SCUBA Tank Info?

Edsel

I'm betting there are SCUBA people out there who can tell me about how much a 1-hour's worth of oxygen tanks would weigh.

I am trying to come up with an approximate weight of the SCUBA Equipment listed on page 288 of the Dark Champions book.

If you know the answer to that one, how much would the rebreather outfit (options, same page) weigh?

Re: SCUBA Tank Info?

I would put a whole scba (add the U if you like) at about 15-20 lbs. There is some fluctiuation in size and rigging that likely makes ONE exact weight impossible.

This is, of course, for my old fire gear not the underwater version but they are essentially the same.

--Just checked: Tanks have a weight variance of 7 lbs to 18 lbs for the big rugged hour long tank. Most totally rigged out SCBA sets came in at 16-18 lbls.

The internet search I did yielded a large range of weights. I could not find any that told how long a single air tank should last but I found lots of single tank weights. They ranged from 25 lb. for the lightest to 45 lb. for the heaviest, and this was for the tank alone. This all seemed awfully heavy to me so unless I get a better source I'll probably go with the weights that Eosin has suggested.

well underwater tanks are heavy as heck. The difference between Firemans tank and a divers tank is the diver's has to handle additional atmospheres of pressure as you go deeper. So the walls, I assume, would be thicker than a firemans tank. Also the added pressure limits the breathing time. 45lbs tank at 10' underwater vs a 45 tank at 100' underwater. You are going to get more air time at 10 feet.

I don't know what you will be using them for but they make little tanks for surface divers. So if your game is dealing with low-depth, swim a sunken tunnel type stuff you could get away with a very light tank. 10 lbs maybe for an hour. But you have to hold it to your mouth.

I have no experience with the fireman set-up but my whole family dives. I think that a firemans tank is pure oxygen, similar to people who smoked too much. While a diver's tank is compressed air. nitrogen and oxygen mixed. So you'll get a variance between the two that way. Not sure though Eosin?

It depends on what you need the weights for. Divers use additional weights to gain "nuetral bouyancy". Basically regardless of the weight the goal is to make the weight nuetralize the bouyancy in your lungs/body and air tanks so that you neither sink nor float. This gives the diver the most control over his/her dive. It is also one of the reasons it is so easy for a diver to lose site of wether she or he is ascending or descending. If a diver is properly weighted then the weight of the tanks doesn't matter while in the water. Now if you want to leave the water while continueing to carry the tanks around....thats another matter.