Full Metal Alchemist

Super Squirrel

I've just started watching Full Metal Alchemist recently and I really feel the world system behind the anime would make a very interesting roleplaying game.

The anime world seems to be a sort of steampunk system. Alchemists are a popular phenomina in the world. Alchemy is sort of a spell system but has very strict rules to it.

1) You must work with an equal amount of material.

2) You cannot transmute gold.

3) You cannot transmute humans.

As I have been looking for a game to put together for starting a new tabletop game, I'm thinking that this might be a good system to go with. Alice liked the concept so I'm probably going to do more work on it.

If anyone would like to help with this process, it would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Full Metal Alchemist

I've just started watching Full Metal Alchemist recently and I really feel the world system behind the anime would make a very interesting roleplaying game.

The anime world seems to be a sort of steampunk system. Alchemists are a popular phenomina in the world. Alchemy is sort of a spell system but has very strict rules to it.

1) You must work with an equal amount of material.

2) You cannot transmute gold.

3) You cannot transmute humans.

As I have been looking for a game to put together for starting a new tabletop game, I'm thinking that this might be a good system to go with. Alice liked the concept so I'm probably going to do more work on it.

If anyone would like to help with this process, it would be greatly appreciated.

I was under the impression that you're able to transmute gold, but the law prohibits it.

Anyway, alchemists should probably be built on either a VPP or an Elemental Control, depending on whether you're going for something like the Alrich brothers (VPP), or most of the other, more specialized State Alchemists (Elmental Control). Most Alchemy seems to require gestures, and you need to have the circle someplace. I would go as far as to make the circle the Focus, and the ingredients "Restrainable." This is probably safe to go with, since Edward was unique, and a Philosopher's Stone is still a Focus.

Well, 1) is an immutable law of alchemy, as I understand it in the anime. You simply cannot do transmutation without following it. Ed and Al find this out the hard way at the beginning ofthe series.

2) and 3) are more like ethical rules. You will see later in the series that both of these are broken by people they meet. Although, both are very hard to do correctly (and/or permanently) without using the Philosopher's Stone.

Also,you might add that most people need a transmutation circle to perform alchemy. I remember seein an early episode where Ed scribbles one on the side of a train engine to create a small cannon to knock a badguy of the train.

Well, 1) is an immutable law of alchemy, as I understand it in the anime. You simply cannot do transmutation without following it. Ed and Al find this out the hard way at the beginning ofthe series.

2) and 3) are more like ethical rules. You will see later in the series that both of these are broken by people they meet. Although, both are very hard to do correctly (and/or permanently) without using the Philosopher's Stone.

Also,you might add that most people need a transmutation circle to perform alchemy. I remember seein an early episode where Ed scribbles one on the side of a train engine to create a small cannon to knock a badguy of the train.

I'm still mulling over in my head HOW to do the Tranmutation process.

Thanks for the clarification on #2 and #3.

Each alchemist seems to focus on his own interests, but it is a pretty wide open magic system.

From a game mechanics perspective, a lot of what is seen on the anime would just be special effects. There is always a lot of light and sound, but the bottom line effects tend to be a lot of transforms and energy blasts. Unfortunately, with enough time and preparation, an alchemist can do just about anything. That seems to point to a VPP. I would put the limitations that Fenixcrest suggested, but it seems that other restrictions would be useful. Something like a list of no more than X AP "spells" that just use those limitations, and anything else that has something like extra time, or something. Hm. Maybe this would work better as an EC for the spells in their "specialty," and a VPP with hefty limitations for anything else. It feels kind of artificial, but it would encourage each alchemist to develop their specialty and use it more often than the wider art.

As for role playing, I like the way each alchemist has a specialty (and a name to reflect it), and has little things to help with that specialty. Like Roy Mustang (the flame alchemist), who has his gloves made with flint and steel in the fingertips, so that he can make a spark just by snapping his fingers, and a transmutation circle sewn into the back of the glove. I would strongly encourage things like this for character creation. Better yet, start the characters out as "recruits" and make them prove themselves to earn their names.

Warning!!! Spoilers!!!

I'll change the colour of the text to hide it (highlight it to see)-

It also seems that human life is the ultimate price/mana - the various Philosopher's Stones are in actuallity just methods to condense human lives down into gems. Multiple transmutations can be made using what is essentially a huge mana store made from human sacrifices.

I don't think the qualification of State Alchemist, or the use of a form of Philospher's Stone (ring, or State Alchemis watch) allow the use of Alchemy without using a transmutation circle.

To do Alchemy without a transmutation circle - you need to have seen the Gate (ie performed human transmutation at some stage). But I would have the transmutations lower in difficulty to cast, if you have a circle drawn. Some things require it because it is such a huge and spell (ie creating Philosopher's Stones).

i dont watch it regularly but I do remember a case of human transmutation/transform

Basically, some guy in prison used another prisoner to escape by rearranging the "chemicals" in his body to turn him into a living bomb.

On a non-gaming note. There is a 50-something woman at work that talked about watching this show on occasion.:)

Alchemy Transmutation: Xd6 Transform Anything into Anything, Improved Group Results (+1) (Active Points: 30 Points per Die); Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Requires Alchemy Roll (-1 per 20 Active Points; -1/4), Variable Limitation(OAF Fragile Arrangement, OAF Fragile and RSR(Alchemy), OIF Fragile, Very Difficult; -3/4), Gestures (-1/4), Laws of Transmutation or the Philosopher's Stone (-1), Target and Alchemist Must Be In Contact With Same Ground (-1/4), Side Effects(Extreme, Whenever the Alchemist Attempts to Transmute Humans; -3/4), Visible (-1/4), Extra Time(Full Phase, Can Be Pushed Up Time Chart; -1/4). Total Cost: 6 Points per Die.

To be a decent Alchemist you need to have at least 30 points invested into Alchemy. You would need to put in 60 points to be a powerful Alchemist. People who focus on a particular Alchemy can reduce the Active Point Cost by dropping the Improved Group Results.

Custom Disadvantage:

Natural Alchemist: Earn 2 Less Experience Per Game (Boost Starting Alchemy Transmutation by 5d6): 30 Character Points.

Note: This disadvantage must bring the character to 75 + 105 points and requires a minimum of 10d6 in Alchemy Transmutation.

I'm wondering if summon would be a good idea as well. The summoning only operates for the length of time that the Alchemist is casting their spell - and stops after they break their concentration.

Some of the things that are transformed behave as though they have animal instincts or a life of their own - until the Alchemist is interrupted.

I didn't have a map made yet that I'll be using for this world. I do, however know the names of the cities I'll be using. I decided to go with Roman City names. The cities will be nothing like the European match. The names I will use are listed below.

Aquae Sulis

Garrianonum

Segontium

Cantabria

Deva

Corinium

Dubris

Dunelm

Isca

Pons Aelius

Oxonia

Calleva

Bona

Athenae

Narnia

I'm wondering if summon would be a good idea as well. The summoning only operates for the length of time that the Alchemist is casting their spell - and stops after they break their concentration.

Some of the things that are transformed behave as though they have animal instincts or a life of their own - until the Alchemist is interrupted.

The problem with summoning is that it would put it in a position where it would become a VPP and you can't apply limitations to the Pool itself, only the Control Cost.

I do see the occasions where you could call it a summon though and I really don't know how to represent that unless you are transforming Stone Statue to Animate Statue or something like that.

Nation of Nero

*Capital: Deva (S)

Cantabria (S)

Corinium (H)

*Dubris (S)

*Pons Aelius (S)

Oxonia (W)

*Bona (S)

*Narnia (W/H)

Nation of Prisca

*Capital: Isca (S)

Aquae Sulis (S)

Segontium (S)

Garrianonum (H)

*Athenae (H)

Calleva (H)

Dunelm (S)

(S) Electricity Derived from Steam Energy (Either Coal or Lumber)

(H) Electricity Derived from Hydrogen Energy (Either Mill, Dam, or Tidal)

(W) Electricity Derived from Windmills

Firearms are built one of two ways:

Small, personalized hand guns are required to be manual loaded after each shot or a small revolver with no more than six bullets. Reloading a revolver requires 2-full phases or a single phase on a successful Fast Draw roll. All other single shot weapons require a full phase to reload or a half-phase with a Fast Draw roll. Double barrell weapons consider each barrell as a seperate firearm for the purposes of reloading.

The other style of weapon is the Gatling Class. These are weapons with autofire capability. They are limited in their ammo, having no more than 64 rounds. It takes 5 minutes to reload a Gatling Class Weapon. These weapons are built as OAF Bulky. If a Gatling Class Weapon is built into Auto-Mail the Auto-Mail does not provide the character with a replacement hand. Auto-Mail Gatling Weapons require 20 Minutes to reload.