Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Wednesday Night's game was the first of my d20 SAS characters-to-Hero 5 characters games. I broke out my old 4E VIPER book, and I'm running the 'Microfilm Madness' scenario out of it. As an ulterior motive to getting the PCs a base, there's a Golden Age heroine in attendance with a deep, seething hatred of VIPER (crippled her, killed her husband, that sorta deal). She saves a PC's life with a warning, and later invites them all to meet her in her humungous limosine ("I got in on the initial stock offerings of two little companies called IBM and Wal-Mart.")

At this point, I have hunkered down, imitating her slouch, put on my most serious, Bruce-Wayne-In-Batman-Beyond scowl, and added a bit of gravel to my voice. In the meantime, a friend of our host has moved into the next room and started playing a movie.

I start my speech: "Let's get right to the point. To put it simply ..."

Female voice from TV in the next room: "DAMN!"

Everybody lost it for a good five minutes.

This one happened a while ago... about 93 if I recall.

Situation: We were running the Famous Island of Dr Destroyer adventure, and the Superteam (Vanguard had just made their way to the end of the underground complex, after facing 100s of Destroyer agents, upwards to 10 supervillains in the good Dr's employ, and are now face to face with Dr D himself (Finally). The team started out nearly 15 strong, and was now down to 4 heroes. Napalm, Starstrike, Phoebus, and Wildcat.

Dr D goes into his lengthy speech about how he is the only true ruler of the earth, and that his master plan will rid the world of the chattel, leaving only the most superior, and that this was the hero's last chance to remain among the chosen few who would be left to be lead by Destroyer (you know typical Megalomaniac garbage)

All the Heroes were on their last leg (just a few Stun, almost no End etc...) except Wildcat, who had an awesome REC, and Regen. Knowing that a simple Martial artist/Wise ass couldn't really do anything against THE DR. He opted for a sacrifice...

Dr D: "So heroes, what will it be? A fulfilling lifetime of serving the greatest personage ever to grace this planet, or utter annihilation?

Wildcat:*Raising his hand timidly* "Uh.. .Sir... Mr ah.. Dr Destroyer Sir... One question please.

Dr D: *with his most annoyed voice* "Speak"

Wildcat: "An Ass Sphincter says 'What'"

Dr D: *not sure he really herd the fool* "What?"

Wildcat: *smirks*

Dr D: *Now sure of what the little fool said, and quite angry at having been made a fool of.* "DIE!!!" *Blasts Wildcat with his most powerful attack*

The rest of Vanguard: "Now" *Combining their attacks on Dr D, and send him crashing into his own Doomsday devise.*

We all just died laughing ... But not till after Dr D was down.

QOTW

This just happened tonight in my B5 hero game. A character who could fly spacecraft had just crashed a small anti-grav hoversled, twice. The Engineer of the group, who can't leave anything mechanical alone wanted him to fly the one still operating some more so she could figure out how it worked.

The quote, by the engineer, during this exchange, "I promise it won't crash again." To the pilot!

TimS.

Originally posted by assault

Hi Oberon,

You're from Toowoomba?

Alan

Hi Alan,

I am indeed! What do you know, another Toowoomba person!

Got a question,

Cold enough for you?? :):):)

(says I as I sit typing, wrapped in a blanket, a cup of hot choc in front of me :D )

oberon

Sergeant Sonic to NPC: "Well, sometimes people need to disappear."

Let's just say the particular NPC isn't very trusting of the Sarge anymore.

---

And on the Toowoomba connection, my step-sister in law lives there. Other than that, I have no knowledge of the place... :)

Love em and leave em

This happened while they were investigating, and managed to get way off track. The PC with Shrinking was about 3" tall and sneaking through the unsuspecting suburban family's home, when he came upon the young boy's bedroom. He failed his stealth. The little boy made his PER, cried out "Someone got me a Altura doll??!! Cool!!"

The character realized he'd been spotted and froze in place, allowing the kid to grab him and carry him around. The kid sneaked into his sister's room and was about to start abusing her Barbie doll, when his mother called him to eat. He tossed our hero and Barbie onto the bed in Barbie's "house" and ran to eat.

After waiting til the kid was gone, Altura got up, then told Barbie, "I'll call you."

The rest of our group was in stitches. :)

The resident mutant relaying that someone had tried to recruit him into the mutant supremacy group (ala the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants) called The Revolution to the rest of the team:

Bankshot: "They tried to recruit me into their organization...they're metahuman terrorists calling themselves The Revolution."

The Nightshade in his best Dark Avenger of the Night creepy voice: "Don't worry...this revolution will NOT be televised!"

This happened last weekend in a Jadeclaw game. We had just finished beating back bandits that had tried to steal our wagons and we were decided whether or not to burn them in a pyre or not.

GM: Its going to stink and you're going to be there the rest of the night

Player1: We can wait until morning, what are they going to do turn in to zombies?

GM: Okay, its just before dawn, you're on watch roll perception

Player1: Success

GM: You notice the bodies moving, four zombies are attacking you.

This was in an old Marvel Superheroes Game (the better-than-people-give-it-credit-for SAGA system, with the Fate Deck rather than dice). At any rate, a buddy of mine was playing a character with Phasing, and I had Teleport and Invisibility. We were the espionage squad. The GM had a very ... linear way of doing things (both running games and playing), so was completely unable to come up with any way to stop us.

Anyway, we're investigating a Sentinel outpost in the middle of the Nevada desert. Through some sneaky manipulations and sabotage, we managed to get all the human troops into their barracks (surprise inspections), and seal the barracks doors, locking them in. We then sent the Sentinels on a wild goose chase, and opened the gates for the rest of our teammates.

A couple of minutes later, I looked at my friend, looked around, looked back to him, and said, "You know what this means, don't you? All Their Base Really ARE Belong To Us."

In a newly formed Champions team, we were informed about some of our new base's features. This in character conversation happens a little while later.

NPC (to another PC): I can get you some Reggie Bars. I just happen to have a box of them. But you'll owe me big time!

PC: I haven't had a Reggie Bar in a long time. OK.

ME: What's a Reggie Bar? never heard of it.

PC: It's another company's answer to the Baby Ruth Candy Bar. It didn't last long.

ME: So they don't make it anymore...

NPC: Yeah. I can give ya a couple, but you'll owe me, since they are so rare.

PC: That's fine, I really want one.

ME: Ummmm....Don't we have food replicators?

PC: realization dawning...Laughs.

Originally posted by oberon

Got a question,

Cold enough for you?? :):):)

(says I as I sit typing, wrapped in a blanket, a cup of hot choc in front of me :D )

Umm, Oberon,

you need to remember that there are Canadians, and other citizens of the "places that are really cold" here.

With that in mind, I will admit that, yes, it has been a bit nippy of late. I particularly appreciated today's combination of rain and wind, which first slowly and methodically soaked you, and then dropped the temperature a bit. It wasn't snow, and nobody was likely to freeze to death because of it, but it was very.., umm.., very.. bracing (that's the word!) indeed.

I'm still generally surviving with a light jumper, a long sleeved shirt, and a tee-shirt underneath the long sleeved one at night. During the day, I've been losing the jumper. At work I've been rolling up the long sleeves... Of course, it's not winter yet - this is still Autumn.

Anyway, we should keep an eye open for each other's posts: if neither of us convinces the other that we are complete twinkies we might have to actually stumble across each other in person at some point...

(I don't have a group in Toowoomba at the moment. I've been a bit of an occasional member of some Brissie groups for a while, but that doesn't really work.)

Oh, and I've been playing Champions since early '82, and I've got the rulebooks to prove it... :)

Alan

Originally posted by assault

Umm, Oberon,

you need to remember that there are Canadians, and other citizens of the "places that are really cold" here.

Oh, definitely :)

Got to admit, I prefer the cold weather to the heat, which is odd considering I grew up in North Queensland. I find it amusing when I'm talking to my family and they are complaining about how cold it is (the min. temp in Cairns is usually about the same as the max temp here :) )

I'm still generally surviving with a light jumper, a long sleeved shirt, and a tee-shirt underneath the long sleeved one at night. During the day, I've been losing the jumper. At work I've been rolling up the long sleeves... Of course, it's not winter yet - this is still Autumn.

Still in the tshirt and shorts for most of the day. The usual comment at work is that people really know when winter has arrived, when they see me bothering with jeans/jacket.

Anyway, we should keep an eye open for each other's posts: if neither of us convinces the other that we are complete twinkies we might have to actually stumble across each other in person at some point...

(I don't have a group in Toowoomba at the moment. I've been a bit of an occasional member of some Brissie groups for a while, but that doesn't really work.)

Oh, and I've been playing Champions since early '82, and I've got the rulebooks to prove it... :)

Alan

Cool. I've never actually played Hero, yet :)

Bought C:NM just before 5th ed came out, found it didn't really do what I wanted, so I sold it and got 5th as soon as it came out. Unfortunately, I don't really have the time at the moment to develop a campaign (finishing my PhD) and most of the people I game with have yet to be convinced of the benefits of Hero, to be bothered trying a one-shot. Ah well, I'll wear them down eventually, and then they shall join the converted :D

I do know a couple of other people in Toowoomba, who have played Champions in previous eds., and are keen to try 5th, so it's on the backburner until I have more time on my hands.

Of course, if someone wanted to run a Hero game that I could play in, that would be another matter. I'm sure I could find SOME free time ;)

cheers

oberon

Originally posted by oberon

Of course, if someone wanted to run a Hero game that I could play in, that would be another matter. I'm sure I could find SOME free time ;)

cheers

oberon

Hmm. Definitely Hmm.

I may have to think about this.

Alan

I blush to admit it but several years ago, carried away by my own rhetoric as a GM my descriptive powers short circuited somewhat.

"The zombies lurch toward you, reeking of odour."

Still gets brought up from time to time...

Speaking of Feng Shui, this one is from a game I was in a couple of years ago:

My friend Joey rolls to hit an opponent who has laughed off the worst the party has been able to throw at him so far, and gets a 6 on his positive die (which, in Feng Shui means he gets to re-roll it and add the results).

Me: "Impressive."

Joey: (rolls another 6)

Me: "Most impressive."

Joey: (rolls another 6)

Me: "Obi-Wan has taught you well."

Joey: (rolls something that isn't a 6)

Me: "Oh, good, I was running out of Darth Vader quotes."

Needless to say, he waxed the poor bad guy pretty thoroughly.

-edited to fix stupid html tags

Though there is this one that is rather good. Midnight is wearing earplugs because they are facing Sonic, a villain who seems to be capable of mind controlling people. Sil-D isn't but has been hit by a very powerful flash attack.

"Sonic says something but considering how neither of you can hear him it doesn't matter."