... Doing the things a particle can...

I have a character! (and there was much rejoycing... yeah)

Well, he's blind, but has some spiffy goggles that "see" for him. They are bought as Spatial Awareness, Range, Discriminatory, OIF (actually OAF, but for some reason nobody's gonna try and take them away from him in combat). Here's how they work (SFX):

The goggles emit a particle that gives off some kind of "wave" or "pulse" when it contacts matter, and begins to degrade, continuing to give off this wave/pulse thing until it is destroyed. The goggles pick up this wave/pulse, and depending on the "frequency/intensity" of it, they map out all the obsticles in the path of the particle. Sending out millions of this particles in a constant stream effectively provides this character with a 3-D display of the direction he's facing and even objects behind other objects (the N-Ray effect of Spatial Awareness). So far so good.

So, what the hell are these particles called? What is the wave/pulse thing? What else can technology like this be used for? The character I'm running is a techy inventor physist type guy and might try to expand upon what his goggles do, or create other types of sensors for the team's vehicles or base.

Thanks!

Guest Black Lotus

Re: ... Doing the things a particle can...

I know there's an ability in HERO called Tunneling, but here's MY idea for a name for your Power.

In science, tunneling particles do just that -- tunnel. As in a tunneling microscope. Also, there is a particle called a "boson". So, you could call it the "Tunneling Boson Video Display Unit" -- nicknamed "Tunnel Vision".

Interesting. A quick Google search turned up some interesting info about the Higgs boson particle (as well as a wealth of informatin about particle physics in general I might find useful for this character, like figuring out what Science Skills he should have). I suppose for now a Higgs boson particle is suitible rubber science anchored in the hard science of reality. I'll see if my GM will buy it anyway. :D

Well, since the Higgs boson is the (as yet only theoretical) particle that is supposed to be responsible for matter having mass in the first place, having a stream of Higgs bosons being responsible for the goggles being able to detect matter seems perfectly appropriate to me. ;)

As for what else you might use them for...

Well, perhaps the goggles could be tuned to emit a stream of anti-Higgs particles. The naturally-occuring Higgs and the stream of anti-Higgs would annihilate each other. This would have the effect of turning an ordinary material object into an object with no mass, and there's all kinds of things you could do with that. (And while it would then be easy to lift the object, no matter how big it was, this is not the same as antigravity). For example, you could theoretically make the object travel at any arbitrarily large velocity, even faster than light, because with no mass it wouldn't be bound by Einstein's laws. (At least, in comic book / "rubber" science it wouldn't be.)

Guest Black Lotus

I figured Dr. Anomaly would chime in here eventually, and I'm glad he did. I have some friends online who are physicists, and I knew boson particles had something to do with sort of what you were talking about, Dust Raven... glad he could clear that up for you.

Well' date=' perhaps the goggles could be tuned to emit a stream of anti-Higgs particles. The naturally-occuring Higgs and the stream of anti-Higgs would annihilate each other. This would have the effect of turning an ordinary material object into an object with no mass, and there's all kinds of things you could do with that. (And while it would then be easy to lift the object, no matter how big it was, this is [i']not[/i] the same as antigravity). For example, you could theoretically make the object travel at any arbitrarily large velocity, even faster than light, because with no mass it wouldn't be bound by Einstein's laws. (At least, in comic book / "rubber" science it wouldn't be.)

That's cool, I hadn't thought of that. The character is a brick actually... wonder if I could explain his STR away as being a result of emitting anit-Higgs bosons naturally... and his goggles are actually a filter of some kind allowing him to see.

FTL stuff sounds cool though. I don't think we'll be involving any space travel in the game though, so that might not be a direction we want to go.

That's cool, I hadn't thought of that. The character is a brick actually... wonder if I could explain his STR away as being a result of emitting anit-Higgs bosons naturally... and his goggles are actually a filter of some kind allowing him to see.

FTL stuff sounds cool though. I don't think we'll be involving any space travel in the game though, so that might not be a direction we want to go.

BTW, Higgs-Boson control is part of the explanation for my namesake character's powers.

HM

i'm gonna have to be different, and just for varity suggest "muons" because of their high energy nature, they could pennetrate through matter like lead, which would explain how you can see through other matter.

also, because they are highly charged particles they degrade and ionize in electromagnetic fields, which would be a pretty neat effect (ie, EM fields would show up as "dark" spots to your googles)

also they're a member of the lepton group, which is the coolest sub-atomic particle group in ever

Guest Black Lotus

If you caused the atoms in an object to have no mass (via comic book science boson-bombardment) wouldn't they be desolid?

Theoretically speaking, yes. We're dealing with comic-book causality here, though, where normal physics do not apply.

If you caused the atoms in an object to have no mass (via comic book science boson-bombardment) wouldn't they be desolid?

I don't see why. Theoretically, you can still have mass yet be desolid. Two objects having no mass could still have the forces that hold their massless atoms together not allow an overlap of each other.

Of course, in a world of rubber science, I can definately see this character using this technology to create a sort of insubstantability/zero-mass field that allowed him to talk through walls the same way he can see through them.