Help Me Populate A Creepy Hotel

AlHazred

Re: Help Me Populate A Creepy Hotel

so.. reposting from a different thread..

ok, it's very weird, and maybe not appropriate for this board.. suffice to say I was trying to seduce someone, I had magical abilities, demonstrated by my being able to both close and seal a door from across the room, and I was very concerned about a drawing he had done... I kept asking him why he had chosen to use a particular shape... it was important, but I'm not sure why...

so if this is more appropriate I will elaborate some...

I was trying to seduce Harry Potter (don't go ew!.. he was older) We were in his room, I think, but it was larger... draped in fabric, wooden floor. I closed and sealed the door with magic.. it was to keep people out, not in.. I wasn't concerned about anyone chasing us, I just didn't want to be interrupted. The picture was of a church yard with a cemetary, but the headstone were triangular.. I needed his trust...

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a creepy nightmare last night. I was in a cabin in the woods in Maine, so far out of the way that we had to take a small biplane to go to "town." I'd come with a group of younger people, and the role of the boy trying to seduce me was played my Seann William Scott.

One of the girls who'd come with us turned up dead, and the stab wounds all over my love interest's body matched the dagger she'd been carrying. But he convinced me he didn't do it, somehow.

So then we flew into town, where my dream momentarily flashed onto "the monster," who gloated that he'd finally lured me into his trap. My love interest tried to seduce me, but I pushed him away and ran out to the plane. He pulled a gun, but the appearance of the monster so startled him that he dropped it and it went off, apparently killing him. In my dream, the "camera" panned from the smoking gun, out to the dirt-packed lot where I was running toward the plane, knowing the monster was hot on my heels.

And then my alarm went off. I was so startled, and the dream felt so real, that I had to turn on the bedside lamp before I'd get out of bed to hit the alarm.

The monster itself looked to be made of some kind of wax.

That is a creepy dream. Maybe we should start a creepy dream thread somewhere. Not so much just recounting the dream, but offering up suggestions on how to model the creepiness in game terms.

Off to Other Genres to start up a thread.....

PRE: Usable only as attack, usable only on self.

That's what my nightmares feel like, anyway.

Funny that. The only time I wake up sweating and uncomfortable from a nightmare is when it isn't one. Dreams of being chased by monsters, being killed in horrific ways, etc don't bother me. It is the mundane ones, a chat with a friend or having dinner with somebody, those are the ones that get to me. I always wake up from those with a "WTF was that all about?" mindset.

It's not a nightmare until I've woken up in a cold sweat. I've had plenty of scary dreams that didn't do that to me, and plenty of mundane ones that have haunted me for weeks.

The only thing that makes any sense to me is that it isn't just images and words that go through our heads when we sleep; there's also an emotional cycle. And if that cycle is on fear when we're dreaming, then it feels like a nightmare and we wake up soaked in a cold sweat.

Something like that.

I started a thread; Dreams in the HERO House, over in Other Genres if you are interested.

As to this, and there have been a lot of pages to this thread, I submit the Nightmare Room. It is a room that the occupants have extremely vivid and disturbing dreams. Sometimes the dreams have an immediate purpose and sometimes they hint at things that may be or may yet come. Sometimes the dreams are heavily laced metaphor and symbology and sometimes they are stark and barren. They are always disturbing and come with a price. The next day the dreamer has a difficult time concentrating or performing actively due to a general sense of distraction and very sore muscles.

If this concept has been explored before, I don't remember it and I apologize for the repeat.

I started a thread; Dreams in the HERO House, over in Other Genres if you are interested.

As to this, and there have been a lot of pages to this thread, I submit the Nightmare Room. It is a room that the occupants have extremely vivid and disturbing dreams. Sometimes the dreams have an immediate purpose and sometimes they hint at things that may be or may yet come. Sometimes the dreams are heavily laced metaphor and symbology and sometimes they are stark and barren. They are always disturbing and come with a price. The next day the dreamer has a difficult time concentrating or performing actively due to a general sense of distraction and very sore muscles.

If this concept has been explored before, I don't remember it and I apologize for the repeat.

This is awesome. I expect to see this in game sometime :)

...another contribution to the creepy hotel:

On the fifth floor the hallway carpeting is different every time you go up there. No one else seems to notice.

This is awesome. I expect to see this in game sometime :)

...another contribution to the creepy hotel:

On the fifth floor the hallway carpeting is different every time you go up there. No one else seems to notice.

Variant -- the stuffed and mounted heads in the bar change slightly between visits. Go in enough and the heads will be of totally different animals. No one comments on this or even seems to notice.

Variant II -- the animals aren't native to this place or time.

Variant III -- the heads become disturbingly humanoid.

Variant V - The heads slowly become recognizably human ... and the regulars become distinctively inhuman, though no one outside the group seems to notice. And as soon as one of the characters recognizes one of the faces and turns away, they all revert to normal, except for the group of cloaked figures in that dark corner.

Variant VII - The hotel has a bar; you get to it by going out of the lobby through wide double doors. No problem --- except that once or twice a week the doors are shut and locked. If you ask, all anyone who works at the hotel knows is it's some kind of problem with the lock.

If you go out the hotel's front door and around the corner to the bar's entrance on the street, everything seems fine. Just don't have anything stronger than beer. If you do, when you go out the front door of the bar, you'll find yourself a few miles from the hotel, and no sign of the bar you just left.

There are stories that some people have landed up farther away than that. Including whispered stories about some people landing up somewhere not on Earth.

Oh, and by the time you get back to the hotel, the door from the lobby to the bar is unlocked. And no-one recalls it being locked.

Scenario: Do I Belong Here?

You appear to be a regular in the hotel; you actually seem to live there. Everyone knows and likes you. You're welcome throughout the establishment.

You know these people, but what are there names? Where and when did you meet them? And which room is yours anyway?

Variant: You don't belong here.

No one sees or notices you. Everything you do is ignored. Moved items are moved back by the closest person and then ignored, things set on fire are also put out negligently. People hurt or injured by you do not care where their injuries come from. People killed by you are stepped over. Every effect you have on the hotel is completely ignored.

Variants to the above: Resets

a) Once you leave the hotel and come back, all the changes you made are undone.

B) Once you enter your room and come out again, all the changes you made are undone.

c) If you fall asleep.

d) If you look away.

• 3 weeks later...

If we're not done yet, here's my contribution . . .

The Three On the Run

They show up one day in a perfectly normal fashion: a woman in her mid-forties, a young man in his late teen/early twenties and a young woman of the same age. All three have dark hair, are dressed mostly in black and the young man and older woman have a hunted expression on their face. The PCs overhear their names when they check in - the young man is called "John" and he refers to the older woman as "Mom". The young woman's name is Cameron and she calls the older woman "Sarah". John and Sarah are good looking, but it's the young woman who's the real looker, with something of a baby doll look about her and she wears her hair straight down to her waist. She stands out with her behaviour, too. When she talks to the PCs, she always looks straight at them, unless she's doing something which requires her attention. She seems cold, almost callous, speaks in a matter of fact manner, almost a monotone and she's blunt to the point of rudeness. Plus there's a lot about modern culture she doesn't seem to get.

They're clearly on the run from someone, which includes the FBI, but the FBI seems to worry them less than a man they call "Cromartie" who seems intent on killing them all, but John in particular.

Oh yes, and they're carrying holdalls which seem to be really heavy, although Cameron has no problem with them. In fact, for her build she seems inordinately strong. The way the three talk, it makes the PCs think they're full of guns . . .

(No need to give rep for this, since it's blatantly obvious where I've ripped these three off from).

Yes' date=' but what if it is only coincidence that their names are John, Sarah and Cameron. What if they have nothing to do with the obvious source. ;)[/quote']

Trust me - it isn't and they do. IMO Cameron Phillips is the best Terminator yet - played by Summer Glau (yay!) and she gets to beat up on the bigger T-800 series models. I see her as a kind of "anti-Terminator Terminator".

Or to make it creepy, the person on the other end of this online connection isn't exactly normal. Whether it be a demon, a ghost, or even an alien intelligence, this computer is the only way that the person can contact them.

Before the advent of computers, the courtesy phone in the lobby was the preferred method of contact.