MetaCyber

Killer Shrike

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: MetaCyber

Greeting Killer Strike, and thanks for the One Shot Adventure for Weather Top 2006. Other than expressing my thanks I wanted to know what Resources you used for the Meta Cyber Setting?

Cheers

QM

Thanks and youre welcome.

The resources for MetaCyber? Hmm...

Does my brain count? Im calling on old Shadowrun, Cyberpunk, and CarWars games for most of it. And of course I ran a MetaCyber campaign several years ago. I didnt do much prep work for it, a few hours in the car killing time while my wife (girlfriend at the time) played a tennis match one afternoon basically -- just winged the rest of it.

I also did some research by reading / rereading some Cyberpunk books specifically to get into the "head space" as it were. I also picked up a couple of old Shadowrun supplements on the cheap, though I didnt actually end up using them for anything save to not forget to cover any major bases.

My creative processes are also very tightly connected to music; I try to listen to certain things to get me into a particular frame of mind. When working on MetaCyber Ive been listening to a lot of Godhead, Orgy, and Opeth for the more cerebral stuff, and a lot of Static-X, Rammstein, and Buckethead for the action oriented stuff.

Dark Champions is a big inspiration. I've always considered Cyberpunk to be "action/adventure" rather than "scifi" because the focus isnt on technology, its on how people use technology to make themselves into bad asses. :eg:

As some of you know Im a big fan of noir / dystopian settings, particularly as they apply to RPG's. I'm a huge fan of Edsel's for instance -- the Omega Team should be required reading in my opinion. Reading the Dark Champions genre book and Hudson City really got my juices flowing for something dark and gritty again.

I briefly considered revisting my old Demon Hunter: FBI setting, but technically DoJ owns it and I wanted to make something that I could make publically available, so I settled on MetaCyber.

BTW Gojira' date=' I havent forgotten you -- I just havent had the time to think thru your last batch of question to the level that they deserve. I am pondering them, never fear.[/quote']

No worries. I'm just throwing test cases out there for you to ponder, really. If you could hand wave the answer or just add a bit of flavor text to cover it, I think it would be fine. They're just questions or situations that might come up.

Now take a computer protected by a series of firewalls. Dump the firewall logs via a dump portocol like serial to a dedicated machine that's not on the NET and just scans for problems. If there's any problem detected, depower the systems with the most sensitive data so they can't transmit and sound the alarm. This should happen as the first or second firewall is still being tampered with, before any real system is reached.

Last week, January 29th I think, Ghost in the Shell ran a bit where The Major hacked into a government lab. They detected the intrusion, tried to stop it, and when they couldn't they gave the order to "Phyically isolate critical systems!!" Of course, they couldn't. The system wouldn't respond to the disconnect command by then, but I just wanted to let you know that phyically disconnecting a server is out there as an idea for countermeasures.

Awesome Stuff, thank you. Could you send me the Template you use to produce those character sheets. Caus they ROCK!

We still follow your stuff and eagerly await more.

QM

P.S.: I owe you REP oh yeah She's cute.

Thanx.

The Template is one of the "one column ability" templates in the zip file on this page:

http://www.killershrike.com/HeroDesigner/HeroDesigner.htm

Was stuck on a boring conference call today and made a javascript utility to generate Tuber Packages on the fly to keep from going insane. Check it out, its fun for the whole gamer family....

http://www.killershrike.com/MetaCyber/MetaCyberCharacters_Origins_Tuber.shtml

(scroll down a bit -- its in the middle of the page)

Playing around with the random Tuber Packages. I like the general spread. On average you are going to get a collection of good abilities, sometimes youre going to come out a bit subpar, and there is enough potential for uberness to keep the Origin competitive.

The main thing I like is that there is a definite economy of scale -- the more points you wager on your Tuber Package, the better your odds of getting an above average return.

Here's a particularly uber one that I just rolled up, which is definitely on the higher end:

Mighty +15 STR; No Figured Characteristics (-1/2)

Accelerated +1 SPEED

Stalwart +7 BODY; No Figured (-1/2)

+1 PD

Trooper +5 REC

Brutish +10 PD

Sturdy +10 STUN

Sturdy +10 STUN

Brutish +10 PD

Trooper +5 REC

Mighty +15 STR; No Figured Characteristics (-1/2)

TOTAL REAL COST: 100 points

Thats:

+30 STR (effective 50 NCM)

+21 PD (effective 29 NCM)

+20 STUN (effective 70 NCM)

+10 REC (effective 20 NCM)

+7 BODY (effective 27 NCM)

+1 SPD (effective 5 NCM)

:eek:

In contrast here's about the weakest one Ive rolled up in a test set of 30 or so:

Mental Acuity Absolute Time Sense

Absolute Range Sense

Speed Reading (x10)

Rapid Recovery Rapid Healing

Resistance (5)

Corneal Acuity Infravision

Flash Defense (Sight): 5

Hydrodynamic Swimming +6", and Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) on Swimming 8"

Adroit Ambidexterity (-1)

Double Jointed

Combat Alertness Danger Sense (self only, in combat, Intuitional) 11-

Immune to Disease Life Support (Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents)

Brilliant +10 INT

Good Brain Eidetic Memory

+5 INT

Strong-legged Leaping 2" (Accurate), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2)

Theres some good abilities in there in theory, but no real synergy and definitely not combat efficient. It would take a clever player to really make that amount to anything fantastic.

The median is a pretty solid mix however; something like this is pretty typical / representative:

Stalwart +7 BODY; No Figured (-1/2)

+1 PD

Rugged +2 PD

+2 ED

Damage Resistance (4/4)

+1 REC

Aural Acuity Targeting with Normal Hearing

Brachiator Clinging (+10 STR); Requires A Climbing Skill Roll (-1/2), Cannot Resist Knockback (-1/4)

Climbing Skill (DEX)

Resilient Power Defense: 10

Beautiful +20 COM

Resolute Mental Defense +10

Immune to Disease Life Support (Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents)

Adroit Ambidexterity (-1)

Double Jointed

Accelerated +1 SPEED

Definitely some all around useful stuff in there.

Shrike, I love the Generator. I had a questio though. Once someone buys the tuber package, can they improve the random abilities that they recieved. Such as buying their amount of sleep from 8 hours/week to say, none? OR improving their Danger sense w/ things like disriminatory, larger area, improved preception?

Otherwise, it all looks great.

Shrike, I love the Generator. I had a questio though. Once someone buys the tuber package, can they improve the random abilities that they recieved. Such as buying their amount of sleep from 8 hours/week to say, none? OR improving their Danger sense w/ things like disriminatory, larger area, improved preception?

Otherwise, it all looks great.

I think it would be too open to abuse in general, but a GM running a MetaCyber campaign could certainly allow it if they wish.

And thanx!

Upgraded Tuber Package randomizer, added a lot more slots (48 + 6 highly rare ones), and 5 "Phenotype" packages for Extra Smart, Extra Strong, Extra Rugged, Extra Quick, and Extra Capable.

I also added a block to output the actual Rolls just for informational purposes.

Finally, added a printer friendly page for the randomizer. It calls the same code, but is convenient for printing:

http://www.killershrike.com/MetaCyber/MetaCyberCharacters_Origins_TuberPackage_Printer.shtml#TUBER