Pulp Hero, after looking it over

buzz

Re: Pulp Hero, after looking it over

"Adventure" ! Don't even START on "Adventure" ! Talk about a great idea that was "produced and abandoned" by its creators ! Were there ever any supplements for it ? I tried playing a couple of games but a few things went wrong; one of them being that our referee didn't really have much of a "feel" for "Pulp" and turned it into more of an "Investigation" game !

If memory serves, the writers said up front that there would be no supplments to Adventure!

That said, it was a nice book, and the Aeon society seems like a great opposing group to the players. I didn't like the Trinity metaplot that basically said "this group will go insane and destroy the world." Some of the skills and talents were neat though and fit with the feel of the game. Never had the chance to play it in the Storyteller rules, but will likely use some ideas for a Pulp Hero game.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If memory serves, the writers said up front that there would be no supplments to Adventure!

That said, it was a nice book, and the Aeon society seems like a great opposing group to the players. I didn't like the Trinity metaplot that basically said "this group will go insane and destroy the world." Some of the skills and talents were neat though and fit with the feel of the game. Never had the chance to play it in the Storyteller rules, but will likely use some ideas for a Pulp Hero game.

yup, one shot book to finish out the Trinity/Abberent trillogy.

as for the metaplot, I have yet to even bother with it, it is not nessesary to run the game

Yeah, the group of college friends I game with plays a lot of Storyteller, but they are not really interested in Pulp. The Hero group is interested in pulp (after a well run game by Rod at GenCon) so the metaplot is moot. :) Its probably the only thing in the book that left a sour taste in my mouth. Part of pulp is the ideal that you are helping to shape the world into a better place, oh yea, btw, your archetype goes insane in Aberrent and helps destroy the planet in Aeon/Trinity.

I am continueing to go through Pulp Hero at a slow but steady pace. My friend pointed out the Jazz Muscian, 'Sold soul to the devil down by the crossroads.' Great stuff.

I am continueing to go through Pulp Hero at a slow but steady pace. My friend pointed out the Jazz Muscian' date=' 'Sold soul to the devil down by the crossroads.' Great stuff.[/quote']

That would be the Blues Musician Robert Johnson

"Adventure" ! Don't even START on "Adventure" ! Talk about a great idea that was "produced and abandoned" by its creators ! Were there ever any supplements for it ? I tried playing a couple of games but a few things went wrong; one of them being that our referee didn't really have much of a "feel" for "Pulp" and turned it into more of an "Investigation" game !

"Investigation" isn't inappropriate for Pulp. (e.g. Thin Man)

But I think the White Wolf crew deliberately published Adventure! knowing it wasn't going to be supported just because they wanted to complete the "trilogy." And good for them. This was also when the company was deeply into metaplot. At a certain point the sourcebooks just became really fancy and expensive graphic novel sets for someone else's campaign. ;)

There is something to be said for a product line that doesn't get published anymore... it means the publishers don't have a chance of ruining it.

JG

But I think the White Wolf crew deliberately published Adventure! knowing it wasn't going to be supported just because they wanted to complete the "trilogy." And good for them. This was also when the company was deeply into metaplot. At a certain point the sourcebooks just became really fancy and expensive graphic novel sets for someone else's campaign. ;)

There is something to be said for a product line that doesn't get published anymore... it means the publishers don't have a chance of ruining it.

JG

Well, to an extent I liked the idea that there was a 'direction' for everything. What I dislike was the specific direction they were taking. That, and the fact that it seemed like _nothing_ your characters could ever do would derail things from their course. If the characters can't influence anything, after a while I start to get a 'why bother?' attitude.

I liked Adventure! (played a couple times). I thought it was goofy of WW to trot out Abberant and Adventure! revised with d20 stats, though. Now, please excuse me as I must lurk the online store 'till the Hardcover PulpHero is listed....:eg:

Well' date=' to an extent I liked the idea that there was a 'direction' for everything. What I dislike was the specific direction they were taking. That, and the fact that it seemed like _nothing_ your characters could ever do would derail things from their course. If the characters can't influence anything, after a while I start to get a 'why bother?' attitude.[/quote']

Yeah, exactly.

And I just made Pulp Hero my first purchase at the Online Store. I also bought Predators, because I can't seem to find that anywhere. I do expect Teen Champions to show up at the stores, so I'll go ahead and wait for that.

JG

Ironically' date=' even though it's 16 pages longer than FH, PH is physically a little bit thinner than FH because it was done by a different printer. But there's definitely a lot o' words in there. Glad you're enjoying it![/quote']

I don't understand... isn't FH short for Fantasy Hero? Fantasy Hero is 416 pages long... if Pulp Hero is 16 more than that, it's 432 pages long! Yet, your own website lists it as 256 pages long: http://www.herogames.com/Products/PH.jsp Is your site info wrong or does FH refer to some other 240 page book?

"Adventure" ! Don't even START on "Adventure" ! Talk about a great idea that was "produced and abandoned" by its creators ! Were there ever any supplements for it ? !

There were four Modules that I know of, but I don't know of any other supplements. Hell, I didn't know about Adventure till I found it (and one module) in the clearance bin one day-- used.

But I got, by God! Looks good, sitting there next to Daredevils and that odd [angst-filled trapped in society ultra moody vampire club-hopping company]'s Pulp book (which is very pretty, but the name elludes me at the moment. Damndest thing.....

If only I had a hardcover Pulp Hero to crown this collection....!

There were four Modules that I know of, but I don't know of any other supplements. Hell, I didn't know about Adventure till I found it (and one module) in the clearance bin one day-- used.

But I got, by God! Looks good, sitting there next to Daredevils and that odd [angst-filled trapped in society ultra moody vampire club-hopping company]'s Pulp book (which is very pretty, but the name elludes me at the moment. Damndest thing.....

Um... you mean Adventure!, the book we've been talking about? The one that had no supplementary products (or "modules")?

That or I'm not getting the joke. :)

That's just a before-publication estimate that Ben will get around to correcting pretty soon. Sometimes books end up being longer than expected' date=' sometimes shorter.[/quote']

Wow, so it's really 432 pages? I was going to get it before (I love Pulp and Victorian era Steampulp, as I call it), but now I really, REALLY want it!

Wow' date=' so it's really 432 pages? I was going to get it before (I love Pulp and Victorian era Steampulp, as I call it), but now I really, REALLY want it![/quote']

Yes, it most certainly is, and yes, you most certainly must. I finally got to pick up the hardbound copy my agent scored for me, and I'm caressing it even as I type this.:snicker: Big shout out to Brian at the Dragon's Lair Games in Davie, FL.:rockon:

Ah, anticipation is sweet, but this . . .this is pulp ambrosia.:drink:

The timeline and world chapters are very comprehensive, and I'm definitely adapting Randall's Raiders and all the villains for my home campaign.:thumbup:

Special mention should go to the overall solid artwork. Nice to see the old Justice Inc. stuff, and the pulp cover chapter inserts were a super sweet touch.:yes:

What impresses me the most 'though, having read through the genre and GMing chapters, is the depth to which the authors obviously studied the original sources. You boys did your homework, or you certainly make it look that way, which is just as good to me. I'm still digesting the new mechanics, particularly the Heroic Action Points (not sure if I want to replace my homebrew rules yet, but we'll playtest them), but Chapters One and Six are worth the price of the hardcover alone. Kudos Messrs. Long and Ross! Guys like you are the only reason I'm still gaming.:cheers:

Well I have my copy of "Pulp Hero" ! Woo Hoo ! I was told that it was literally the last one sold and was picked up for me by one of the staff from my Gaming shop the "Sydney Games Centre" in Burwood (a western Sydney suburb). Thanks to Chris who was over at Gencon ! So far it looks terrific and I will now have to sit down and make some decisions about what sort of campaign I want to run. I think i'll ask some of the would be players for their input as well before I start !

Thanx for the kind words, folx! Glad to hear you're enjoying the book.

If you haven't already, please check out our two Pulp Hero-oriented Hero Plus Adventures PDF products. I hope to have another one ready soon, and I have ideas for plenty of others beyond that... assuming people want them. ;)

My friend Thad picked this up for me at Gen Con.

I have looked it over. Having read the timeline, I want to run a conspiracy game. All those mysterious deaths.:eg:

However I do have one minor quibble. Periods. They should have been used in the timeline to avoid the following:

Plague in India kills 1000 Dance marathoners fad catches on in United States.:D

My friend Thad picked this up for me at Gen Con.

I have looked it over. Having read the timeline, I want to run a conspiracy game. All those mysterious deaths.:eg:

However I do have one minor quibble. Periods. They should have been used in the timeline to avoid the following:

Plague in India kills 1000 Dance marathoners fad catches on in United States.:D

No problem ! Put the period after "marathoners", start a new sentence with "Fad" and you have a first class adventure hook. Who is slaughtering the dance marathoners, and why ?

To "Steve Long" Congratulations on a great looking book ! My only quibble is that there is no "Martial Artist" package in the package deals. That is a surprise' but then I have "Ultimate Martial Artist" and can decide for myself how much the package deals for various martial arts are going to cost. I have a potential player who wants to play a martial artist. Assuming that I don't have more than ONE such player I may allow him a choice from MOST of the Asian styles that were known at the time ; certainly any of the Kung Fu variants. Looking at the other packages I am sure that I can come up with a package for our martial artist. I may well restrict other players (non Martial Artists) as to whch forms of unarmed combat they can use (probably to the "Western" forms e g Boxing, Wrestling, Cinematic Brawling, Dirty Infighting) to help keep this player unique. Hmm, might not let him have Karate or Ninjisu as I think that I want to keep these for insidious Japanes agents !

I'm pretty sure a Martial Artists wasn't included for the reason that it was already in UMA. While I notice some crossover in the Hero books, so far Steve's avoided the "Palladium effect" of constant cutting-and-pasting of large amounts of material from one book to the next, which is something I really appreciate.

I'm pretty sure a Martial Artists wasn't included for the reason that it was already in UMA. While I notice some crossover in the Hero books' date=' so far Steve's avoided the "Palladium effect" of constant cutting-and-pasting of large amounts of material from one book to the next, which is something I really appreciate.[/quote']

Yeah, ditto on that. One of the worst purchases I ever made was GURPS second edition Bestiary. Over half the book was a cut and paste from GURPS Supers, which I already had. Thanks a lot guys. (I generally like GURPS but that torqued me off good.)

Still, they could have invented a couple of new martial arts to go in Pulp. I don't have UMA, but does it have a suitable version of boxing, fisticufs, street fighting and a Fu Manchu style? That's all you'd need to start.

Still' date=' they could have invented a couple of new martial arts to go in Pulp. I don't have UMA, but does it have a suitable version of boxing, fisticufs, street fighting and a Fu Manchu style? That's all you'd need to start.[/quote']

It's got boxing, the Manly Art of Fisticuffs and Dirty Infighting/Streetfighting, and several 'Fu Manchu' styles in a section for fictional martial arts. It's really a good book to have for almost any campaign.

My copy came in the mail yesterday, and I already love it! PH has my vote for next year's awards hands-down. Great artwork, excellent writing, wonderful sections on history of the period and important people. I could go on and on, but anyone who has it already knows. If you don't have it yet--get thee to your local gaming shop or the Online Store and get a copy already!

I was worried about maintaining a pulp feel in my game. A fellow player told me about a Justice, Inc. game he played in several years ago that was downright deadly to PCs--not the pulp feel I was looking for at all. The book admirably supplies new skills/talents to truly give your characters that pulp feel.

I especially like the timeline. I plan on photocopying it for my own use and inserting my "pulp" history into it so I know exactly how everything falls together.