"Neat" Pictures

Dr. Anomaly

18 hours ago, Cygnia said:

Well, I saw it on Ted Allen's twitter feed this morning, which had me wondering if it's a specialized knife for the kitchen in some way.

As for blade forging, I've become a fan of "Forged in Fire" on the History Channel -- and the new season starts next month!

19 hours ago, Zeropoint said:

Interesting. I have questions, though, like why the extreme curve, and was the file really that wide?

I keep thinking about getting into making knives, but never doing anything about it.

I've been watching a lot of knife crafting videos on YouTube lately. I don't have and never will have a workshop of my own again, so it's cool to watch stuff like this in action. And I'm learning quite a bit about the craft that I will never be able to use on my own. I keep thinking about getting into knife sharpening. That's a whole 'nother thing, as they say. I really like the S curve knife above.

• Replies 19.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

5 hours ago, Logan.1179 said:

I've been watching a lot of knife crafting videos on YouTube lately. I don't have and never will have a workshop of my own again, so it's cool to watch stuff like this in action. And I'm learning quite a bit about the craft that I will never be able to use on my own. I keep thinking about getting into knife sharpening. That's a whole 'nother thing, as they say. I really like the S curve knife above.

Do you watch Forged in Fire on History? Fun show and the first part is usually making some type of knives.

19 hours ago, slikmar said:

Do you watch Forged in Fire on History? Fun show and the first part is usually making some type of knives.

I've enjoyed it when I can get it. But without cable access is sketchy because they want you to subscribe which I'm not paying for. I think I caught a marathon of free episodes when I was recovering from surgery last.

As soon as I saw it, I knew that it was either microscopic or geographic in scale, but not which. I find that intriguing. Why is "not human scale" obvious to us when the difference between tiny and huge isn't? Is it just familiarity with what things look like at our own scale? Something to do with fractals in nature (but wouldn't THAT lead to similarities at ALL scales?)?