once again i need help!!

Shadow Dancer

Some of you may remember me from the temporary boards

I posted a couple o fthings, one of them being a call for help building a "Dr. Strange" type character for one of my players ...

The Player, not being satisfied with the Spell caster options i laid out for him with your wnderful help, has come up with an even "better" concept for a vigilante type of character...

This one fits even less into the rules than the mage..

If i give a concept can some of you help me out???

I don't have hero designer and the book work is making my head hurt..

The basic concept is a character whose powers are fueled by his "absorbing" the strong emotions of Hate,Anger, and rage.

He's got a few powers "normally" but the main ones are in a multipower that is fueled by this absorption, and ONLY work AFTER he's absorbed ......

Where i'm having the trouble is defining his absorption, since there's nobody created yet that makes emotion based attacks. Thus, there'd be nothing to actually absorb. I tried tying an absorb to an end reserve which starts at 0 and fills with the absorb points... and the multipower pulls end from the reserve.. at 1 end per active point used ..

but i don't know if this will work.. It's either that or i was thinking of an "AID" variant that only works in combat, with a special effect that its powered off the strong emotions generated in combat..

please .. any help would be greatly appreciated!!

My first thought would be to go with your END Reserve idea, and buy a Recovery for it with the Limitation, "Only in presence of violent emotions". The size of the Lim would depend on how often that would happen, but given what kind of environment the average superhero works in, I wouldn't allow a larger Lim than -1/2.

If the concept needs more refinement, come on back and we'll try again.:)

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

My first thought would be to go with your END Reserve idea, and buy a Recovery for it with the Limitation, "Only in presence of violent emotions". The size of the Lim would depend on how often that would happen, but given what kind of environment the average superhero works in, I wouldn't allow a larger Lim than -1/2.

If the concept needs more refinement, come on back and we'll try again.:)

Yeah, What was I thinking! Go with the END reserve

I understand your head ache.

Heres my take on it:

Special sense: Detect hostility 10Pts

360 degrees 5pts

And

2d6 Aid To Power framework and powers with in(+1/2)

AutoFire 5(+1/2) Autofire based off Per roll (-1/2)

+48 to Max(24) 54points

When the Pc encounters negative emotions you may ask for a perception roll for every 2 points it is made by, thats 2d6 to the pcs pool, to a max of 10d6 (possibly 60 active points)

Hostility can be considered any negative disad(Casual killer,belligerent,hatred of whatever(if its active) or a hunted(again, if its active))

Re: I understand your head ache.

Originally posted by Patriot

Heres my take on it:

360 degrees 5pts

And

+48 to Max(24) 54points

When the Pc encounters negative emotions you may ask for a perception roll for every 2 points it is made by, thats 2d6 to the pcs pool, to a max of 10d6 (possibly 60 active points)

That's really cool!

Re: once again i need help!!

Originally posted by Shadow Dancer

The basic concept is a character whose powers are fueled by his "absorbing" the strong emotions of Hate,Anger, and rage.

He's got a few powers "normally" but the main ones are in a multipower that is fueled by this absorption, and ONLY work AFTER he's absorbed ......

I don't seem to be in sync with others, but I'd just give it a -1/4 (or at best -1/2) limitation "only works when in presence of hate/anger/rage" (it's pretty common given a super-hero world so I wouldn't go further than 1/4 myself), and it works when that attribute is present. Someone mentioned a Detect, and I'd agree if the character's conception is he's aware of it even if it's just unexpressed, then link the power to the detect I suppose. But mostly I'd go with a simple lim. If the character "build up" the absorption, you could go with a delayed power, have it gradually build up by having limitations on portions of it according to their delay.

Definitely an AID called "anger absorption"

I'd do it kind of like this:

2d6 Aid to whatever when in the presense of anger/anger-like emotion. +2d6 more Aid when in the presense of someone under the effects of enraged or berserk. +2d6 more Aid when in the presense of someone under the effects of berserk.

So that's 2d6 near someone angry, 4d6 near someone Enraged and 6d6 near someone Berserk.

Adjust dice amounts to preference, of course.

If there are one/few powers that get boosted, I'd buy it as more points of those powers with lims (-1/4 near someone angry, -1/2 near someone enraged, etc).

Remember, don't get "caught up" in mechanics names compared to special effects names. An energy blast can be thrown rocks and slippery aura could be missile deflection, extra DCV, or just a force field (that makes the brunt of an attack "slip off target"). Desolid doesn't have to be "intangibility" but built properly can just mean you are 2d and can't be hit from the side or are made of super pliable rubber and can squeeze through cracks.

Originally posted by Agent X

I think it's an Aid alright. I believe you will have to come up with a house rule ranking emotional states - maybe a formula based on circumstances. You could use Circumstantial Presence Attacks to determine the value of the heightened emotional state. Remember to modify for Psych Lims.

X,

I'm fairly new to 5th edition and brand new as a GM,

can you explain the "circumstantial presence attacks"????

Re: Re: once again i need help!!

Originally posted by zornwil

I don't seem to be in sync with others, but I'd just give it a -1/4 (or at best -1/2) limitation "only works when in presence of hate/anger/rage" (it's pretty common given a super-hero world so I wouldn't go further than 1/4 myself), and it works when that attribute is present. Someone mentioned a Detect, and I'd agree if the character's conception is he's aware of it even if it's just unexpressed, then link the power to the detect I suppose. But mostly I'd go with a simple lim. If the character "build up" the absorption, you could go with a delayed power, have it gradually build up by having limitations on portions of it according to their delay.

Well, we've already built a detect, my problem with absorbption is that there isn't an "attack" to absorb, so basically he's getting free points...

I really like the idea of a END reserve that builds up as he absorbs the emotions.

The End reserve starts out at 0, is filled with his absorb/aid, and doesn't regenerate. it can only be filled by the absorb, up to a certain limit... I tied his MP to the end reserve, at a 1 end per active point used level

For those of you thinking of tying an aid to the detect, how would that work?? If he makes his PER roll on the detect, then based on how many points he beats the roll he gets that much aid, up to the max? so if his PER roll is 12- and he rolls say a 8, that would be a 4d6 aid, right??? and if he fails his PER roll then he doesn't get to aid....

Now it's my understanding that once a PER roll is successful that "target" doesn't require further PER rolls to keep track of unless something moves it out of LOS.. (ie hides, goes invis, leaves the area...) how would the aid work then, he's still "locked on to the target" does he get the same aid as the first time he succeeded or should I reduce it to a minimum?? say 2d6??

"Ultra"

oh, just one more question, .. what the heck is an "ULTRA" slot in a MP and what is its cost?? I know and understand a fixed slot, and a flexible slot but FrEd doesn't mention and "ULTRA" slot that I can find.....

Ultra slot = Fixed slot

- Ernie

Re: I understand your head ache.

Originally posted by Patriot

Heres my take on it:

360 degrees 5pts

And

+48 to Max(24) 54points

Hostility can be considered any negative disad(Casual killer,belligerent,hatred of whatever(if its active) or a hunted(again, if its active))

OK.. First of all, I think this is the way you want to do this. You can change it so the Aid goes to the END RES instead, still getting the same effect, pretty much. But a corection on the interpretation of Autofire Aid. You get to roll an extra time for every 2 you make the roll by, they are not cumulative. You only get the highest roll +1 for every "shot". This is the way it is described for absorption, witch is also an adjustment power. It doesn't show the advantage availabe for Aid, but I'd guess it works the same(FREd p88).

Ex:

If you have 2d6 Aid with Autofire3(+1/4) and you make the role by 4 you get to roll 2d6 3 times and take the highest roll. Then add 3.

If you ave 2d6 Aid with Autofire5(+1/2) and you make your roll by 8 you get to roll 5 times and take the highest. Then add 5.

NOTE: With autofire Aid as with any autofire, it's still limeted to how much you make the given roll by. So if you only make the roll by 2, you only get 1 extra roll.

NOTE 2: I was just reading the rules for autofire, and you may want to forget using that part, it could get very expensive.

If you're using an END reserve, would you need to worry about Aid?

Depends on whether the energy he gathers disappears after he has left the vicinty of the negative emotion.

If yes, use an Aid to the framework, no END reserve.

If no, use an END reserve, with a limitation on the recovery, Only In The Presence Of Neg. Emotion (-1/4 or -1/2, depending on your campaign).

oberon

Originally posted by oberon

If you're using an END reserve, would you need to worry about Aid?

Depends on whether the energy he gathers disappears after he has left the vicinty of the negative emotion.

If yes, use an Aid to the framework, no END reserve.

If no, use an END reserve, with a limitation on the recovery, Only In The Presence Of Neg. Emotion (-1/4 or -1/2, depending on your campaign).

oberon

actually thats the point .. he can't use the MP without the aid/absorb... it fades per normal aid rules, but there's no rec, for the end reserve, as he uses it .. its gone, until/unless he absorbs/aids more...

As I read the mp, the active point reserve is there, all the time... and that doesn't fit the concept, which is why i tied it to an end reserve... the end cost of the MP is x10, or 1 end per 1 activepoint used in the mp slot...

I'm trying to figure out how to tie the aid to the detect, i hadn't figured on using autofire, .. i originally built this as an absorb, (area effect, nonselective target, only against hostile emotions,(anger,rage,hate)) with a custom lim(char takes 1 stun for every 5 points absorbed) linked the End reserve to the absorb with a custom limit only up to amount absorbed to a max xx points...

The only reason i'm looking for options is i have a problem with the absorb not being used against an actual attack.... :)

and the absorb only works off body rolled on the die rather than the total of the die roll...

*edited *

Ahh, my misunderstanding.

If the points didn't fade, you could just have an END reserve which only recharges in the presence of neg. em.

If the points fade, then, yes an adjustment power is probably the way to go.

This also means he actively has to 'feed' on the emotions around him, rather than passively recharging.

Is there a reason to tie the adjustment power to the detect? I would have them seperate. He identifies an angry person, then starts to leech them.

Question. Does the emotion drain affect the target?

You could make it an EGO transfer to the reserve, Only If Target Is Experiencing Negative Emotion (-?)

I think Transfer would be a better route than Absorption, since Absorption requires you be the target of an attack.

If there is no effect on the target, then Aid.

Of course, this is IMHO only :)

oberon

actually oberon, no, it doesn't drain anything, I thought of that as well, ....

I've sent a link of this thread to the player, and we'll work out something. I want to thank everyone for their help.. Its given me a lot of ideas on how to do things for other characters..

Since i'm brand new to gm'ing and my players are all new to the genre and the rules, I'm not doing a "campaign" .. just some throw together battles and one shot adventures in between our other game sessions...

But that doesn't mean I won't in the future expand it.. just thar for now, Champions/hero is the filler.. a good old slugfest when noone else wants to run anything..

but hey I'm always looking to play! so if there's a PBEM campaign I'd be happy to join in!!!!

Re: once again i need help!!

Some of you may remember me from the temporary boards

I posted a couple o fthings, one of them being a call for help building a "Dr. Strange" type character for one of my players ...

The Player, not being satisfied with the Spell caster options i laid out for him with your wnderful help, has come up with an even "better" concept for a vigilante type of character...

This one fits even less into the rules than the mage..

If i give a concept can some of you help me out???

I don't have hero designer and the book work is making my head hurt..

Where i'm having the trouble is defining his absorption, since there's nobody created yet that makes emotion based attacks. Thus, there'd be nothing to actually absorb. I tried tying an absorb to an end reserve which starts at 0 and fills with the absorb points... and the multipower pulls end from the reserve.. at 1 end per active point used ..

but i don't know if this will work.. It's either that or i was thinking of an "AID" variant that only works in combat, with a special effect that its powered off the strong emotions generated in combat..

please .. any help would be greatly appreciated!!

THIS IS EXACTLY MY CHARACTER CALLED Angst!

Re: Re: once again i need help!!

Originally posted by Rage

THIS IS EXACTLY MY CHARACTER CALLED Angst!

LOL.. umm ok, so how'd ya build him?? I don't wanna copy... just looking for ideas!! (grin)

The background for the character is a bit cliche, he's an"Agent" (think bond and you hit the head on the nose) that was captured by an "enemy" organization, they tortured him and filled him with experimental drugs, truth serums and such, and then tortured his wife to death in front of him...

the strain, the adrenaline and the chemicals all combined to make him the anger driven madman, err hero he is today!!!