Pulp Hero, after looking it over

buzz

So, I'm gleefully browsing through my GenCon swag, one item of which is Pulp Hero.

Amazing. There's a ridiculous amount of information in this book. The history timeline is just insane! I saw so many adventure idea tidbits just flipping the pages.

It's nice to see the art take a step up from recent releases as well, even if much of it is reused. Still, there are some good new pieces; who did the pics of most of Randall's Heroes? "M. Calderas"? I didn't see them credited in the front of the book. The old pulp covers are also a nice touch.

And the maps! Keith has outdone himself.

Incredible job, DOJ! :thumbup:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Pulp Hero, after looking it over

In particular what does Ch 3 cover?

"The World of the Pulp Era". Basically an 82-page gazetteer of earth during the period. Most of the mind-numbingly-awesome maps can be found here, as well as lots of adventure seeds. Also travel info and lots of nifty sidebars.

"The World of the Pulp Era". Basically an 82-page gazetteer of earth during the period. Most of the mind-numbingly-awesome maps can be found here' date=' as well as lots of adventure seeds. Also travel info and lots of nifty sidebars.[/quote']

Thanks! Nothing particularily spacey, mabe it was just a background reference. The way it was phrased, I thought PH might have a generic space section...

The good news? My agent succeeded in scoring for me both a hardcover copy of Pulp Hero and a secret decoder ring.:thumbup:

The bad news? I can't make the drive to pick it up until this weekend!!!:angst:

Bah!...sleep is for the weak!...:)

Nope. The first two times I stopped by the booth' date=' they hadn't come in, the third time they were already sold out.[/quote']

you didnt miss anything, it looked like the binding was crap, I took a pass on it and waited till more soft covers arrived...

as for the book... un-freaking-believable!!!! I wish I had some time to talk with Steve, but he was obviously irritated about the hard cover fiasco

Irritated or not (and there were definitely times when I was a little irked ;)), I apologize if I seemed unapproachable. I almost always enjoy talking with fans, esp. about a favorite subject like PH, so I'm sorry we didn't have the chance to chat. Heck, it would probably have improved my outlook cosiderably. Hopefully there'll be time to talk next con. ;)

What exactly happened with the Hard Covers? Were they shipped incorrectly or misboxed?

My understanding is that several companies got stiffed by the same printer. The Serenity RPG only got a few copies, Dave got none of his copies of TAS:FoW for either Hero or M&M, and DOJ only receive a half the copies of Pulp Hero. The printer really just dropped the ball.

I picked it up Thursday around 1. (Joe mentioned in the morning game that DoJ only had a few boxes, so if we wanted a copy to hurry). Had the chance to start looking at it, and its quite impressive. Mostly I have been going through the GM section in the back, it has some great ideas, and I can picture every paragraph being used in a game. Once I finish that, I will go back to the beginning and start to read through the earlier chapters of the book. The artwork I have seen so far has been nice. I like using Pulp Covers for the chapter breaks.

A buddy of mine picked me up a copy. So far I've only had a few hours of reading time, but so far it's brilliant. It's huge too, it's not as big as some of the books, but it's still bigger than my phone book. Steve Long, typing fingers of Steel.

My favorite bit so far is the Hang On talent. Absolutly brilliant idea.

Hm' date=' I wonder how much they'd charge to reprint my waistline...[/quote']

You probably couldn't afford it. And what if there was a delay!!! ;)

Seriously, it's a fantastic book. I started paging through it last night and ended up being so engrossed that I got to bed at almost 3 AM. I like my hardcover; the slight wrinkle in the endpaper gives it a decidedly "pulpy" feel. If it weren't so damn huge, I'd have said, "Print it in a digest size with a lurid cover!"

And if you think all those other snafus with printers were bad, Shadowrun 4th edition ended up being incredibly under-supplied, with huge lines every day. The contributors didn't even get to take any copies home!

"Print it in a digest size with a lurid cover!"

I actually looked into doing a few copies that way (in part because I'd like to have a PH that matches the size of the 1935 World Almanac I often carry to games). The problem is there's no way I, Andy, or Allen know of to "auto-shrink" all the pages and layout elements in PH to fit a, say, 6"x9" format -- we'd have to lay the book all out again using a template that size, and that just plain wouldn't be any fun.

If we ever figure it out, I'll have to get some printed up on newsprint for the true Pulp feel. ;)