search and didn't come up with any results for these movies.

Chandu the Magician (1932)

The Return of Chandu (1934)

Chandu on the Magic Island (1935)

Chandu is Frank Chandler, a man trained as a mystic yogi, who is sent to fight evil in the western world. In the first movie he goes up against Roxxor (Bela Lugosi) who has stolen a death ray that was invented by Chandu's brother-in-law. (His brother-in-law worried that the ray would be put to evil use. You called it a DEATH RAY you idiot! What did you think it was going to be used for? :rolleyes: ) In the second and third movies Lugosi takes over the role of Chandu. Heroes with mystic powers, death rays, Egyptian princesses, nubile young girls in danger and ancient tombs. What more could you ask for in a pulp movie?

There are also the five Fu Manchu movies starring Christopher Lee (there were many other Fu Manchu movies but I've not seen them).

The Face of Fu Manchu (1965)

The Brides of Fu Manchu (1966)

The Vengeance of Fu Manchu (1967)

The Blood of Fu Manchu (1968)

The Castle of Fu Manchu (1969)

Guest bblackmoor

Chandu is Frank Chandler' date=' a man trained as a mystic yogi, who is sent to fight evil in the western world....[/quote']

Great suggestion! I had never heard about these films. Thanks.

The Mysterious Dr. Satan.

Originally, this movie was supposed to be a Superman cliffhanger serial, but the deal fell through and RKO made the serial anyway, but with a character they created, the mysterious hero known as the Copperhead, who is the FBI agent descendant of the original Copperhead (who was an old west bandit) investigates the goings on in his great grandfather's ID.