Pulp Hero, after looking it over

buzz

Re: Pulp Hero, after looking it over

I actually looked into doing a few copies that way (in part because I'd like to have a PH that matches the size of the 1935 World Almanac I often carry to games). The problem is there's no way I, Andy, or Allen know of to "auto-shrink" all the pages and layout elements in PH to fit a, say, 6"x9" format -- we'd have to lay the book all out again using a template that size, and that just plain wouldn't be any fun.

If we ever figure it out, I'll have to get some printed up on newsprint for the true Pulp feel. ;)

just a thought, how about making it generic, using just the timeline, the personalities and the atlas? I would bet a ton of non Hero gamers would want it just for that info! (and I have to admit, that was the reason I purchased Pulp Hero, I already have an ongoing Adventure! game)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This book basically out-GURPS GURPS supplements. I can see it being of massive utility to any pulp RPG (e.g., Adventure!), not to mention Call of Cthulhu. If this thing doesn't win any awards, I'll be surprised.

This book basically out-GURPS GURPS supplements. I can see it being of massive utility to any pulp RPG (e.g.' date=' [i']Adventure![/i]), not to mention Call of Cthulhu. If this thing doesn't win any awards, I'll be surprised.

I just wish DOJ would publish sourcebooks this big! Could you imagine how cool and complete Champions Universe would be if it were this size? :)

just a thought' date=' how about making it generic, using just the timeline, the personalities and the atlas? I would bet a ton of non Hero gamers would want it just for that info! (and I have to admit, that was the reason I purchased Pulp Hero, I already have an ongoing Adventure! game)[/quote']

Actually, it's better to include the rules. That way, if they like what they see, they'll buy more stuff. :)

It's mine! Mine, I tell you!

Huge thanks for going above and beyond the call of duty to David Salisbury, who not only wrote one of the best RPGs around (Dark Continent) and runs a very fine games store but also brought back a Secret Decoder Ring and hardback copy of Pulp HERO - signed, no less - for me from GenCon. Top bloke, and I hope he recovers from the jetlag soon.

Pulp HERO was very nearly responsible for me failing to get home this afternoon, as I was so engrossed in it that I almost missed my stop. Mr Long, this book is quite probably the finest pulp RPG I've ever seen and could well be the best HERO supplement as well. It's a delight, utterly engaging and staggeringly informative. It's not the best bound hardback I've ever seen, but I expect it to hold up pretty well: it's certainly going to get a lot of use.

Maybe I can finally retire my copy of Justice, Inc.

Glad to hear the book made it to you, BJB. ;) It was great to meet David; he was a real trooper, coming back to the booth several times a day to check to see if more PH hardcovers were in. I definitely appreciate him trading me a copy of his fine game Dark Continent for the PH hardcover -- it was the one I saved out for myself, and thus the only one I traded. (But now Dark Continent is mine, mine I tell you, all mine! Mwah hah hah hah hah!!!)

Thanx for the kind words! I'm really proud of PH, so it's great to hear the appreciative comments from you and other fans.

I just wish DOJ would publish sourcebooks this big! Could you imagine how cool and complete Champions Universe would be if it were this size? :)

Not having yet read a copy of Pulp HERO, I can't say! But that would sure make a good substantial size for either Champs Worldwide or Champs Universe Update.

So Steve,

What's gthe score with hardcover Pulp Hero then? I wouldn't want to delay buying a softcover just because I was waiting for something that wouldn't happen.

I can afford to wait as I will not be playing any pulp games any time soon - but I do want to have the book on my shelves (or in boxes waiting to move house).

Will you be doing a hardcover run? Would you take pre-orders to determine whether there was a market (and accept a softcover with miscellaneous stuff to make up any price differential).

Doc

We've got about another dozen hardcovers incoming. I doubt they'll remain in the Online Store for long.

If further demand exists, we'll look into getting more printed. I'm not sure how long that will take; it depends in part on the printer's schedule.

At this point we don't have any plans to take pre-orders. Depending on perceived demand and how we want to proceed going forward, we might see if we can start something like that for "premium" items during non-convention season, but the safest bet for now is to assume we won't. If we set up a pre-order program, we'll announce it loud and clear. ;)

We've got about another dozen hardcovers incoming. I doubt they'll remain in the Online Store for long.

If further demand exists, we'll look into getting more printed. I'm not sure how long that will take; it depends in part on the printer's schedule.

At this point we don't have any plans to take pre-orders. Depending on perceived demand and how we want to proceed going forward, we might see if we can start something like that for "premium" items during non-convention season, but the safest bet for now is to assume we won't. If we set up a pre-order program, we'll announce it loud and clear. ;)

I guess that means those of us that want a hardcover - if we don't get one of the 12 coming to the online store - will have to make our desires loud and clear too. :)

"Adventure" ! Don't even START on "Adventure" ! Talk about a great idea that was "produced and abandoned" by its creators ! Were there ever any supplements for it ? I tried playing a couple of games but a few things went wrong; one of them being that our referee didn't really have much of a "feel" for "Pulp" and turned it into more of an "Investigation" game !

P S I haven't got a copy yet (I envy you lucky guys and gals !)' date=' but if i'm REAL lucky the rep from my gaming shop MIGHT have picked me one up at "Gencon". If i'm out of luck the shop has already been asked to order a copy for me ASAP ![/quote']

The old "Should I buy from the Internet or should I support my local shop?" flares up frequently on RPG.net, and this is a good example of why local shops get my support where possible. Had it not been for the fact that I have a good relationship with the staff at Fanboy3 I wouldn't have a copy of Pulp yet.

Mind you, it also makes it more obvious that I've been buying a bit too much stuff when I walk in and am greeted with news about the latest HERO delivery...

"Adventure" ! Don't even START on "Adventure" ! Talk about a great idea that was "produced and abandoned" by its creators ! Were there ever any supplements for it ? I tried playing a couple of games but a few things went wrong; one of them being that our referee didn't really have much of a "feel" for "Pulp" and turned it into more of an "Investigation" game !

it didnt need any supplements, its one of the most "Complete" all-in-one games I own (Hero falls into that category as well), everything else a person would need can be pulled off of the internet out of history books or your own imagination...

it didnt need any supplements' date=' its one of the most "Complete" all-in-one games I own (Hero falls into that category as well), everything else a person would need can be pulled off of the internet out of history books or your own imagination[/quote']

Every game needs supplements. People's imaginations are finite; especially when they're dealing with a genre outside of the scope of their life/gaming experiences [which pulp falls into, IMO]. People need to be inspired and entertained. That's why we buy books, comics, dvds, computer games, and everything else.

I have my book on order and the PDF version in the laptop.

Wow! The section on genres and genre mixing is really helpful in campaign and character designing. The product captures the flavor of the detective and horror aspect while the globe trotting adventure is addressed with maps, country names and global geopolitical background. The timeline is my favorite part, as I have been putting together a timeline for our own campaign, which is set earlier than this one, so I now have 40 years worth of adventuring ready.

I think the rest of my group fears that I am giving up Champions for Pulp, but there is room for both.