Help Me Populate A Creepy Hotel

AlHazred

Re: Help Me Populate A Creepy Hotel

Band-Aid Guy

In his early thirties, very thin and unhealthy-looking, he has numerous small scars, scabs, and sores, especially on his hands and forearms. His largest and most recent injuries are not-quite covered by large band-aids. These are all the more obvious because he is a black man and the band-aids are the typical white-person's-skin color. The wounds glimpsed underneath might looks like bites, scratches, circles, or whatever the GM desires. He leaves his room frequently, but when doing so looks nervous and hurried. He never stays out long; his most common reason for leaving is to go to the nearest fast-food place (it's cheaper than room service). There, he orders a value-meal, paying mostly with change and possibly a crumpled $1 bill or two. As he briskly walks back to the hotel, he voraciously devours the fries, hamburger bun, lettuce, tomatoes, and pickles. By the time he's back in the hotel, on his way to his room, he's licking the condiments from the hamburger. He'll then look longingly at the burger and, after a moment's hesitation just might nibble at its edges or even take one guilty bite before re-wrapping it and entering his room.

Oh, and Mrs. Jones down the hall swears she once saw him pick up a dead pigeon off the sidewalk and put it in his pocket before returning to the hotel.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some creepy hotel elements.

The floors go 11-12-14-15 (of course), and room 1408 on the "14th" floor is said to be haunted by... something. The room is left empty and no one enters it. However, late at night, noises are sometimes heard inside the room. Rumor has it that once a guest went inside to check, and never came out again.

If you count the stories from the outside, the number of floors doesn't match the number you can access from the inside.

Counting windows results in too many (or too few) rooms per floor.

At least one door in the hotel will not stay closed overnight.

One room seems to be haunted by a friendly ghost. Or, at least, a neat one. Anyone staying there will find their clothing hung up and put away and the bed neatly made. Even if they leave for just a few minutes. One traveling salesman decided to take advantage of this and turned into a total slob -- until he arrived to find everything of his in a pile in the middle of the bed... including his recent room service order.

It could also be weird if there is a 13th floor button' date=' but it only shows up at night or maybe even only at midnight, if a character gets in the elevator at that time. The rest of the time, it's not there.[/quote']

Actually, the hotel/apartment building in Delta Green: Countdown works like that. You could access the 4th floor only after dark (or at certain times).

Help Me Populate A Creepy Hotel

Well, at first I thought "That's easy, brianca and I can just move in." Then I saw the awe-inspiring posts other people came up with and knew I had to take it more seriously.

Here is my resident candidate:

The Girl of Your Dreams AKA Deja Vu Girl

Definitely not classically beautiful; I see her as perhaps a more exotic beauty, but most likely a very ordinary but pleasant girl-next-door type. Someone who is compelling, but not for any easily explained reason.

Perhaps she works in the hotel, or as a waitress in a restaurant nearby.

When the player character first sees her, she looks hauntingly familiar. The same effect will be noticed when she speaks - the voice, a turn of phrase, seem to have been heard before.

If the character is psychic, has a PS: Psychology, or is otherwise the sort of person to pay attention to and remember their own dreams, they will recall having dreamed of her - but probably not until after the conversation. Otherwise, they will only remember the dream with an INT roll at a penalty.

After the first meeting the characters (or perhaps you will pick just one of the player characters) will dream of her and remember. Sometimes, the dreams will seem prophetic ; such as dreaming that she drops a tray of food at work, and then seeing it happen the next day. Some dreams seem very mundane, or the character wakes with a strange feeling "she was there in my dreams again." Sometimes they are surreal and mysterious; she appears in a playboy bunny suit that morphs into a furry all-over easter bunny type costume, while insisting that the goldfish don't need to be salted.

If approached about the dreams, she may respond "I'm flattered that I seem to have made an impression." But if the character insists that the dreams must be meaningful, or attempts to get closer to her or get to know her better, she will start to react badly, obviously thinking the player character is a nutcase who has somehow become fixated on her because of some bizzarre dreams he (or she) had. And, really, who can blame her?

Lucius Alexander

Trying to muffle both of the palindromedary's mouths to keep it from revealing that very old story about MY dreamgirl.....

One last throwaway idea before I go to sleep.

The Picture in the Lobby

In the lobby hangs a painting. It's part of the decor of the hotel - the Management went to a company for their "flair," so it all matches. Well, everything except the painting in the lobby.

For one thing, it's enormous - the lobby is the one room that's big enough to hold it, where it can hang without getting in the way like it would in the convention halls. It's ornately-carved gold-colored frame is strange, anyway. Most guests who take a close look swear they see faces carved in there, screaming or calling out for something. It's all a trick of the eye, though, like finding images in the clouds.

Besides, the subject matter, while odd, isn't outright weird or grotesque. It merely depicts a scene of a murder, with twelve oddly-costumed people standing around a man in a black robe, who clutches his chest as he falls to the floor in a pool of blood. The clerk says its supposed to be some sort of classical scene, but that doesn't explain all the minor oddities in it: through a window in the background is what appears to be a pyramid with a glowing eye atop it; various people have pieces of paper sticking out of their pockets, but they all have strange-looking writing on them - or maybe a code; the knives are all oddly-curved, and some of the look like they are not knives at all but claws that spring from the assailants' hands; and the pool of blood on the floor seems to reflect something just above the painting's point of view, too vague to make out but somehow disturbing in outline or form.

But the most disturbing thing about the painting is the murdered man's face. It glares out at the viewer with an expression of betrayal, anger - and terror. People claim the eyes seem to follow them as they move about the lobby. Even the All-Seeing Blind Guy (especially the All-Seeing Blind Guy) claims to feel some weird chill down his spine when he sits or stands nearby.

Look, look now! I swear, I just saw his eyes swivel in your direction...

Plot Hooks:

1) Mystical: The first PC to examine the painting gets an ill-defined creepy feeling when examining the painting closely (and that PC's Danger Sense will go off as well). (If magic is divined for, the PC can tell that the painting itself is not magical, but seems to have a "mystical residue," as if it were present at the scene of powerful magic.) When the PC sleeps, she will dream that she goes to the Lobby, moves a chair over, and climbs into the painting. Inside, the compulsion vanishes and the PC can interact with the scene, which is of a coven of witches in Salem in 1692. Why they are murdering their leader and what their reaction will be to the PC is left to the GM's imagination. The witch who is being murdered is the only witch present with mastery of dream magic enough to send the PC back. The other players could be drawn into the dream as well, or maybe they need to solve the mystery of how to cure their friend, who remains in a coma until her dream-self can win free of the painting.

2) Weird Conspiracy: The painting is a scene from 1775, the murder of one of the minor lights of the American Revolution. A member of a secret society, the painting depicts his murder by Crown loyalists. Hidden in the painting are a large number of clues which point those clever enough to decipher them toward a cache of documents hidden from the British. They might have historical importance - perhaps a title to a piece of currently-foreign soil, or a key to a plot by British Freemasons to take over the fledgling American government. (Perhaps they even succeeded?) Industrious GMs can turn this into an adventure similar to the movie National Treasure.

3) Fortean: The painting seems to change subtly when no-one's looking at it. Positions seem to shift, new details (a pocketwatch with Egyptian hieroglyphs instead of numbers, a thirteenth assailant visible only as a shadow among the drapes, a pattern of designs worked into the robe that can be made out briefly from one particular angle but then disappear entirely) emerge and old ones disappear. Do they follow a cycle based on the Zodiac or the Lunar month? Does the elaborate dance lead to a conclusion of mystical significance, or does the scene always retain a particular dramatic tension? Are the characters portrayed actually performing a ritual to summon the thing barely glimpsed in the pool of blood? Or do their apparent motions predict events happening in the world outside the Hotel? Does it signify a countdown when the knives start disappearing from assailants' hands, one per day while the pool shrinks noticably, and if so what will happen when the last knife goes and the pool is gone?

Another 13th floor option, one that can be explained entirely in mundane terms, but which allows for various possibilities:

The elevators have no 13th floor button (and no 13 light above, where the current floor is indicated), but observant passengers will note a lag time between 12 and 14. Rarely, someone watching the floor indicator will note see the 14 light up, then go dark for a minute before the 12 lights up.

There is a 13th floor, and it can be seen from the outside, but the guestrooms are no longer used since . . . something happened. There might be a 13th floor button in a service elevator, and the 13th floor might be used for storage, but most staff avoid it, especially at night. Another possible way in is by stopping the elevator between floors and manually openning it. If one takes the stairs, the door might be simply locked, or it might be walled off altogether.

Note that this idea can be combined with others, such as the 13th floor button appearing at midnight.

So Al Hazred, what can you tell us about this hotel in terms of size, location, cost, etc. Obviously, the rest of us can use ideas from this thread without accepting your version of the hotel, but I'm still curious about it.

How big is the hotel? How many floors? Rooms per floor?

Where is the hotel? Big city? Small city? Town? What kind of neighborhood? How close to downtown? to the edge of town?

How old is it? Has it been extensively restored? Have there been any wings added (or demolished)?

Is it expensive, cheap, or middle of the road? How clean is it? What (if anything) do mainstream travel guides say about it?

Jukebox Roy

Roy is a kindly old man who's lived at the hotel for the last year and a half. Roy is a mute, if you see the inside of his mouth he doesn't even have a tongue. Roy knows sign language and will happily converse in it with anyone who happens to know it. Otherwise he writes down what he has to say in a pocket sized notebook. No one in the entire hotel has anything bad to say about Roy. When ever the PCs finish talking to him and have turned their backs and are walking away they will hear someone sings old songs. None of the Pcs ever hear the same song at the sametime. If they turn around Roy will be doing something else, not even looking at them. Nobody in the hotel but the PCs has heard this music and if the PCs press the issue they will get strange looks from other people.

"Got it!" guy

Fellow about 5' 4", thin, with short brown hair and big hornrims (but not thick; his eyesight is probably not too bad). He always wears a white t-shirt and black BDU-style pants; the bellows pockets on the legs are stuffed full. If a N/PC is in a (semi)public part of the hotel, working on something and needs a (piece of string)/(paper clip)/(rubber band)/(nail)/(whatever), this guy is likely to appear, smiling widely, proclaim "Got it!" in a pleased tone of voice, and have just the thing in his out-stretched hand. Any questions about how he knew what was needed are met with that big grin and a deprecating shrug of the shoulders---but he says nothing. If simply thanked, he says "No biggy. Keep it, I don't need that one any more." (with just a slight emphasis on "that one"). He avoids answering any questions, but if your PC(s) need a name, it's in the hotel's registry.

Oh, and nothing he ever shows up with is worth so much as $1 (most being nearly worthless); also, he never shows up with a tool.

The Elevator Operator

The hotel has, of course, push-button self-operated elevators. Still, every once in a while, one of the elevators has an old, old guy in it, in the hotel's colors, acting as an elevator operator. He politely asks for your floor, pushes the buttons, and calls off the floors stopped at. He acts like this is all perfectly ordinary, and if asked why he's doing this will say it's his job.

His appearances seem random at first, but if the PCs stay long at the hotel, or ask around, it turns out he's seen about once a month, and only for a few hours in the middle of the day. Investigating to piece together the sightings will reveal he's there on the 18th of the month, or the following Monday if the 18th is on Saturday or Sunday. As well, he's only there from 10 AM to 2 PM.

If asked, the staff will only say that he's "permitted" to do this, and if pressed will say that any questions have to be directed to the owner of the hotel. If the PCs have the "pull" to get to the owner, he will refuse to answer any questions.

Tea Man

Fellow in his mid-40's, always well dressed in a dark-colored suit, tie, shiny shoes--the works. Always seen carrying a white mug that gently steams. There's always a peculiar odor from the mug (it's not always the same odor, mind); never disgusting, seldom unpleasant, but never one the PCs can identify. If asked what he's drinking, answers "Tea". If asked what kind, answers "Herbal". If pressed as to exactly what, will rattle off something and stalk away, clearly offended.

It would take some doing, but eventually the PCs could figure out that what "Tea Man" is rattling off is curiously mispronounced Latin, and he's giving the (Latin) taxonomic name of the plant he's drinking the tea of.

Once that's figured out, comes the bizarre part---whatever he claims to be drinking is violently poisonous! Is he joking? Is he misinformed? Or does he drink poison everyday (and different poisons, at that)?

Not a person, a "situation":

Incandencent Bulbs Only

There are no compact fluorencent bulbs in the hotel. If asked, the staff simply says they've proven unprofitable.

If a PC puts a compact fluorencent into one of the hotel's sockets (in, say, their room), about five minutes after the first time it is switched on, in will shatter---indeed, explode is not too strong a word. If the PC replaces the compact fluorencent, the second one will explode immediately upon being switched on.

This does not occur if the compact fluorencent is in a free-standing lamp, with the lamp plugged into an outlet. The problem only occurs with compact fluorencents in the built-in sockets.

So Al Hazred' date=' what can you tell us about this hotel in terms of size, location, cost, etc.[/quote']I would never presume to impinge on the wild creativity in this thread by defining the hotel. I had nothing too specific in mind anyway, when I started the thread. The hotel is as large or small as is dramatically appropriate (and, if I was running a creepy-eerie game, it might very well change in size in the middle of the adventure if dramatically appropriate).

I figure, hotels are creepy by definition. To quote Steven King: "... But hotel rooms are just naturally creepy places, don't you think? I mean, how many people have slept in that bed before you? How many of them were sick? How many were losing their minds? How many were perhaps thinking of reading a few final verses from the Bible in the drawer of the nightstand beside them and then hanging themselves in the closet beside the TV? Brrrr."

And he's right. And many, many gamers have been in plenty of hotels for Cons. Maybe you didn't sleep in all of them, but you were in one at one time. And Gaming Cons being what they are, I figure there's a good chance most people have seen someone creepy, or heard of someone creepy, or even scared themselves by being creeped out by a perfectly normal guy. I know I have. I'm just seeing what people will come up with based on those experiences, or someone else's experiences, or even just out of nothing at all. It seems to be a very free topic for imagination, no? Just look at how much we've got already...

Also' date=' look for the Stephen King collection [i']Everything's Eventual: 14 Dark Tales[/i], which has the short story 1408 about a room on the 13th floor of a hotel. It is one of the creepiest stories I have ever read, and would make an excellent addition to the hotel.

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1408_%28short_story%29

I was on my way back from Thanksgiving dinner with a friend of mine when I mentioned this thread. He started to mention 1408 himself, and it turns out he had it and was willing to loan it to me. Now I've read it.

Yikes, that is good stuff! Holy crap! I'd forgotten that King occasionally writes really solid pieces that put butterflies in your stomach and send icy spiders crawling slowly, ever so slowly, up your spine...

If you plan on running with the creepy hotel in your game, you owe it to yourself to check this story out before you do.

Shocked Saul

Saul is one of the guests at the hotel. Whenever he's not sleeping (he sleeps from 5am to noon) he walks around the hotel randomly opening doors(every door he tries to open does, even if the PCs just locked it). After he opens a door he'll look at the room beyond the door, seeming to memorize it. Then he closes the door takes five or six steps away and then dashes back and flings open the same door. He always seems shocked to his core that the room hasn't changed.

If asked what he's doing he makes up a lame excuse about the door (I was checking the hinges, I wanted to know which way the door swings). Then he'll go back to his door opening. If someone inside the room asks what he's doing he becomes agitated, often saying things like, "Shut up, Shut up!" or "Mustn't talk to reflections. Mustn't answer."

If the PCs complain to the management they just reassure the PCs that Saul is completly harmless.

The Glutton

Mr. G is a rather thin man, nervous of manner and deep voiced, who seems to be a travelling salesman of the kind that frequently stay at the hotel. He comes by every few months or so to visit a number of clients in the city. The management all know him, apparently very well, but remain somewhat standoffish around him. They treat him with professional courtesy, no more, no less. For his part, the Glutton returns their disdain.

The Glutton is most often seen in the restaurant. For reasons that should become obvious, the maitre d' always seats him in a private booth by himself, no matter how crowded the restaurant is at the time. The Glutton seems to get there early in the evening, and orders incredibly large amounts of food. All sorts of different kinds of food, too - he'll order three 40 oz. steaks, two different kinds of fish, four sausages, two different salads, etc. The servers bring him the food as soon as each plate is done - he eats them voraciously as they come, downing huge bites of food in between great gulps of wine, beer, soda, whatever sits in front of him on the table. He tries to be quiet, but it's sometimes difficult to disguise the noise - when he orders lobster, the guests can't possibly miss the rapid-fire cracking sucking noises from his booth, almost as if he was eating with three mouths at the same time. He eats in this manner for three or four hours at a time.

Afterward, he quietly pays the check in cash (small, unmarked bills) and retires to his room. He rarely chats with any other guests, and if he does it's entirely about inconsequential things. Any attempts to "buddy up" to him or engage him in more personal conversation (like to find out the reason for his gustatory habits) are met with a cold expression and an instant cease of conversation.

Plot Hooks:

1) Mystical: The Glutton is actually a man of some occult power. A sorcerer of great age, he is a member of a cult of cannibals that gain many benefits from their sorceries - greatly extended lifespan, increased magical potency, and other, more outre benefits. Their victims must be chosen by arcane divinations, though, and the members find they must travel a lot to avoid killing too many people in any one area - it would draw dangerous attention. There are other drawbacks, too. For one thing, the Glutton finds he must consume more and more food at mealtimes every year. At the current rate he suspects he will soon spend more time eating than doing anything else. He seeks some means by which he can avoid this fate. Perhaps with the right ritual repast, he can suppress this unnatural hunger. Perhaps one of the PCs will find herself on the menu...

2) Weird Conspiracy: The Glutton seems like a more-or-less ordinary person, except for his one peculiarity. However, he is not: he is the latest in a long line of human cloning experiments designed to make the perfect soldier. This one has been doing fairly well for some time now - he's been able to mostly blend into society. The only problem is that his mutated physiology has huge energy requirements; he must consume enormous quantities of food in order to keep his super-strong muscles limber and his super-fast reactions at their peak. He eats such varied fare because, as a very new person (he was born fully mature) he enjoys the variety and flavor combinations he discovers. In any case, his tastes are not human at all. Perhaps, soon, he will decide to try for some forbidden food...

3) Fortean: The Glutton has been eating enormous amounts of food for years, but it was not always so. He only changed after an experience he does not quite recall. There was a bright light, and then he felt hands all over his body. They put things inside him - in his nightmares, he can feel things squirm and writhe inside him, but when he's awake and mostly normal he can convince himself that it's all in his head. Of course, there are some things that are not in his head. His hunger for one - lately, he feels like he's always hungry. And he's getting thinner, too, despite the food he eats. He thinks he's seen some odd things when he visits the restroom, too. And his stomach is always this purplish bruised color. He swears to himself, he will go see a doctor soon. But the very thought sends him into paroxysms of hunger and pain. And when he eats, he feels a euphoria he never felt before, like all the pain in the world has gone away, like he could conquer any obstacle, like he was the richest man in the world. Like he was becoming part of something new.

And he's right.

The Tract Lady

One of the residents of the hotel, the "Tract Lady" is a woman in her early sixties with iron grey hair, a slighty hunched posture, and a sunny disposition. She always has with her a supply of religious tracts -- a single sheet of paper, printed on both sides, called The Sentinel. She has a different issue of the tract each day, and presses one on everyone she sees, though in a friendly, cheerful, interested fashion and not an overbearing or intrusive fashion.

Like most such items, each printing of The Sentinel talks about the problems in today's world and how to overcome them or cope with them through faith and the power of the Scriptures. If anyone takes the time to read the tract carefully, however, they will find a few odd...typos. For example, instead of saying "The Father, The Son, and The Holy Ghost" it might say "The Father, The Son, and the Holy Ghast." Now while that could be a simple typo, others may seem a bit more sinister...words left out, added, or substituted that can completely alter the meaning of the verse being quoted. A quoted section of the Ten Commandments could read "Do not commit murder. Do not not commit adultery. Do not steal. Do testify as a false witness against your neighbor." Again, this could be a typo, but it's more disturbing.

If anyone points them out to the Tract Lady, she'll act embarassed and say "Oh, I thought I'd gotten rid of all those misprinted ones! Here, dear, let me give you the corrected copy!" She then digs through her bundle of tracts and pulls out another copy of the tract in question, and it does in fact have the "typo" corrected to read as it should. There will, however, be another different typo of the same sort elsewhere in the document...

If anyone tries to call the phone number of the publisher (listed in the fine print on the bottom of the back side of the tract) they'll get a "number not in service" message. If they ask the Tract Lady about that, she'll explain that the publisher recently moved offices, and the number hasn't been corrected on the publications yet. She'll write the new number down on a piece of paper and give it to the person who asked. Later, when they go to pull out the piece of paper and call the number, they won't be able to find the paper. If they attempt to call the number right away (on a cell phone, for instance) they'll get a busy signal. If they call Information and ask about the number, they'll be told that number is not a listed number.

This one intrigues me, care to answer a question for me?

Is there a pattern to the typos if a person were to collect several weeks/months of these tracks and compiled all typos/dropped words?

Or is the sinisterness of the typos in the way they misrepresent the doctrine, twisting the meaning into subtly wrong and incompatible ways. Leading people who trully follow these tracts to base their morality on corruption?

TB

Guest Major Tom

The Really Creepy Businessman:

This fellow, like some of the hotel's other residents, is a periodic guest at the

establishment. He tends to be very well-groomed whenever he puts in an ap-

pearance in the common areas of the hotel, and keeps to himself for the most

part. He is also a pleasant-seeming fellow, but there is an undefinable some-

thing about him that only the most sensitive individuals are able to pick up on,

something that causes them to feel extremely uneasy in his presence for any

length of time. Some have even gone so far as to say that, when they look-

ed at him, it was as if he suddenly turned dark before their eyes.

If, however, one of the PCs has caught his interest, he will arrange to meet

the PC later on, usually with references from someone that the PC knows and

respects. He will then ask one question, and one question only: "What do you

want?"

If the PC's answer is unsatisfactory for whatever reason, the businessman will

thank the PC for his time and leave, never to bother him again. If, however,

the PC's initial answer is to the businessman's liking, then he will continue to

ask the same question until he has learned about everything that the PC wants.

Once he's finished, the businessman will tell the PC that his "associates" have

taken an interest in him and wish to help him in any way that the PC desires.

All that they ask in return is that, when requested, the PC will provide a ser-

vice in exchange for whatever assistance is provided.

After the meeting is concluded, the businessman will take his leave of the PC

and move on to his next "client". If the PC goes after him, no matter how

close behind the businessman he was when he got up to follow him, he will

find that the businessman has vanished without a trace. If he asks how he

can get in touch with him, the businessman's voice will seem to come from

out of nowhere, saying "Don't worry, Mr. (insert the PC's last name here).

We'll find you."

Major Tom :eg:

Diabolical Fiend-in-training

Hotel bits

The Falling Body

The PCs see a body falling past a window on a high floor, but see nothing when they rush to investigate, and nothing on the ground outside. This happens more then once, perhaps on a regular basis.

The Mirror in the Closet

When they open the closet, they are suprised to find a mirror on the inside of the door. But more surprising, the reflection shows them with burns that they don't have, in their clothes and on their bodies. There is a faint smell of smoke in the closet as well, and the doorknob always feels faintly warm.

More creepy elevator stuff

There are two elevators in the hotel, one on the right, and one on the left. Whenever you get in one, you seem to exit the other.

The Argument

A young couple seems happy when you first see them in the morning. By lunch they seem tense. They start sniping each other with nasty comments, eventually arguing loudly and visciously, bringing up embarrasing personal details and shouting them for the world to hear. Eventually, one of them leaves the hotel saying they never want to see the other person, only to die in a freak accident (hit by a car in the parking lot, struck by lightning, part of the hotel sign falls on their head, etc). The one that remains is inconsolable, and commits suicide in a obvious and public way (jumping from a high balcony, swallowing a gun, etc). The next day a different couple seems to be repeating the pattern, possibly even some key phrases.

Phone mail

The message light on the room phone is blinking when you first get to your room. The message is addressed to someone named Olaf, saying that the target would be arriving at exactly (insert time PCs showed up), wearing (insert clothes PC are wearing), and they will be in room (insert room number of PCs). The voice will also mention some relevant detail about the PCs that might be useful.

This one intrigues me, care to answer a question for me?

Is there a pattern to the typos if a person were to collect several weeks/months of these tracks and compiled all typos/dropped words?

Or is the sinisterness of the typos in the way they misrepresent the doctrine, twisting the meaning into subtly wrong and incompatible ways. Leading people who trully follow these tracts to base their morality on corruption?

TB

Well, while it would be up to the GM do decide that -- it was left purposefully vague, like most of the ones people have posted -- my intent/thought/concept was the latter...the misrepresentation and twisting. :eg:

Psychic Room Service

The PCs are in their room(s). The phone rings, a PC picks it up and the voice on the other end says "Room service, how can I help you?" Rather innocent yes, except the PCs were just discussing ordering food, getting a cab, getting clothes laundered, or whatever but hadn't actually called anyone yet. If asked, room service will give a name, but later on, no one who the PCs meet will know who that person is. However, this person will often call, right before the PCs need to get something done -- and whatever they order will appear. Whatever. It is recommended the PCs don't make any joke requests....

It sounds like it would be staffed by Belldandy and Kasumi Tendo. :D

Possibly... but the catch is the "whatever" part. Say a frustrated PCs asks for the location of someone they are looking for (as a joke) and then says "Nevermind, just joking, can I have a pot of coffee?" When the coffee arrives, there will be an envelope containing directions to the locations of said person. Now imagine is someone says "Yeah! So-an-so's head on a pike!"