Has anyone done a write up for the old DC character the Vigilante?

Grymour

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone has ever done a write up for Vigilante, I used to collect Vigilante comics in the 80's and always loved them. That was a least until DC did it's Crisis on Infinte Earth's thing. So if anyone has I would really love to see it.

Take care and be well,

Grym

Re: Has anyone done a write up for the old DC character the Vigilante?

which character was that?

I remember one I liked, iirc he was called "nemesis"

used a tranquilizer dart gun and an air"concussion" gun iirc, LOTS of disguises.

died when he shot down the helicopter he was INSIDE to stop a villain, iirc.

:(

Ah yes, the 1980s Vigilante, New York District Attorney Adrian Chase. Frustrated by the inability of the legal system to properly punish the obviously guilty, Adrian took inspiration from the New Teen Titans and became a costumed crimefighter. However, unlike the Titans, Chase was willing to kill his targets.

At least at the start of his career, 80s Vigilante is a trained normal (I think he was ex-Special Forces or something, to explain the combat skills) with various semi-real world gadgets. Including an actual gun that he uses for its intended purpose.

Note that DA Chase's PS: District Attorney will depend on whether you're going by how people reacted to him within the comic book (good rep, so theoretically a high roll) or his on-screen actions as dictated by a writer who hadn't really done the research (a Familiarity at best.) See old "The Law is A Ass" columns for details.

(Current killer vigilante Manhunter continues the fine DC tradition of prosecutors who have zero legal skills.)

Why you gotta go and bring something like logic into your posts man? What are you' date=' a hater or something? :nya:[/quote']

If the writer is going to make such a big deal about the legal system not working, I get to call him on his failure to show it not working in a realistic manner. :angel:

• 2 weeks later...

I had a much bigger problem with him having a mystical secret origin. If he'd just been a guy who'd been pushed too far and donned a costume, I think the character would've been more effective (remember, at the time, the only other character like him was the Punisher, and he was still a rampaging loon). As it was, having some sort of shamanistic mumbo-jumbo involved just cheapened him.

I had a much bigger problem with him having a mystical secret origin. If he'd just been a guy who'd been pushed too far and donned a costume' date=' I think the character would've been more effective (remember, at the time, the only other character like him was the Punisher, and he was still a rampaging loon). As it was, having some sort of shamanistic mumbo-jumbo involved just cheapened him.[/quote']

i had more of a problem with him being a lame, punisher-esque-rip-off remake of the original (ala HOJ, who also sux!)

the original western-themed hero also rode around on his motorcycle, but instead of using state-of-the-art techno-babble-crap, he handled things wild-west-style--with six-guns a-blazing, usin' his dukes to dish out two-fisted cowboy justice....