'So wait, how do I hold this thing?'

The T

It could very well be just me, but I honestly have a little bit of difficulty finding some place comfortable to sit and read the Hero System book. It doesn't balance well on my lap, and all other surfaces are uneven or have something that just gets to me. So basically, I pose this question:

How do you all go about reading it, when you're not GMing or using it in a game?

Also, hi everyone, I'm new. Just bought the book. Yay.

Re: 'So wait, how do I hold this thing?'

I, uh, sat down and read it cover to cover over two days. I don't know how I was really holding it per se ... but I just read it.

Also, if you can stare at computer screens for a long time the PDF format might be easier (and is searchable!).

Also' date=' if you can stare at computer screens for a long time the PDF format might be easier (and is searchable!).[/quote']

Already bought it, don't have another 40 bucks to shell. =)

I read it the way I read all books, curled up in the pillows and blankets on my bed. I'm what one might refer to as a "nester" I build a nest of beding stuff, curl up and get comfortable, and read until I fall alseep...

or until someone ungraciously drags me out =P

I have one of those pull-out keyboards at my desk at home, and when I'm sitting at my computer desk, I'll prop the book on the half-pulled-out shelf, push the keyboard back, and prop it against the desk, so it's leaning at a 45 degree angle. That works.

Also, I've been reading it in bed. Legs propped up, leaving back against my legs, with my head propped up works, too, though I'll learn pretty quickly not to do that for TOO long, lest I get a bruise on my tummy.

Guest Black Lotus

Here's how I do it:

1.) Locate desk or table.

2.) Locate a comfortable chair.

3.) Place chair underneath desk or table.

4.) Place book on desk or table.

5.) Seat yourself in the chair.

6.) Begin reading.

With the addition of a local TV, a coaster, a bowl of tasty snacks, and the like, you'll be in for a fun time. I find it much easier to read "sensitive" books (those I try to keep in as good condition as possible) when seated in a chair at a table or desk.

I'm usually either holding it - spine resting on my left forearm, left fingers curled over the top to keep the sides from dropping too much - or laying in bed, resting its bottom edge on my chest or stomach (depending on what combination of glasses and contacts I'm wearing/missing). Never seemed uncomfortable to me. *shrug*

I found a way that works for me now, actually. My chair has a habit of leaning far back, so I've learned to sit in it as such. I sit like that, then place a pillow on my lap, with the book on top of the pillow. This even outs the weight and also allows the book to be closer so it's easier to read.

Yay me.

I found a way that works for me now, actually. My chair has a habit of leaning far back, so I've learned to sit in it as such. I sit like that, then place a pillow on my lap, with the book on top of the pillow. This even outs the weight and also allows the book to be closer so it's easier to read.

Yay me.

In the bathroom...on the Throne. (Honestly...)

And...sitting in other places too. But I do my best "thinking" in the Bathroom. :D

Nadrakas...

In the bathroom...on the Throne. (Honestly...)

And...sitting in other places too. But I do my best "thinking" in the Bathroom. :D

Nadrakas...

I tried that, but it keeps slipping.

Yay me.

Rad! Another 'letter' person on the Board!

You can pretty much read Onyxclaw's entry for how I do most of my reading. When I'm not in bed, I tend to sit cross-legged in chairs, and the 5er rests on my left leg, nicely.

When I'm in the bathtub, I just make my house midget hold the book for me. He turns the pages when I grunt twice.

Huh...never really thought about it before. I don't have any more trouble reading it than I do any other book. Either hold book in one hand, turn pages with the other, or lay book on table, open and read. I guess I'm a freak in more than one way...

I assume a lotus position and meditate. After getting > 18" off the floor, I float the book about 2' up and at about the same distance as my knees. I like to tilt it back about 45 degrees. The glow from my nimbus provides good, diffuse lighting.

Of course, that's only if I want to do some old fashioned reading, and not just absorb the info directly via a quick mental scan.

Sometimes the old ways are just more satisfying.

Since I just got the Book yesterday (Saturday). I started by reading it on the bed. Got unconfortable. Went to the THRONE! Went back to the bed. Finally went to the coach and read it there while the wife watched Big Brother.

I just went through and read the Major parts. Still got to learn it all. Which i probable will start asking lots of questions either today or tomarrow.

Ask away. We've got lots of friendly folks here that are willing to help. And for some of us, this is our major outlet for roleplaying. :(

I have to say I've never really had much issue with finding a way to hold the book, since I came from earlier editions. Reading the new material simply amounted to skimming over the book. Usually when I crack it open to check on some detail, I'm sitting at my computer, and I'm only looking up a thing or two at a time. Thinking about it now, though, I can see how it might get uncomfortable when you're going over it for the first time, and you're going slowly and carefully....