Multiform vs OHID

Rebar

Well, you could try whichever method works out cheaper...

My way of determining which to use is thus:

If the character is essenitally the same but with some (or even a lot of) enhancements, then buy him w/ OHID. Multiform would be reserved for characters who change drastically enough that they *can't* really be bought just with OHID. A vampire turning into a bat is not just an enhanced vampire - he loses some abilities while gaining others. A werewolf will likely lose his Science skills when he changes.

Multiform vs. OIHID

I find that OIHID is generally used just to get extra points, as it takes almost no time to change, and barely limits you. I actually made a character change from OIHID to multiform due to Character Concept difficulties. He is a human who is cursed to be able to turn into a demon. As OIHID, his character had quite silly stats when he was "human" and only gained his actual powers when he changed. The only difficulty is convincing your player not to spend too much XP in his multiform since s/he gets 5 points for every one.

John Spencer

The only time I require Multiform is if there are skills and personality differences between the two characters. If all that happens is that powers are gained I go with OIHID.

OIHID characters:

Captain Marvel (DC version, gains powers but no personality change)

Colossus (turns into stronger, metal version of self)

Firestorm (gains powers and an AI)

Ironman (dons powered-armor)

Multiform characters:

Captain Marvel (Marvel version, switches position with Jones. Different personality, powers, skills, etc.)

Etrigan (Different personalities and powers)

Hulk (Banner is a brain, Hulk is a near-mindless brute)

Thor (Original. Blake had different skills, personality and knowledges. They were two individuals merged by Odin.)

I am currently working on a powered-armor character which uses Multiform though. The character will have 4 different suits of armor to choose from for various missions much like the older concept of Ironman (battle armor, stealth armor, space armor, sea armor). I will be giving the Multiform power itself an OIHID limitation to represent that the armor cannot be removed though.

Originally posted by Monolith

The only time I require Multiform is if there are skills and personality differences between the two characters. If all that happens is that powers are gained I go with OIHID.

I agree with Monolith here. If the MAN is essencially the same and just gains powers, it's OIHID. The only one I'm on the fence with is Firestorm. If I'm not mistaken, isn't Firestorm the merging of two different people? That one really could go either way.

Originally posted by Chaosliege

IThe only one I'm on the fence with is Firestorm. If I'm not mistaken, isn't Firestorm the merging of two different people? That one really could go either way.

That is what I give the AI for. The Artificial Intelligence represents the personality and skills of the Professor. The character buys the AI with the OIHID limitation to represent that it only has access to that when in the Firestorm form. I like to make things as simple as possible. :)

I will be giving the Multiform power itself an OIHID limitation to represent that the armor cannot be removed though. [/b]

This is actually something that I do for my various powered armor characters. The focus limitation just isn't fitting for a Armored char. unless you are looking for points...;)

Originally posted by Bullseye

I tend to think that if there's no change in Disads, OIHID makes more sense. Multiform should be avoided unless it's necessary (personal bias, since it is a highly abusable power).

Personally I feel that OIHID is far more abusable. With Multiform you get 350 points to make a character. With OIHID you get up to 437 points to make the same character. Those extra 87 points can lead to a lot more abuse in the long run.

OIHID characters:

Captain Marvel (DC version, gains powers but no personality change)

Colossus (turns into stronger, metal version of self)

Firestorm (gains powers and an AI)

Ironman (dons powered-armor)

Multiform characters:

Captain Marvel (Marvel version, switches position with Jones. Different personality, powers, skills, etc.)

Etrigan (Different personalities and powers)

Hulk (Banner is a brain, Hulk is a near-mindless brute)

Thor (Original. Blake had different skills, personality and knowledges. They were two individuals merged by Odin.)

I am currently working on a powered-armor character which uses Multiform though. The character will have 4 different suits of armor to choose from for various missions much like the older concept of Ironman (battle armor, stealth armor, space armor, sea armor). I will be giving the Multiform power itself an OIHID limitation to represent that the armor cannot be removed though.

Just a stylistic question, but why OISHID and not OIF with the Armor? Is this to simulate that you have to go back to the lab to change armor? I'm just picking your brain here.

Originally posted by MisterVimes

Just a stylistic question, but why OISHID and not OIF with the Armor? Is this to simulate that you have to go back to the lab to change armor? I'm just picking your brain here.

I went with OIHID because I do not want the armor to be able to be taken off when the character is wearing it. If felt that if I went with OIF whichever suit the character is wearing would be able to be taken off out of combat, and that is not the effect I wanted for this particular character. I wanted something which could not be removed.

I went with OIHID because I do not want the armor to be able to be taken off when the character is wearing it. If felt that if I went with OIF whichever suit the character is wearing would be able to be taken off out of combat, and that is not the effect I wanted for this particular character. I wanted something which could not be removed.

Gotcha. And I assume that since you have the multiform, if something did happen to one of the suits that you would want to simulate the other suits still being available...

I personally see this as more of a multiple vehicle thing. Build the guy, then build the various armors as different vehicles. I've tried this with one of my PA guys, but I have yet to master the technique.

Originally posted by Chaosliege

I personally see this as more of a multiple vehicle thing. Build the guy, then build the various armors as different vehicles. I've tried this with one of my PA guys, but I have yet to master the technique.

I tried it with a vehicle a couple of times too, but I just do not care for the vehicle rules. The suits can be too hard to damage, and when damage does get through it hits the occupant much harder; and then you have all those other movement and breakable issues involved.

The character seems to be working out as a Multiform though. I already have his basic form, his battle-armor form, and his stealth armor forms completed. I'm just going to work on his sea armor and space armor and I will call him completed.

Multiform adds a lot of versatility to the character without having to worry about him being too powerful all the time. In the past characters had one suit of armor that could do everything and that led to some situations where the character was too powerful for a specific mission. Now the character can get caught flat-footed in his Stealth Armor and have to fight his way out with inferior weapons instead of having the big guns all the time. As an evil GM I like that idea. :)_

• 3 weeks later...

There's one other time where a Multiform is probably more appropriate than OIHID -- when the skillset is radically different. This is one way to handle "chipping" skills in the cyberpunk genre, for example.

Of course, part of the reason for that is that I'm a total geek when it comes to not allowing anyone (PC or NPC) to take disadvantages on "rolling" skills (skills that involve a roll), excepting the Darn Good Reason standard.