Weapon Element: Hover Cycle

greymankle

Has anyone out there tried to make a martial arts based on hitting people with vehicles? I'm thinking you would need a two-wheeler for spins and things. A lot of move-throughs but I would like strikes too. Either HTH attacks from the back of the bike, or, (more what I want) useing the bike itself to attack. The character I'm thinking of this for would be a Shadowrun rigger-type. Phenomenal driver skills/vehicle control but can't move his body while driving. He's effectively tied to the bike. I thought it would be fun. Has anyone out there tried this?

-Peace

Re: Weapon Element: Hover Cycle

I seem to remember that in 4th Ed Fantasy Hero, or one of the two companions, that there was a form of martial arts designed for a mounted rider. It featured lance charges, ride by, etc. It may have made it into the most recent edition as well but I am at work and don't have that book with me right now.

That is the closest thing to a vehicular MA style that I remember seeing.

As sociotard (I can't believe I'm writing that seriously...) stated, the concept is easy to build and buy... the one unbalancing bit is the questions...

What STR do you use?

Are you using the Strength of the rider, and the bike use is just an SFX?

or

Are you using the STR of the motorcycle to add martial maneuvers... and suddenly you are getting a lot of extra dice of damage for free, because it comes with the equipment.

This gets especially wonky if you just buy 'Weapons Element: Motorcycle" and stack it on to your normal martial arts. So, for one point, you get tons of extra dice of damage if you are riding your motorcycle.

Neat idea... but has room for a TON of munchkin abuses. At minimum, I'd require (if I was GM) that the maneuvers be bought separate from any other martial arts, can't be combined with other martial arts... only when on a motorcycle, etc. So a ninja type who also fights on his motorcycle would need to sets of martial arts on the sheet. One set for his standard chop-socky... and the other set for his "chopper"-socky! :whistle:

In fact, you can find additional info on Bike Fu (as well as a neat Package Deal for it) in March's DH ;)

This shameless plug was brought to you by the letter B and the number 8 ;)

Oh sweet! Bike-fu seems just the ticket. Which issue number was March?

Sketchpad- How did you handle the balance issues brought up by RDU Neil?

I agree with buying seperate manuevers just for Bike-fu, what about requiring X amount speed to pull off a move? I see the full move req. for the Roundhouse wheel, how about the lancing?

I was also thinking of the classic cycle-slide into the group of thugs. AE trip? Sweep manuver?

One set for his standard chop-socky... and the other set for his "chopper"-socky!

Careful on the puns Neil. Don't make me throw dice. I know people. :D

-Peace

Oh sweet! Bike-fu seems just the ticket. Which issue number was March?

Sketchpad- How did you handle the balance issues brought up by RDU Neil?

I agree with buying seperate manuevers just for Bike-fu, what about requiring X amount speed to pull off a move? I see the full move req. for the Roundhouse wheel, how about the lancing?

I was also thinking of the classic cycle-slide into the group of thugs. AE trip? Sweep manuver?

I would require velocity where it's actually required. Hence why Lancing has v/5 as part of its damage ;) Many of the moves I'd say require using the bike as a weapon and using your own strength as the damage factor. You could use the bike's, but I agree with Neil for the potential abuse factor. If you'd like to use the bike's equipment for damage, then I'd suggest buying either DCs or a HtH Attack that has a focus :)

I would require velocity where it's actually required. Hence why Lancing has v/5 as part of its damage ;) Many of the moves I'd say require using the bike as a weapon and using your own strength as the damage factor. You could use the bike's' date=' but I agree with Neil for the potential abuse factor. If you'd like to use the bike's equipment for damage, then I'd suggest buying either DCs or a HtH Attack that has a focus :)[/quote']

Since these maneuvers would be only usable with/on a motorcycle... having them separate... having the "Need enough room to maneuver the cycle" as a built in limitation... having the "requires a combat driving roll" to make an attack

All of those as built in (zero point) limitations might be enough of a balance factor.

Also... don't discount a simple "Make a combat driving roll to skid into the guy without wrecking!" as we've used it for years. My "keep it simple" philosophy argues that MOST vehicle combat can be handled this way... but if you have someone who has trained in a special (unreal) skill of "chopper" socky, then the MA bit would work. Such a Chopper Socky master would kick the butt of "Just a good cycle rider" and that makes sense.

Hmm I'll probably just use a few martial manuevers. Just for some flavor and to get the player thinking in that vein. I certainly don't want a "guy-on-bike" vs. ninja fight to last more than one manuever. I want to keep a little realism. (just a little though)

Maybe some Skill bonuses in combat driving for "Vehicle attacks" I just want to put this guy a touch above a normal biker. Sounds like a plan though.

-Peace