Red Stars: campaign

greymankle

This a call to all the experienced Hero players out there. I need some advice. I've been playing Hero for about two years now. I'm taking the plunge to try and run a game for our group. The group has an established world that they know and love. Our main GM has been running it for about 15-20 years now. Not sure exactly how long as I am a new-comer. So it's a pretty tough audience with established expectations. Of course they are all nice and helpful but I would prefer my baptism-by-fire to not end in charred remains.

Right now the biggest roadblock I'm encountering is the mechanics. I have a good grasp on the basics. It just seems that creating NPC's/Enemies should be easier than I'm making it. Are there tools out there you verterans have that you feel like sharing?

Right now I'm trying to flesh out the agents and minions running around that they may encounter. I can make the stats but figuring in the balance gives me headaches. I don't want a TPK in the first session but I need some fear to get them moving in a fight.

I'll post a campaign "splash page" a little later. Vaguely it will be a high-tech military game. I hope to add in some espionage and mystery.

The game won't be starting for a while. I have plenty of time. Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Re: Red Stars: campaign

The most simple advice is to tread cautiously out of the gate rather than pressing them to the wall on the first night. Play around a bit with the numbers of creatures, thier damage, and their offensive power. Think like playing DOOM - in the early stages you are taking on 1-2 weak zombies but pretty soon you have 4-5 Pink Demons coming your way.

It is kinda hard to get into more detail without a good handle on your game - is it real world tech? Maybe a little wicked-cool advanced gadgetry? If so, balance the firepower average damage to the armor (i.e. if 2d6 RKA is the average then you are looking at 7 BODY --- armor should cover that average, around 8 would be a good number). More dice in RKA equals a better bell curve but also equals higher levels of DEF and the possibilty that a fantastic roll can just flat out kill someone.

Look for STOP SIGN powers and avoid those in you villains....don't design the cool bad guy with NND + Autofire stun bags.

Edsel can probably offer you some advice as he is gearing up for a similar sounding type of game (but we get to hunt monsters). He has successfully ran a very long term 4E DC game..... http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13463

He might be willing to share resources (we run a higher lethality, movie realism [not real, realism and not cinematic either something like a Die Hard] style of game).

Hope things go well and flesh out the bones for those of us with an interest in reading.

This a call to all the experienced Hero players out there. I need some advice. I've been playing Hero for about two years now. I'm taking the plunge to try and run a game for our group. The group has an established world that they know and love. Our main GM has been running it for about 15-20 years now. Not sure exactly how long as I am a new-comer. So it's a pretty tough audience with established expectations. Of course they are all nice and helpful but I would prefer my baptism-by-fire to not end in charred remains.

I know you're not asking for this per se, but I would definitely consider a relatively simple introductory campaign. Don't go for epic scale, and try not to emulate the previous GM. Do a short campaign that maybe introduces a new antagonist, but have a definite ending. Then, at the end of the adventure, talk to the group about what was liked and disliked about the campaign.

I've been in your position before, and while everything turned out well in the end, my initial mistakes caused some turmoil for a while.

Right now the biggest roadblock I'm encountering is the mechanics. I have a good grasp on the basics. It just seems that creating NPC's/Enemies should be easier than I'm making it. Are there tools out there you verterans have that you feel like sharing?

Cheat. I don't make up NPC stats unless I need them. I might note COM and PRE scores initially, just for description purposes, but I don't put actual numbers until I need them.

As for villains, unless I intend to use a villain over and over again I'll take a pregenerated villain and give him a different name, different special effect (maybe), and so on. Minor tweaking of powers/stats to fit my needs, and whatever personality I so desire. Again, though, this is only for throw-aaway encounters. I make recurring NPCs/Villains the same way I make my own PCs.

Right now I'm trying to flesh out the agents and minions running around that they may encounter. I can make the stats but figuring in the balance gives me headaches. I don't want a TPK in the first session but I need some fear to get them moving in a fight.

"TPK"?

Ok this is my first attempt to put my thoughts on paper so bear with any large plot holes and rambling.

My world of Arcanus (working name I don't like it)

It exists as an alternate earth to the main body earth at our gaming table. Technology has soared beyond compare. The entire solar system has been colonized or deemed unfit for a colony. Earth resides as the main seat of power and commerce. A solar system wide alliance is in place. The two main breakthroughs in trade and technology are inter-alternate earth travel and Lazurite. (another working name)

Trade routes have been formed with various AE's allowing Arcanus to focus it's efforts. Arcanus can get food from "Farm world", base metals from any number of un-colonized AE's and of course a very diverse culture. Being the only facilitator for inter-AE travel Arcanus gets a cut of any trades moving through it. The diverse societies have created a new barter system for inter-AE trade. Within Arcanus a system of credits exists.

Lazurite has been found on 3 AE's thus far. Lazurite is a hybrid metal formed from cooled lava-like flows. It's very dense, durable metal but remains light. These properties make it perfect for electronics, armor, cybrenetics, weapon systems almost everything. Thus Arcanus had made it it's bussiness to collect Lazurite. All though 3 AE's have discovered Lazurite only Arcanus has the means to utilize it. The smelting/ smithing process is very difficult and expensive. The most suprising aspect of Lazurite is it's ability to heal itself. Applying un-cooled Lazurite to a broken piece slowly bonds the to back together. After it is cooled back down the piece appears as if it was never broken. The metal seems to remember how it is intended to look.

That being said- Our adventure focuses on the outer-most planet in the solar system. Pluto and it's moon Charon serve as a military base and training facility. Specifically Charon houses the base and pluto houses the means to support it. The icy atmosphere has made Lazurite-based weapons and armor all the more effective. It seems to get tougher as it gets colder. I flase atmosphere has been created to allow human life on the surface but it does not cover the entire moon. The Charon military complex is a vast assortment of training regiments and R&D. Each of the three large pyramids equally placed around Charon could house 10's of millions. Shopping, sleeping and public floors exits on the bottom while the more secret room exist higher. Most of the inhabitants are soldiers or contractors who work for the military. However civilians are allowed to visit and shop.

Pluto will house a up-teched version of Hudson City. Smugglers and bandits exist on the "dark side" of the planet. Since Charon and Pluto continually show the same face to one another, criminals can hide form the military by moving to the far side. I'm not sure if I'm going to make Hudson the smuggler hangout or the respectable city.

The internet has progressed into complete virtual reality. For you Shadowrun players, everything is a UV host. Cybernetics are popular. They are easier to get on Earth since most things around Pluto are military controlled. But you can get it. AI's have been created but only in small non-military machines. A few Doctors have AI nurses but this is the rarity not the norm.

There are maybe 10 AI's in the solar system.

Our PC's will be a Red Star team. The best of the best (of course) There are three Red Star teams, one for each Charon complex. They are sent out to do everything. They protect foreign AE dignitaries, they kill foreign AE dignitaries. The Military acts as judge and jury through out the system. Not quite as bad as Judge Dredd but it could get there. The Red stars are the secret police. The are known about but not acknowledged. Sitting down in a bar and calling yourself a red star could have many reactions. They could laugh at your joke, uneasily leave, or plot to kill you whilst you are unarmed.

As for the feel I want in my game:

I want gun shots to hurt but not so much that we can't have a lively fight. Woo-jumping will not be punished or praised. I want to allow players to have fun, but not make them do crazy stuff just to get a plus 1. Well placed shots can kill. Head-shots and such. HtH sounds likely to be less effective. If you bring a knife to a gun fight you better be darn good with said knife. Not saying it can't be done. But if the guy you're fighting draws a knife to your uzi. He's either bluffing or gonna whip the crap out of you.

That's about all I've got for know. Any thoughts?

I know you're not asking for this per se' date=' but I would definitely consider a relatively simple introductory campaign. Don't go for epic scale, and try not to emulate the previous GM. Do a short campaign that maybe introduces a new antagonist, but have a definite ending. Then, at the end of the adventure, talk to the group about what was liked and disliked about the campaign.[/quote']

Any advice is welcome.

Well I'm sort of going for a detailed world but small scale adventure. This campagin world is actually a homeworld of a character I played in the main game. So by fleshing out the campaign I flesh out my character. Two for one in my mind. Hopfullly by keeping them in the military I can control some aspects and run a misison oriented/episodic campaign. If they like it I can branch out later.

As for villains, unless I intend to use a villain over and over again I'll take a pregenerated villain and give him a different name, different special effect (maybe), and so on. Minor tweaking of powers/stats to fit my needs, and whatever personality I so desire. Again, though, this is only for throw-aaway encounters. I make recurring NPCs/Villains the same way I make my own PCs.

Where do you get your pregen's from? Just the back of the fifth edition book? Right now I am working with DC and Hudson city. I'm having Sidekick sent to me. Is there an online resource for generic crunchies?

"TPK"?

Total Player Kill: I come from a D&D background where PC's can pop out of the ground like daisies. I plan to have no resurection type abilities so I don't want to kill the players outright. If they really screw well... such is life.

Ok this is my first attempt to put my thoughts on paper so bear with any large plot holes and rambling.

First and foremost... as a potential player in this game, I think it sounds tres cool! I've always enjoyed playing gun-toting badasses who end up dead in a gutter by the end of the game. This sounds right up my alley!

My world of Arcanus (working name I don't like it)

I agree. Sounds magical, not sci-fi... and I love the s-f feel of this game. We'll think of something on this.

It exists as an alternate earth to the main body earth at our gaming table. Technology has soared beyond compare. The entire solar system has been colonized or deemed unfit for a colony. Earth resides as the main seat of power and commerce. A solar system wide alliance is in place. The two main breakthroughs in trade and technology are inter-alternate earth travel and Lazurite. (another working name)

Actually, I do like this name. Has some dangerous implications to consider.

Trade routes have been formed with various AE's allowing Arcanus to focus it's efforts. Arcanus can get food from "Farm world", base metals from any number of un-colonized AE's and of course a very diverse culture. Being the only facilitator for inter-AE travel Arcanus gets a cut of any trades moving through it. The diverse societies have created a new barter system for inter-AE trade. Within Arcanus a system of credits exists.

I'm psyched if we get to explore this concept we came up with for your original character. I'm interested to explore how it is Arcanus is in such control... where are the alternate-Arcanus versions? What are the secrets behind this world. This sounds really fascinating to me.

Lazurite has been found on 3 AE's thus far. Lazurite is a hybrid metal formed from cooled lava-like flows. It's very dense, durable metal but remains light. These properties make it perfect for electronics, armor, cybrenetics, weapon systems almost everything. Thus Arcanus had made it it's bussiness to collect Lazurite. All though 3 AE's have discovered Lazurite only Arcanus has the means to utilize it. The smelting/ smithing process is very difficult and expensive. The most suprising aspect of Lazurite is it's ability to heal itself. Applying un-cooled Lazurite to a broken piece slowly bonds the to back together. After it is cooled back down the piece appears as if it was never broken. The metal seems to remember how it is intended to look.

This is neat. It provides a basis for a very high-tech society, but is also a controllable/important resource. I'd imagine that the secrets of Lazurite are a critical meta-plot issue... which again, I really like.

That being said- Our adventure focuses on the outer-most planet in the solar system. Pluto and it's moon Charon serve as a military base and training facility. Specifically Charon houses the base and pluto houses the means to support it. The icy atmosphere has made Lazurite-based weapons and armor all the more effective. It seems to get tougher as it gets colder. I flase atmosphere has been created to allow human life on the surface but it does not cover the entire moon. The Charon military complex is a vast assortment of training regiments and R&D. Each of the three large pyramids equally placed around Charon could house 10's of millions. Shopping, sleeping and public floors exits on the bottom while the more secret room exist higher. Most of the inhabitants are soldiers or contractors who work for the military. However civilians are allowed to visit and shop.

Pluto will house a up-teched version of Hudson City. Smugglers and bandits exist on the "dark side" of the planet. Since Charon and Pluto continually show the same face to one another, criminals can hide form the military by moving to the far side. I'm not sure if I'm going to make Hudson the smuggler hangout or the respectable city.

This sounds really fascinating... and full of possibilities. I love the over-crowded, high tech feel. I also like the fact that while the solar system seems densely populated, the outer universe is still somewhat a mystery... all their tech and efforts focused on much more promising/efficient/economically feasible exploration to A-E realities. This provides a great story dynamic.

The internet has progressed into complete virtual reality. For you Shadowrun players, everything is a UV host. Cybernetics are popular. They are easier to get on Earth since most things around Pluto are military controlled. But you can get it. AI's have been created but only in small non-military machines. A few Doctors have AI nurses but this is the rarity not the norm.

There are maybe 10 AI's in the solar system.

We discussed this off-line, and I like your ideas here. Provides an entirely different environment in which adventures can take place.

Our PC's will be a Red Star team. The best of the best (of course) There are three Red Star teams, one for each Charon complex. They are sent out to do everything. They protect foreign AE dignitaries, they kill foreign AE dignitaries. The Military acts as judge and jury through out the system. Not quite as bad as Judge Dredd but it could get there. The Red stars are the secret police. The are known about but not acknowledged. Sitting down in a bar and calling yourself a red star could have many reactions. They could laugh at your joke, uneasily leave, or plot to kill you whilst you are unarmed.

This is interesting. A Military Dictatorship. Didn't expect that... but it certainly shapes the game in a unique direction, since we are players in that military structure. Since you are making our characters for us, this should work well, to integrate us as a team from the beginning.

As for the feel I want in my game:

I want gun shots to hurt but not so much that we can't have a lively fight. Woo-jumping will not be punished or praised. I want to allow players to have fun, but not make them do crazy stuff just to get a plus 1. Well placed shots can kill. Head-shots and such. HtH sounds likely to be less effective. If you bring a knife to a gun fight you better be darn good with said knife. Not saying it can't be done. But if the guy you're fighting draws a knife to your uzi. He's either bluffing or gonna whip the crap out of you.

That's about all I've got for know. Any thoughts?

The Lazurite is a great excuse to have extremely effective personal body armor. Stuff that is almost impenetrable to standard small arms, but so expensive and controlled that only the top line folks can have it. This puts the PCs on that "just that much better than others" level, so that they no a couple guys with SMGs aren't too much a threat... but heavy weapons or special military ammunition (sounds like WP rounds would be extra effective vs. Lazurite) is a threat.

As for HtH... this really begs a few questions. Is this a supers game (albeit, low level)? Since supers do exist on alt-earths... are there things like mutant supers or whatever in this world? Are there gene-vats that create super-soldiers? Are certain cybernetics so powerful to make someone virtually metahuman? (Your original character had seriously high-tech stuff... so how common is that? Even above Red Star level?)

I can tell you that Storn and I both have loved and toyed with the idea of Cyber-Hero Supers... and so we wouldn't be against these elements in the game. Just wondering what you were thinking about. ('Cause an amped up mutant knife fighter just might be the kind of guy that could take on a heavily armed Red Star team... which is damn scary... but damn cool, too.)

Sounds like a fun concept.

I like the AE scheme - we had a fringeworthy game (Stargate) that had AEs also and that was tons of fun. How do you plan to control AE travel? Are there levels? Gates with unique coordinates? Phase sychronization? Whatever it is, that can become part of the unique character of the game.

I like the Lazurite and agree with RDU - the name works. "Memory" metal is a great concept.

Talking mechanics for a minute:

Assuming HTH is largely ineffective means that Armored characters can take close to 10d6 without much worry (4d6 for STR, 4d6 for Offensive Strike, and 2d6 for weapons or DCs). To me that means the PCs should be running around with close to 30 DEF (how about 6 PD, 12 rPD, and 12 PD from armor stabilization (think shock absorbers)).

Non-military grade weapons should have trouble punching through and coincidentially - the weapons in DC have some difficulty getting by this amount of armor.

Military Grade stuff can run from from 9-15 DC which makes it scarey but not horridly leathal (5d6 RKA is gonna put 5 BODY through on average, and 18 BODY on a maxed out roll. This should be the ultra powerful type stuff.).

Assuming HTH is largely ineffective means that Armored characters can take close to 10d6 without much worry (4d6 for STR, 4d6 for Offensive Strike, and 2d6 for weapons or DCs). To me that means the PCs should be running around with close to 30 DEF (how about 6 PD, 12 rPD, and 12 PD from armor stabilization (think shock absorbers)).

This depends on the level of HtH. 10d6 is super martial artist ability, and maybe THAT level of HtH is very effective... it is hitting as hard as a .50 caliber bullet! That's crazy stuff. But 4-6d6 HtH damage, which is what normals dish out... can be easily handled by 20 total PD. This is the kind of stuff that has to be figured out for the game. I'm not sure what level we are playing, though I'm thinking it is moving a bit towards supers.

The armor you built is certainly Supers level viability... which might be what is intended... but I'm not sure. Handguns are going to be spitballs against that stuff, which might be the intent.

Non-military grade weapons should have trouble punching through and coincidentially - the weapons in DC have some difficulty getting by this amount of armor.

Military Grade stuff can run from from 9-15 DC which makes it scarey but not horridly leathal (5d6 RKA is gonna put 5 BODY through on average, and 18 BODY on a maxed out roll. This should be the ultra powerful type stuff.).

This could be cool... as we are almost at Light Mecha (think Appleseed) type of combats, which is always fun. Norms with small arms get chopped into hamburger, but the real badguys are carrying .25mm long rod penetrator sabot rifle, .50 Cal bulpup machine guns and rail guns which can punch through a building.

hee... that could be lots of fun!

Something I thought of when making NPCs is not to worry too much about the point cost for the minor ones. Just give them what they need to move the story along. They're only minor NPCs anyway, so they won't be used extensively as written up (although they can also make good stock characters). Major NPCs, on the other hand, should have more extensive write-ups. But you can still use the templates found in FREd (Competent Normal, etc.) and play with the points to individualize the characters.

Thanks for the feedback. I will answer questions in the order that they were recieved.

I'm psyched if we get to explore this concept we came up with for your original character. I'm interested to explore how it is Arcanus is in such control... where are the alternate-Arcanus versions? What are the secrets behind this world. This sounds really fascinating to me.

I have plans to explore this, if the world survives the first campaign. I'm hoping to use Arcanus as a colorful backdrop at first. Delving into deeper here and there where the story gets driven. I don't want to jump into world concepts from the start. It wont feel as satisying to figure out secrets. But I do have some underlying answers in mind, so it's not completely BS.

This is interesting. A Military Dictatorship. Didn't expect that... but it certainly shapes the game in a unique direction, since we are players in that military structure. Since you are making our characters for us, this should work well, to integrate us as a team from the beginning.

Maybe I came on too strong strong with the Judge Dredd reference. Not so much a dictatorship as an extended jurisdiction. A huge, inter-planatary free market economy has need for a wider more diverse law enforcement. Rather than spend the resources to fund police and military, they mereged the two. Local garrisons control different areas but still have to answer to the government. Over-crowding in jails has led to more corporal, "street" type of penalties. Yeah you can take a guy in for stealing, but he'll get a better lesson if you beat his body around a bit. Quick, effective and little paperwork. The law can go too far and would have to answer for any gross negligence. i.e. maiming or killing-without cause. I'm thinking Lonestar (again from Shadowrun) but scarier.

I hope you guys don't feel too shoe-horned by starting you out as a team. Like I said before if the world survives further adventures will have more flexability.

The Lazurite is a great excuse to have extremely effective personal body armor. Stuff that is almost impenetrable to standard small arms' date=' but so expensive and controlled that only the top line folks can have it. This puts the PCs on that "just that much better than others" level, so that they no a couple guys with SMGs aren't too much a threat... but heavy weapons or special military ammunition (sounds like WP rounds would be extra effective vs. Lazurite) is a threat.[/quote']

I will definately be keeping Lazurite armor/weapons on the elite level of availability. The PC's will be able to get/use it but it's not the standard issue. It will something in their kit to use when you know the fit is gonna hit the shan. I hoping for a nice mix of combat/non-combat. So you may not want to wear your powersuit when talking to the little old lady. As for using WP rounds, to quote Chris Griffin "GET OUTTA MY HEAD"

As for HtH... this really begs a few questions. Is this a supers game (albeit' date=' low level)? Since supers do exist on alt-earths... are there things like mutant supers or whatever in this world? Are there gene-vats that create super-soldiers? Are certain cybernetics so powerful to make someone virtually metahuman? (Your original character had seriously high-tech stuff... so how common is that? Even above Red Star level?)[/quote']

I would like to consider it a supers world with a DC campagin being played in it. With all the connections to AE's some supers are bound to have ported in. So you can plan on interacting with a few. I would definately think you could go cybernetically into a metahuman. Gene-vats? If yes, not publicaly. There would be some home grown supers too. My character (Rebecca) had teleportation naturally and was added onto with 'ware. So the premise is already in place. However I'm putting her into a different teir of Government service. The Travellers. (Oldie but still works) Any government that relys on AE's, needs AE scouts which these are. But her level of 'ware is towards the top for this world. Maybe not in raw power but in grace/ quality of work.

I can tell you that Storn and I both have loved and toyed with the idea of Cyber-Hero Supers... and so we wouldn't be against these elements in the game. Just wondering what you were thinking about. ('Cause an amped up mutant knife fighter just might be the kind of guy that could take on a heavily armed Red Star team... which is damn scary... but damn cool, too.)

Hopefully this will work out good. The idea is still forming in my head (one of the reasons I started this thread) I have the large concepts in place but figuring the mechanical impact for those concepts is bugging me. Which brings us to Eosin.

I like the AE scheme - we had a fringeworthy game (Stargate) that had AEs also and that was tons of fun. How do you plan to control AE travel? Are there levels? Gates with unique coordinates? Phase sychronization? Whatever it is' date=' that can become part of the unique character of the game.[/quote']

As most things are in the game AE travel is government controlled (mostly). I was going to have AE travel orginally discovered in a simliar manner to wormholes in Farscape. They were there but you couldn't utilize them well. Since then means have been discovered/developed. The more common routes have permanent gates to allow non-AE-jumping vessels the ability to do it. (Can you say Toll-bridge? I can) These will be fairly limited in number. Most of the travel is done by ships equipped with the right technology. Most AE's have a general area that ships port into but no permanent gate. Travel is coordinated by the most stressed out person in the galaxy. The AE air traffic controller.

But with any good DC game the ability to port has been created by the criminal element. Hot-jumping or Blind-porting is a ship with the ability to cross the bounds but lacks the government authority to do so. So it's similar to jumping into Hyperspace without proper coordinates. Most end up as splat on a rock, but enough make it that they keep trying.

Military Grade stuff can run from from 9-15 DC which makes it scarey but not horridly leathal (5d6 RKA is gonna put 5 BODY through on average, and 18 BODY on a maxed out roll. This should be the ultra powerful type stuff.)

To me this seems right for a battle with tricked out to the gills combatants. Yes, when the military shows up, in full battle rattle, you need some serious stuff to take them down. But like any society the populous dosen't like seeing tanks and power armor walking around the suburbs. Thanks for the actual numbers this helps a lot.

This depends on the level of HtH. 10d6 is super martial artist ability, and maybe THAT level of HtH is very effective... it is hitting as hard as a .50 caliber bullet! That's crazy stuff. But 4-6d6 HtH damage, which is what normals dish out... can be easily handled by 20 total PD. This is the kind of stuff that has to be figured out for the game. I'm not sure what level we are playing, though I'm thinking it is moving a bit towards supers.

The armor you built is certainly Supers level viability... which might be what is intended... but I'm not sure. Handguns are going to be spitballs against that stuff, which might be the intent.

As I said before super skills wont be un-heard of just not hugely prevalent. I have no problems with a highly skilled MA doing some damage against Armor. (or an amped up Mutant Knife fighter. hmm must find picture) I guess the issue I'm trying to figure out is: When it's "game on" i.e. full battle rattle, loddy-doddy everybody, grab your ruck and head out the door time: the battle is heinous, more along what Eosin wrote. But I need to work to make sure the players are not walking around in full battle rattle all the time. So they have some fear of death. Red Stars are more like the CIA types. highly trained but need to do a lot of non-combat people things. But unlike the CIA they can put on the armor when needed, or more likely handle the situation without needing the armor. They only things I can think that would cuase a squad to roll out in full gear would be A: Quelling a rebbelion, B: stopping an invasion or C: invading somewhere else.

I plan to use Resource points for equipment so it will easy for the players to have a bunch of stuff. I'm hoping they will go more subetly for some things. But if they don't well such is the fun of RPG's.

This could be cool... as we are almost at Light Mecha (think Appleseed) type of combats, which is always fun. Norms with small arms get chopped into hamburger, but the real badguys are carrying .25mm long rod penetrator sabot rifle, .50 Cal bulpup machine guns and rail guns which can punch through a building.

Possilbe future game idea. but not what I had in mind for this one. There may be an episode like this but not the overall theme.

But you can still use the templates found in FREd (Competent Normal, etc.) and play with the points to individualize the characters.

This sounds perfect. Newb question of the day. What does FREd stand for and is it availble on-line somewhere?

Thanks a lot for all the feedback. I'll post some more ideas (internet, vehicles) some time tomorrow. I need some sleep.

Jo... er... greymankle...

Do you have 5th Edition... or even 5ER? I know you have Dark Champs and Hudson City over there... and you are getting Sidekick in the mail. Just wondering what version of the rules you have. The new, Revised version of 5th actually has character examples in it... where the original 5th Edition did not.

Later dude!

FREd = Fifth Revised Edition (or Fifth Edition/5E) Now that they revised this edition further it's known as 5ER (pronounced "fiver").

Thanks. Not availble online? Some systems have text files of basic rules you can download. Just asking.

Going back to Neil's comment about supers. I've got three characters mapped out already. I need sidekick to do the numbers. I went back and looked at them. So far each one of them has an ability or enough 'ware to be considered super. I guess this will be a low level super game. However the abilities are not neccesarily combat oriented powers. I don't want to up the level of leathality just becuase they could be considered super. I just hope this will alow them to exist "normally" more often becasue they will feel comfortable in their abilities. If each mission they need to grab power armor just to survive. it wont have the feel I'm looking for. Abilities-wise nothing is bigger than a Secret World (one of Neils campaigns) level power. It's just a character could have more than one power. In Secret Worlds ever power had to fit this description "It could almost be explained by science.." Since science is more prevalent in this world, I can't use the phrase but the level of power it created worked well.

Anyway here's my take on the internet:

Anyone with a computer/ headset and visor or network plug implant, can surf the net. Go to VR chat rooms and do e-mail. Basic stuff. They can even enter secure sites with keycode entery. However everything they do is "allowed." Nothing beyond what the site/building was intended. Without some moderate computer skill to create an avatar they wont be able to modify or hack inside the net. An avatar can be created by anyone. There is a large illegal bussiness of buying and selling avatars. Avatars can be stored in headware memory or in your laptop. Most top hackers use network jack implants since they can think faster than they can type. I'm debating using the Misc. catagory of Resource Points for avatars. They are a form of equipment albeit purely digital. Actually hacking within the net is just like the real world. The lockpicking skill represents password hacking. Movement powers get you to better locations. Combat is combat.

The problem is: I don't want you to be able to buy your way into being a good hacker. The avatar is simply software you need to know how to use it. I'm trying to figure out how to have a character's computer skill raise or lower the avatars ability. If we have a computer roll before the lockpicking roll it could get pretty irratating with all the extra rolls. Maybe one computer roll for every host you encounter? or one each time you log-on? Instead of rolling maybe I could just use the base skill as an indicator. -12 is average -14 you get a +1 bonus, -16 +2. Or a high computer skill gets you more RP to spend on avatars since you can handle the higher end stuff? Has anyone out there used this? What mechanic did you go with?

Also Dump-Shock. For those not familar with the term dump shock is when your wire gets cut or ripped out of you head. You exit the internet focribly. I can have it do XdX whatever stun but what should resist it? ED/PD/MD? armor obviously wouldn't help. How much would defense against dump shock cost as a defense power?

Anyway again thanks for the help. Once this gets going I'll post write-ups so you all can see the fruits of your labor.

Hey Grey!

I've been lurking the last couple of days because I wuz trying to nail down a tight L5R card deadline. Didn't have time to respond. But first off, sounds really cool. When you get back, you definitely need to watch a bit of Stand Alone Complex... set in the world of Masamune Shirow's Appleseed, but is more of a cyber-hack-police procedural along hte lines of CSI.

And Cowboy Beebop has a great network of "AE" in the backdrob of that show.

But anyway... sounds very cool.

Also Dump-Shock. For those not familar with the term dump shock is when your wire gets cut or ripped out of you head. You exit the internet focribly. I can have it do XdX whatever stun but what should resist it? ED/PD/MD? armor obviously wouldn't help. How much would defense against dump shock cost as a defense power?

Just off the top of my head:

1. 8d6 Ego attack... def: Mental Defense (maybe good equipment with better surge protection).

2. 4d6 Ego Drain (or INT/STUN/END Drain...however you want the particular flavor to be). Def: Power Defense.

3. REALLY nasty, 2d6 AVLD killing attak (Attack Vs. Limited Def)... this is to simulate the possiblity of people actually dying from such an event. Even if Power DEF or Mental DEF is in place (and you get to define what the def is with a AVLD), the Attack still can get past it. Unlike a NND (No Normal DEf), where 1 pt of that particular DEF will stop the entire amount of damage/effect.

4.. Maybe there is no defense.

Any chance you can post the characters when yo get them done? I'm really curious to see what I get to play, of course, but it will also give me (and Neil) a very good idea of what you are wrestling with and where you are going overall. No pressure though, if you want things to percolate for awhile, I totally understand. I'm just hyped to play this.

When you get back, you definitely need to watch a bit of Stand Alone Complex... set in the world of Masamune Shirow's Appleseed, but is more of a cyber-hack-police procedural along hte lines of CSI.

Haven't heard of Stand Alone Complex, but I did want to include some CSI type stuff. Especially since one character specidically wanted to know forensics and criminology. Is that something I could get Brigit to send out to me? I can watch DVD's out here. I'm guessing it's an anime of sorts so it should be available in A^2. Plus I have plenty of time for research.

And Cowboy Beebop has a great network of "AE" in the backdrob of that show.

I have heard of, and love Cowboy Beebop, their gates were the basis for the toll bridges. I wanted to add a non-gate travel for for more dramatic movement.

Just off the top of my head:

1. 8d6 Ego attack... def: Mental Defense (maybe good equipment with better surge protection).

2. 4d6 Ego Drain (or INT/STUN/END Drain...however you want the particular flavor to be). Def: Power Defense.

3. REALLY nasty, 2d6 AVLD killing attak (Attack Vs. Limited Def)... this is to simulate the possiblity of people actually dying from such an event. Even if Power DEF or Mental DEF is in place (and you get to define what the def is with a AVLD), the Attack still can get past it. Unlike a NND (No Normal DEf), where 1 pt of that particular DEF will stop the entire amount of damage/effect.

4.. Maybe there is no defense.

I think 3 sounds the best. I hesitate to make hackers buy power defense simply to avoid dump shock. Theroetically you shouldn't dump shock all that often as long as somebody is guarding your body. I'll have to look up AVLD a little more once I get sidekick. Does it basically mean you can only use say, 5 mental defense no matter how much you have on this attack? I am ok with dying from dump shock (on a bad roll not all the time) since attacks on the 'net can back feed into the user via electricity. I may have fuses built into the EQ to avoid such attacks but if the fuse blew the user would dump shock, which may be worse than the attack.

Any chance you can post the characters when yo get them done? I'm really curious to see what I get to play, of course, but it will also give me (and Neil) a very good idea of what you are wrestling with and where you are going overall. No pressure though, if you want things to percolate for awhile, I totally understand. I'm just hyped to play this.

Glad to hear your hyped, just need to hear from the other PC's

Well without sidekick I don't have stats for them yet. I am ok with posting the general descriptions but I only have 3 of the 6 (I invited Matt too since he's now local to you guys, haven't heard back) possible PCs. I am spreading skills around to mimimize cross-over. You are a team that was put together. They would make sure all bases are covered. So if I need to make you less good at something to make it another charcaters speciality don't lynch me. for instance Storn wanted a leader/spy. So I gave him both but if another character comes in wanting the spy niche solely I'll have to give the cool spy stuff to him and give Storn 2nd tier spy stuff or maybe a different type of spying. Like one stealth and the other disguise or surveilance. Well actually

Storn would have first dibs sinec he was first. I'm ok with jack of all trades characters I just don't want two masters of the same trade.

So I'll post the descrpitions of the initial Ideas but I reserve the right to change as required. You guy's need to promise not to get ticked, before I post though. but if your checking out your character and you don't like the jist I don't mind modifying. These are pregens just so I can handle the stats not so I can shoehorn you into skills or personalities.

Give me some time to type it up. Right now they are on notebook paper. I'm on the road for the next three days I should get sometihing up by Friday though.

-Peace

Stand Alone Complex is anime and it is available at Hollywood Video and it is 6-8 discs... it is a pretty substantial series and I just catch bits and pieces late night on Saturdays on the Cartoon Network.

There is lots of Cpunk/netrunning bits. Many of the police are networkedtogether and have "telepathy" for all practical purposes. The chief is riding in his car and is speaking to one the deputies who is 1/2 way cross town and neither of them move their mouths through the whole conversation. Sometimes, you get a POV of what the character is seeing and superimposed is "incoming call" on the retina. It is very cool stuff. It doesn't cater and it doesn't dumb stuff down. It is a show that you have to pay close attention.

AVLD works like this. Say the defense is Mental Def (it could be many other defense types too, including sfx... Mystic Ward for example). The target has a Mental DEF of 5. The AVLD attack has 2d6KA. The roll is 9. The defense works, but if the attack is in excess, the target takes damage, in this case 4 Body.

No Normal Defense works like this: The defense is stated as Mental Defense. The target has MDEF of 5. The attack is 3d6KA. Because the attack is going up against the ONE defense that works, the whole attack is nullified, regardless of what is rolled.

AVLD is a variant (and a more expensive Advantage) of NND.

But in your case, you can handwave it all and not worry about the points as it is an "environmental/ triggered damage". Your jack gets ripped out, you take 2d6 Body (or even 3d6 Body)... or 12d6 Ego Attack...whatever you think is appropriate.

Stand Alone Complex is anime and it is available at Hollywood Video and it is 6-8 discs... it is a pretty substantial series and I just catch bits and pieces late night on Saturdays on the Cartoon Network.

There is lots of Cpunk/netrunning bits. Many of the police are networkedtogether and have "telepathy" for all practical purposes. The chief is riding in his car and is speaking to one the deputies who is 1/2 way cross town and neither of them move their mouths through the whole conversation. Sometimes, you get a POV of what the character is seeing and superimposed is "incoming call" on the retina. It is very cool stuff. It doesn't cater and it doesn't dumb stuff down. It is a show that you have to pay close attention.

AVLD works like this. Say the defense is Mental Def (it could be many other defense types too, including sfx... Mystic Ward for example). The target has a Mental DEF of 5. The AVLD attack has 2d6KA. The roll is 9. The defense works, but if the attack is in excess, the target takes damage, in this case 4 Body.

No Normal Defense works like this: The defense is stated as Mental Defense. The target has MDEF of 5. The attack is 3d6KA. Because the attack is going up against the ONE defense that works, the whole attack is nullified, regardless of what is rolled.

AVLD is a variant (and a more expensive Advantage) of NND.

But in your case, you can handwave it all and not worry about the points as it is an "environmental/ triggered damage". Your jack gets ripped out, you take 2d6 Body (or even 3d6 Body)... or 12d6 Ego Attack...whatever you think is appropriate.

By the rules the AVLD ruling isn't quite true. AVLD doesn't do Body by the rules... but I've allowed it in the past. Technically, to do Body, you have AVLD at 1 and 1/2 advantage... plus the Does Body Advantage which, I think, is another +1. Very expensive.

Also... if your AVLD is a Killing Attack, then by the Rules the Mental Defense has to be bought "resistant" to defend against the KA... but this is normally such a rare/bizarre defense to buy, that I've just handwaived it for our games.

Just to clarify... what Storn is talking about is how we've handwaived/house ruled it for RDU. This is NOT official rules... but then only one character (I think) has every had such a power in 18 years of RDU gaming. It's not so much a house rule as I've just handwaived the complexity because it rarely comes up in the game.

If you were going to have an AVLD type attack be really common... you might want to read up on the official rules and make your own judgments on what works.

Actually Neil, you are right and wrong.

You can do Body with ALVD, but it is a more expensive ALVD advantage lvl.

Never mind, I misread what you said. You said the same exact thing as I did. But by the Rules, you can do Body... you just need to buy Does Body Advantage... so Vector RKA ALVD is "by the rules", it does have the add'l adv.

OK here's my first character Special Agent Nathan Ramsey.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

After being turned away by The Travellers, Nathan Ramsey joined the military. He wanted to see all the worlds. The Travellers only took those already super human, or cybernetically enhanced. Being a normal guy from Earth he wasn't high on their cut list. The military took all comers.

He was stationed on a remote AE gate to Farm World near Jupiter as a communications specialist. There were maybe 20 personel at the gate at any one time. Security was handled mostly by automated computer system. So, when some AE pirates attacked the resistance was minimal. The gate put up a good fight but the pirate hacker was able to get inside their securtiy system and shut it down. Luckily the pirates just wanted the station. They sent the survivors in a junk craft hurdling through space.

For 2 weeks they drifted. Unable to get comunication or navigation they were at the whim of the world. The crew began to submit to cabin fever. The fear of dying slowly from lack of oxygen was not appealing to most. Their Captain tried to make off with the space suit thinking he could fair better on his own. A mutiny broke out. The angry mob was close to killing and eating their own leader. Sargeant Ramsey stepped in. He was able to quell the rebellion through logic and words. He acheived peace for another few days.

Their ship's siginature was picked up by a passing patrol 2 days later. The ragged crew was picked up. The Captain relieved of command and the more active mutineers were punished. Once they were on-board they were told of the stations fate. The Pirates held it ransom for three days before detonating it and destroying the gate. There were no leads. The crew had forgotten most of the info. Their 2 weeks of drifitng ruined most minds. Though Ramsey had faired better than others even he had lost faces to time. However unlike the rest of the crew he had written things down early in their trip. For his presence of mind Ramsey was awarded his choice of assignments. He didn't even think for a moment. LRRP, Long Range Recon Patrols. He would travel after all. His first mission with his new team was acting on the intel he had gathered about the pirates. The military always gets there man, or in this case woman. Jenne Jacobson was arrested for cyber and space terrorism. She was found in an out post on Mars. Through her "de-brief" the military learned of the existance of BLADE. A new terrorist organization working towards anarchy in Arcanus. Ms. Jacobson is presumed in military custody to this day. Or dead.

Ramsey worked with his LRRP team for 8 years. Travelling around through AE's or diferent planets on this AE tracking people down. His team specialized in Urban enviornments, undercover work, survalance. During that time he showed courage, creativity, resolve, and above all that one factor that couldn't be faked with cybernetics: Leadership. When he got call from the Deputy Director saying a new Red Star team was forming he finally threw away the Traveller brochure he been hanging onto.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The cyberware the Red stars recieve amplifies natural talent. So for Ramsey this will be leadership and undercover type work. I don't have Sidekick yet so no numbers on the stats or powers. but heres what I want Special Agent Ramsey to have.

Cyberware: Headware memory, Bionic eye-camera with video capabilty, internal radar-type system , an internal radio, a commlink (mindlink) to his teammates along with the ability to read their GPS signature. Probably a smartlink type firing system for pistols. But his big thing is his body. Most of his flesh has been replaced by a mealable polymer. (space silly putty) So he can change his appearance through re-molding his features. Fiber optics have been inlaid in his skin to change skin tone. His hair has been completely replaced with fiberoptic cable. It can change length and color but always remains somewhat shiny. This color change can aid in stealth (but not a full-on cloaking device) and provide a moderate blending effect in combat if desired. I don't know if I'm going Combat luck with that or just some extra DCV's with that SFX. He dislikes wearing armor since his M.O. is more stealth and the armor can't change colors.

Skills: disguise (with his polymer), small arms, fairly good with pistols, KS: communications, PS: radio guy, KS: BLADE, some combat actions from DC prolly, I was looking at "evasive" to compensate for wearing little armor. see DC page 91

Thoughts? and more importantly Storn: Can you/ would you play this guy?

-Peace

Actually Neil, you are right and wrong.

You can do Body with ALVD, but it is a more expensive ALVD advantage lvl.

Never mind, I misread what you said. You said the same exact thing as I did. But by the Rules, you can do Body... you just need to buy Does Body Advantage... so Vector RKA ALVD is "by the rules", it does have the add'l adv.

How did I know it was Vector that had the only AVLD in RDU history?

Do I need to worry about points if it's an environmental attack? Like falling damge? Or are the points just figured out for balance issues?

-Peace

Thoughts? and more importantly Storn: Can you/ would you play this guy?

Oh...absolutely. Love the backstory. I hope I can live up to the high standard that you put up there. Good name, I like Nathan...its different in this day and age. Names are very important to me, they are the first inkling of the character. Somehow this character named Ichabod Crabgrass wouldn't have worked .

A very good friend of mine in NYC was LRRP in Viet Nam '67-'69 (pretty hairy two tours)...so it would be an honor to even playact in that tradition.

One question, does the Mindlink with my squaddies also show some of the terrain that is reasonable to know? Like if we had a tenement building floorplan scanned in and loaded up? Obviously, if a deep valley of Gandymede has never been mapped... no go. This is a classic cyberpunk/military punk trope. And I think the modern military is getting prety close to that. But I'm not sure how one does that... Neil?

Also, does LRRP have any training with vehicles? Starships? Do we crosstrain on that stuff, or is that the Navy's domain still.

I would imagine SMGs would be an important tool for Nathan when in full military regalia. He needs to be lightly equiped... but pistols don't have the range or the volume of fire that is needed on a modern battlefield... I would imagine... unless more power is coming in small packages in your day and age.

Really cool stuff!

Write up Neils!!! I can't wait to see!!!!

How did I know it was Vector that had the only AVLD in RDU history?

Do I need to worry about points if it's an environmental attack? Like falling damge? Or are the points just figured out for balance issues?

-Peace

No. Not in my opinion. If a girder falls on someone, or someone gets their jack ripped out... you just can assign dice on the fly. Is it painful, but not lethal? Normal attack. Is it lethal? Killing attack.

If it is a consistent environmental thing... like getting a jack ripped out, just note that it does 2d6 dmg somewhere... or what have you. Then it is always 2d6 and is consistent. Unless unusual circumstances (electro boy melts jack with his electricity, you figure might do a bit more damage).

One question, does the Mindlink with my squaddies also show some of the terrain that is reasonable to know? Like if we had a tenement building floorplan scanned in and loaded up? Obviously, if a deep valley of Gandymede has never been mapped... no go. This is a classic cyberpunk/military punk trope. And I think the modern military is getting prety close to that. But I'm not sure how one does that... Neil?

I've ruled that if a character has purchased High Range Radio Transmit/Receive (or whatever that specific Sense is called, don't have a book with me) then they can receive images on a HUD as well as sounds... so then they can see whatever can be beamed to them by C&C. (Serenity has this... and Gearhead had it... the Darkhawks have this.)

You can rule otherwise, but that has worked for me. This way you don't have to worry about all kinds of nuances in terms of points, just that with this ability, they can receive uplinked data if you (the GM) feels it would be appropriate for them to have it.

No. Not in my opinion. If a girder falls on someone, or someone gets their jack ripped out... you just can assign dice on the fly. Is it painful, but not lethal? Normal attack. Is it lethal? Killing attack.

If it is a consistent environmental thing... like getting a jack ripped out, just note that it does 2d6 dmg somewhere... or what have you. Then it is always 2d6 and is consistent. Unless unusual circumstances (electro boy melts jack with his electricity, you figure might do a bit more damage).

Yah... agree. Not sure what environmental factors you are considering, Joe... but that isn't points... that is just "stuff that happens" and you assign damage as appropriate. I don't know about Sidekick, but the big book has suggested damages for varioius environmental factors written up as examples.