12"  RUN02"  SWIM05"  LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 27
Cost   Power END
15   Greater Strength: +15 STR  1
6   Greater Mass: +3 BODY 
6   Heavy: Knockback Resistance -3"  0
5   More Impressive: +5 PRE 
12   Long Legs: Running +6" (12" total)  1
3   Tougher: +3 ED 
4   Reach: Stretching 1", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (7 Active Points); Always Direct (-1/4), No Noncombat Stretching (-1/4), No Velocity Damage (-1/4)  0
15   Bite: HKA 1d6 (2d6 w/STR)  1
12   Claw: HKA 1d6 (2d6 w/STR) (15 Active Points); Reduced Penetration (-1/4)  1
1   Charge: Running 3" (6 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (8x END; -3 1/2)  8
6   Sharp Eyed: +3 PER with Sight Group  0
Powers Cost: 85
Val   Disadvantages
10   Physical Limitation: Near-Human Intelligence Frequently, Slightly Impairing 
10   Physical Limitation: Poor Hearing, suffers -2 to all Hearing PER Rolls Frequently, Slightly Impairing 
10   Physical Limitation: Limited Manipulation Frequently, Slightly Impairing 
5   Physical Limitation: Large, up to twice human size (4m, or 2"; -2 DCV, +2 to PER Rolls to perceive) Infrequently, Slightly Impairing 
20   Psychological Limitation: Domesticated Very Common, Strong 
Disadvantage Points: 55

Base Points: 75Experience Required: 0Total Experience Available: 0Experience Unspent: 0Total Character Cost: 112

Height: 2.00 m Hair: Brown
Weight: 100.00 kg Eyes: Brown
Appearance: Large, bownish-yellow or black birds similar to a diamtrya or other archeo-avian. Or maybe a large chicken.Personality: Clever and dangerous, the Wazzan is prized as a mount, certainly, but more as companion. They form quick bonds with their riders, and learn battle commands with ease. They can be violently protective of their masters. Quote:"Waka? Wha-Waka?" Background: The Common Imperial Wazzan is... well... common. Lacking horses (mostly cuz I suck at drawing them) Caleots domesticated the large predatory birds that lived near them. Powers/Tactics: Kick. Peck. Repeat.Campaign Use: You ride them, eat them, maybe fight them after they've been twisted and augmented by evil mages...

Re: ...and the Bird you rode in on...

Very nice, sort of like a Chocobo (from Final Fantasy), but eatable. I like the campaign use suggestion of some being twisted and augmented. I think for that reason I will definitely keep a copy of this handy. Good vs. Evil Wazzan has a certain appeal.

EDIT: With near human intelligence, any skills?

Two questions:

1. What do they taste like, and how is the meat usually prepared and cooked?

2. How do people, especially those who ride these birds, feel about eating them? Is it considered an unpleasant thing to do? Is it the sort of situation where you will eat a stranger's bird but not your own mount? Or is it a ritual that you do eat your mount when it dies as a sign of respect?

Two questions:

1. What do they taste like, and how is the meat usually prepared and cooked?

Taste? Chicken, of course!

As for cooking, anything that's been ridden around for a while is probably best stewed...

cheers, Mark

EDIT: With near human intelligence' date=' any skills?[/quote']

I was wondering about that... I considered giving them skills, but couldn't decide on what to give them. Perhaps Mimicry... spouting clues to stuff they've seen like some kinda giant parrot.

I don't think you can eat the Wazzan you ride... it'd be like devouring a family member. Wild ones still roam the northern plains, running around avoiding the Grey Pouncers, jumping over the traps of the Pit Builder and the Greater Pit Builder, or in the southern areas, locked in competition with Dire Voop and the Bug Eater (an invasive species of warm-blooded reptile from Tharq).

The wild ones you could eat. Either the ones you track and shoot yourself or the leftovers from the fireball-flinging Launchbeast.

And yes, they taste like giant chicken. Lemon Herb Wazzan is offered at most restaurants in Chalasa, and a 6 piece order of Wazzan Nuglets weighs about 35 pounds.

Of course... Wazzan are dinosaurs...

"Because the dinosaur tissues didn’t look exactly like pictures published of medullary bone in living birds like chicken and quail, Schweitzer’s team compared the tissue from the femur of the T. rex to that taken from leg bones of more primitive ratites, or flightless birds, such as ostriches and emus. These birds share more features with dinosaurs than other present-day birds. They selected an ostrich and an emu in different stages of their laying cycles, when medullary bone is present."

But that's just my way of seeing the evidence...