What Other Pulp Hero Books Would You Like To See?

Steve Long

Re: What Other Pulp Hero Books Would You Like To See?

Thrilling Places sounds like a great place to include the Ahnenerbe (Steve correctly named it). It was a group the Nazis put together to gather information and relics to "prove" their superiority and gain occult power.

Mark

It might also be fun to make up a subgroup of the Ahnenerbe to use as 'the real occultist Nazis', or for whatever other reason. There were so many little groups within the Ahenerbe it's hard to tell what some of them were up to -- you had everything from Sonderkommando Hexen, Special Action Group Witchcraft, a group of a dozen scholars who did nothing but research German witch trials, to the Lanzritters, Knights of the Lance, an SS order of chivalry for the most efficient and productive death camp commanders. They received anatomically correct statues of human skeletons, worked in gold and abasing themselves, as a sign of membership. Supposedly Eisenhower ordered they be all killed without trial when he learned what they were.

I also seem to recall an expedition to Tibet to prove the Tibetans were Aryans (and contact the King of the World in Agharti?). They did some trips to South America too, under Edmund Kiss, to research the Weltislehre of Horbiger, as well as to find some sort of city of the lost Aryan space-gods in the jungle.

Really, I could go on for way too long. Just find copies of Peter Levenda's Unholy Alliance for all the Occult Nazi paranoia you can take. And Trevor Ravenscroft's Spear of Destiny is even better for sheer barking lunacy -- Hollow Earth kingdoms and Tibetan black magicians help Hitler seize the Spear of Destiny! Can your valiant pulp heroes stop the madness?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see a book--or perhaps a folder--of replica train tickets' date=' hotel menus, business cards, advertisements, packaging, matchbooks, sheet music, betting slips, driver's licenses, bills of sale, manifests--all that kind of detrius and marginalia. You can find just a little on the web. You can find some in collections. But it would be nice to have enough excellent reproductions in one place at one time to get a feel for what everyday life looked like.[/quote']Maybe something like this could be done after a Hudson City 1935 sourcebook has come out, using the Lovecraft Society's resources as a starting point but with Hudson City and its establishments in place of real-world places and institutions. It could be a PDF product (cheap or free), or even done as an appendix within HC1935 itself.

I also seem to recall an expedition to Tibet to prove the Tibetans were Aryans (and contact the King of the World in Agharti?).

There was a show on the History Channel a week or two ago about that expedition. Or was it something a friend had taped earlier and we finally got around to watching it a week or two ago? Whichever, History Channel tends to rerun programs a lot, especially WWII programs, so it may pop up again soon.

With regard to nazi expeditions to Tibet. People might be interested in having a look at the book "Himmler's Crusade" by Christopher Hale (Bantam Press, 2001) which deals specifically with the German expedition to Tibet in 1938. but mentions (as do some works on the Nazis and the Occult) some of the earlier expeditions. Of course many of the Occult Histories of the Nazis mention these expeditions as well. What were they REALLY looking for ? Shamballa, perhaps ? Enterprising referees can doubtless come up with many scenarios to take their intrepid heros to Tibet in the 1930's !

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone discussed a book or PDF on pulp villainous organizations, much like Viper or DEMON? OOoooooOOOO.... maybe a source book UPDATE on how these two organizations might be used in the pulps... with equipment, characters, etc.

Another idea... what about minion rules? Combat maneuvers that groups of minions can do to perform certain cinematic effects? Something like the cinematic actions that the Hercules or Xena minions would perform... coordinated attacks, intimidation, etc...

Just an idea...

Jak

Another idea... what about minion rules? Combat maneuvers that groups of minions can do to perform certain cinematic effects? Something like the cinematic actions that the Hercules or Xena minions would perform... coordinated attacks, intimidation, etc...

OhWEEoh

WHOOAoh

OhWEEoh

WHOOAoh

For instance:

Example Minion Abilities

PUSH: With a successful Teamwork roll, or the spending of X Hero Points, a group of minions can force a hero to go all defensive on his next action. This could entail the minions grabbing a long pipe and pinning the character against a wall, surrounding him close to a cliff, or even all grabbing him at once.

STYMIE: A group of minions can force a Stunned-like condition out of a hero if they perform simultaneous attacks that all succeed, and the GM spends X Hero Points. The hero will not be able to perform an action on his next phase, but may recover if he so chooses.

How 'bout that? :hush:

Jak

Great idea, but I assume this means the villains get HAPs (or rather, VAPs) too. If so, how many?

JG

I would give HAPs based on groups of villains, but not more than any one player character. In other words, all the minions, the leutenants(sp?), and the main villain each get HAPs as if they were a separate player character. Once those points are spent, they can't gain any more, unless (for instance) the minions have special abilities that allow them to steal HAPs. And that's another story alltogether... :eg:

Jak

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, jumping on the bandwagon a little late but hey…

But what about Justice Inc? Yes, it’s a cheese way to re-visit Pulp Hero’s original title from way back, but this would be a book about the “Pulp age of Champions.†This would be the book of the Shadow, G-Men, the Green Hornet (yeah, I know that really came later but it fits the genre), Super Hero teams from the 1920-1930's ect...

Oh, and...

Put me down for Pulp Amok, Hudson City 1935, Pulp Sci-Fi and The Prehistoric Bestiary—and anything else for that matter…:drink:

But what about Justice Inc? Yes, it’s a cheese way to re-visit Pulp Hero’s original title from way back, but this would be a book about the “Pulp age of Champions.†This would be the book of the Shadow, G-Men, the Green Hornet (yeah, I know that really came later but it fits the genre), Super Hero teams from the 1920-1930's ect... :

I second that motion. :thumbup:

ME

:cool:

But what about Justice Inc? Yes, it’s a cheese way to re-visit Pulp Hero’s original title from way back, but this would be a book about the “Pulp age of Champions.†This would be the book of the Shadow, G-Men, the Green Hornet (yeah, I know that really came later but it fits the genre), Super Hero teams from the 1920-1930's ect...

THIRDED

How about a book on Aviation Heros. This adventure genre was very popular in the interwar years. This would include characters like the realistic pilots(Tailspin Tommy,Buz Sawyer,Terry and the Pirates) to the tech based(Blackhawk and Airboy).to the fantastic(Sky Captain). You have the age of the Zeppelins, the development of carrier warfare, and the reign of the barnstormers.

Just my two small copper disks worth

Oh, and...

Put me down for Pulp Amok, Hudson City 1935, Pulp Sci-Fi and The Prehistoric Bestiary—and anything else for that matter…:drink:

FOURTHED ;)