Concepts and Characters (Top 10)

MisterVimes

We've done a lot of "Versus" threads (batman and Cap, Thor and Superman) but as far as pure chracter concepts, what are your top ten favorites?

1) Green (Hal Jordan) Lantern (Chosen Hero)

2) Batman (Self Made Skillmonger)

3) Ironman (Self Made Power Armor)

4) Nova (Chosen... again)

5) Vision (Redeemed Android)

6) Captain America (Chosen Patriot)

7) Spider-Man (Unlikely Hero)

8) Lone Ranger (Reborn Hero)

9) Sandman [Wesley Dodds] (Curious Skillmonger)

10) The Question (Curious Skillmonger)

What, no Poll? :)

1.Spider-Man (The everyman made extraordinary)

2.Captain America (Patriotic Dreamer becomes our champion)

3.Blue Devil (Decent guy becomes Weirdness Magnet)

4.Machine Man (Some heroes really are made not born)

5.Dr. Strange (Pride, fall, Redemption enightenment)

6.Batman (a moment of grief, A life time of dedication)

7 Hawkeye (reformed criminal)

8. Rom, Space Knight (Matyr for the cause)

9. Black Panther (Noblis Oblige)

10. Green Lantern (Chosen... good call Mr Vimes) :)

That's today anyways, tommorrow the list might shift on me. :)

Top 10

10. Beast - Making the best of a bad situation

9. Static - Comic geek gets powers, and is still a nice kid

8. Robin (Tim Drake) - Really smart kid who works really hard

7. Nightwing - Side kick grows into his own man.

6. Green Arrow (Connor Hawk) - Innocent hero.

5. Hawkman - Reincarnated hero with rich history.

4. Shang-Chi - The living weapon. 'Nuff said.

3. Starman (Jack Knight) - Legacy hero smart enough to retire.

2. Quicksilver - "Have you ever stood in line at an ATM..."

1. Jenny Sparks - Alcohol, sex, swearing... and the will to use her powers to make a better world.

1. Spider-Man - I don't think a character concept can be more seamless for a motivated superhero.

2. The Thing - Hey, he's the Ever-lovin' Thing

3. Jonah Hex - 'cuz he's a mean cuss

4. Firestorm - I always liked the kid.

5. Wildfire - He's just cool and he's a deep guy who comes off shallow, always interesting.

6. Thor - He is the best written mythological figure in comics... sometimes.

7. Cyclops - What a story - trained to lead, and the angst

8. Daredevil - A Bat Man rip-off who is a lot more likeable and, frankly, more heroic

9. Power Man - The first African American super hero who broke sterotypes AND was written well

10. Iron Man - He's so flawed and so heroic

1. Spider-Man (With Great Power comes Great Responsibility)

2. Iron Man (The Flawed Knight)

3. Superman (Alien Embodies the Best of Humanity)

4. Black Panther (King, Teacher, Scientist, Leader, Businessman...)

5. Daredevil (Justice vs. Law)

6. Jesse Custer (A Good Man with the Word of God)

7. Deadman (The Dead Live)

8. Spawn (Agent of Hell doing Good)

9. Dr. Manhattan (With Great Power Comes Detachment)

10. Punisher (Pure Vengeance)

1-Captain Marvel-SHAZAM! Chosen hero

2-Alan Scott-Chosen hero

3-Superman(pre-crisis)-the big blue boyscout

4-Sho Fukamachi aka Guyver I-reluctant hero

5-Spiderman-carefree attitude in some of the worst situations

6-Firestorm(pre-crisis)

7-Firestar-a mutant that has moved past the nonsense

8-Kitty Pryde-

9-Batman(pre-crisis)-I loved the issue where he is singing christmas carols with the Gotham Police

10-Amethyst-A great concept

1. Captain Mar-Vell (fights to make a better Universe; Chosen)

2. Colossus (Simply tries to do the right thing with his power)

3. The Beast (still a man no matter what his appearance dictates)

4. MACH II (Redemption; of all the Thunderbolts I thought he was the most human)

5. Captain Marvel (Chosen, childlike innocence with wisdom of the ages)

6. She Hulk (Superpowered Everywoman)

7. Iron Man (Self made superhero)

7. tie STEEL (same thing)

8. Thing (the Man inside the monster)

9. Hercules (mythology come to life)

10. Captain America (Embodiment of all that is good about America)

My top Ten

10: Hawkeye: Wise Cracker trained human.

09: Victor Von Doom: Ahero to Latveria, intelligence and a lesson on pride before the fall.

08: Kitty Pryde: Youthful enthusiasm, Subtle but effective power.

07: Magik: Proof that heroes dont get to choose their powers but will still try ti fight the good fight.

06: Harley Quinn: Athletics and wit used to fight against more powerful foes.

05: Shazam: Basic two fisted hero with ties to Egyptian mythos(power of Shazam)

04: Rogue: the most versitile power ever with great psychological drama when used right.

03: Batman: Vengence, obsession and justice all in a very tightly wound Psyche. He's a hero because he must be!

02: The Flash: Barry Allen: A true hero hat when the time came would make the ultimate sacrifice...

01: The She Hulk (fantastic four days) Strong, intelligent and a knockout. Her wit was a wonderful addition to the intellectual Reed. She was a normal woman living what ti was like to adventure with the worlds first family. Rather than be cowed by this she had a great time with it.

Sadly this seems to be lost in her mordern (silly) incarnations).

10. The original Human Torch. A created being who surpasses the power and responsibility of those who created him.

9. The Thing. A monster who is human and a hero.

8. Daredevil. As long as that whole Stick thing was a nightmare.

7. Silver Surfer. Twice faced with the ultimate sacrifice and both times living up to it.

6. Howard the Duck. No powers and forced to make his way on a planet of hairless apes, nonetheless never losing sight of his moral center.

5. Iceman. With great power . . . ahhh, who cares let's go get a beer and check out the chicks.

4. Rorschach. Principles don't stop applying simply because victory becomes impossible

3. Adam Strange. No control over where he is but always a hero.

2. Puck. A congenitally deformed man who nonetheless became a self-trained hero.

1. Plastic Man. A criminal finding redemption through a near death experience granting him powers whose potential is indescribable.

1. Captain Marvel - The only hero, to my mind, who still embodies the wonderment, the optimism and the ideals the superheroes should embody. The truest and best epitome of the 'Superhero' as concept.

2. Alan Scott - The Big Man. Responsibility incarnate.

3. Jay Garrick - Everyone's pal. Rock-solid pillar.

4. Jack Knight - Legacy. Thoughtfullness. Compassion.

5. Madman - Humanity. Compassion. A genuine spirit of fun. A gentle soul.

6. Nexus - Trying to make a difference. Driven by fate, but not accepting that fate. Thinking for himself. Questioning and questing hero.

7. Doctor Clark Savage jr. - The 'normal' guy writ large. Pure Hero in 10 foot high letters of flame. The Legend made flesh.

8. Wildcat - No gadgets, no high tech vehicles, no superdetective abilities, no powers. Just a good right hook and the will to do right.

9. Wesley Dodds - the detective hero. The superhero as intellectual. A deep thinker.

10. The Powerpuff Girls - Superheroes are for everyone.

Pol.

-strokes beard in contemplation-

Geez, I got lots of choices here.

-scribbles on paper for a few minutes-

My Top Ten (at least for now)

1) The Thing -power as a curse, doesn't break under it

2) Dr Strange -a second chance leads to the right path

3) Captain America - he's committed to his proclaimed ideals

4) Rogue - sought help, found a home and new ideals

5) Martian Manhunter - lost his world, found a new home

6) Superman - great power, great sense of responsibility

7) Thunderstrike - tried his best though out of his depth

8) Robotman (Cliff Steele) - lost his humanity, gained his soul

9) Power Man (Luke Cage) - proclaimed opportunist with a good heart

10) Sailor Moon (no really) - she's a whiny immature kid who'd literally kill herself to help others

1.) Captain America (the premier Patriot/Leader)

2.) Hawkeye (In a world of Gods,androids,and mutants, a "normal" man still can stand up and be counted)

3.) Mach 1 (The road to Redemption is rocky)

4.) The Confessor (It doesn't matter the crosses we bear,it's how we bear them)

5.) Nightwing (the protege trying to be his own man)

6.) U.S.Agent (Even an a$$hole can be a hero)

7.) Sgt Caesar Kemlo:The Hyper Dog (Just too much cool) :D

8.) Nightcrawler (Body of a demon,Heart of an angel,Soul of a swashbuckler)

9.) The Shoveler (the only true Hero of that group)

10.) Silver Agent (poor doomed Silver Agent--a story I hope we get to hear about)

1) Captain America (talks the talk; walks the walk)

2) Iron Man (Truly a self made hero.. flaws and all)

3) Spider-Man ( What can I say, With great power comes great responsibility)

4) Magneto ( A product of his environment)

5) Super-Man ( Absolute power corupts absolutely... not so for the Man of Steel)

6) Bat-Man (The first of many wanabes, The one true dark knight)

7) DOOM ( The vilain by witch all other vilains are measured)

8) Flash ( cause when you think speedster, you think Flash)

9) Venom ( The symbiot shows us there realy is a fine line between love and hate)

10) The Watchers ( Unfathomable power and can never use it)

My Top 10:

1. The Flash (Barry Allen, one power used creatively)

2. Jack Hawksmoor (the most innovative power set I've seen in a long time)

3. Superman (without him, we wouldn't be here)

4. Wonder Woman (proof that girls can play with the big boys and not be out of place)

5. Cyclops (the best example of a power being a blessing and a curse)

6. Green Lantern (All versions; the coolest toy anybody could ever own)

7. Ultraman (literally larger than life, and cool as hell)

8. Starman (Jack Knight; probably the most fully realized personality out of any superhero)

9. The Thing (the most inventive uses for STR ever)

10. Robin (all versions; the yin to Batman's yang, he swung alongside him because I couldn't)

Amenmend:

These are some of my favorite heroes that I don't initially think about. Guys that I see in me occasionally. They aren't meant to star in comics but they have a place in my heart.

1. The Fabulous Frogman (He is what I would be, just a kid that wants to be a superhero so bad he can taste it. )

2. Captain Ultra (The worst costume design ever (on purpose) and feints at the sight of a match. This guy just tickles my fancy)

3. Rick Jones (superheroic Also ran. He runs with the pack but is still not a member)

4. Giantman II (Flat out the coolest costume ever. I don't know why, but The white and blue Giantman costume that Bill foster wears is my favorite)

5. Hyperion (the coolest superman knockoff. )

6. Batgirl ( I had a crush on the 60's TV show batgirl. the comic book one is even better)

7. Namorita (She came into her own and then some in New Warriors. I miss her)

8. Mr Terrific II ( Self made hero, embodiment of Fair Play and hard work. Cool Costume)

9. Atom Smasher (Cool legacy hero with believable personality)

10. This space left blank for future advertisment.

I hastily browsed the responses before doing my list just to help remind myself of heroes without getting into too many inspiring details - in other words, balancing memory versus ripping off anyone. As you asked for "favorites", that's how I approached as opposed to the "best". I left off Gaiman's Sandman just because even though I think it's one of the greastest stories and greatest concepts in general, the character itself was never as intrigueing a concept to me intrinsically. Here's a shot at it, I ended up with 20:

20. Dr. Doom - Mr. Ultimate Villain to me, only read less than a dozen of Doom stories but his relationship with Reed Richards

and his whole bizarre circumstance of techno-mage ruler of a

country - have to love it

19. Doom Patrol - while not often effectively written, I liked the weird pre-Vertigo and into-Vertigo versions with the relationships and bizarre powers and mentalities

18. Phantom Stranger - yes, it's easy to be Mr. Mysterious shadowy do-gooder but something about this character was always intrigueing to me

17. Wild Dog - the ultimate "realistic" vigilante, typical back story but as a character very well fleshed out and "tangible"

16. Inferior Five - not for the not-so-good comedy but the notion of second-generation AND second-tier heroes, with an interesting mix of (dis)abilities and such

15. Metal Men - silly and over-the-top for sure, but I always found the Metal Men to be old favorites for the archetype personalities and, as I got older, the satirical take on super-teams

14. X-Men - never read more than a handful of the comics and not at all interested in them (the comics) since the mid-70s but the basic idea of student mutants and what it spun into really is a great concept

13. Fantastic Four - to me the quintessential team, diverse personalities and problems; I actually probably only ever read a dozen of their comics actually, I've never been a fan of those but of the concept itself and the personalities

12. Axel Pressbutton - great idea with the vegetable-scarred more-than-half mechanical assassin with the "pressbutton" pleasure device

11. Those Annoying Post Brothers - the mad ultra-violent dimension-popping brothers with their artistic bent and fleshed out friends and relations are a long-time favorite

The Top 10:

10. Ragman - Jewish myths, the dead souls angle, the mystery, nice character

9. Wombat - a one-shot character in the PIs mini-series, really caught my eye with its costume, vengeance, and intensity; I altered the story but have used the character as a frightening ultra-Punisher sort

8. John Constantine - the ultimate bastard hero; I was going to say anti-hero but that doesn't exactly fit; anyway thoroughly compelling with his attitude and underlying sense of right-and-wrong filtered through shades of gray

7. Rorshack - great background, compelling characterization, both sympathetic and horrifying at once

6. Spectre - YIKES! when done as the murderous wrath of unwielding, unfeeling justice he really got to me

5. Mr. E - DOUBLE YIKES! not as much for the limited series but his portrayal in the Books of Magic mixed Rorshack and Spectre in a non-derivative way into a terrifying and complex character

4. Flaming Carrot - a combination of mystery, absurdity, and actual heroism, fantastically interesting with the slight (or great, depending on the year) retardation, beat poetry, lifestyle, surrealistic take on life

3. Concrete - as a character, wholly believable, and entirely sympathetic while engaging in heroics

2. Jesse what's-his-name from Preacher - a guy with an entirely messed up family life and a ne'er-do-well with the voice of God, seeking the almighty; what's not to love? the comic may not have always lived up to the character (though it is still one of the best series) but the concept was unbeatable

1. Batman - we all know this one...it's a concept that when done well I have found to consistently be a favorite for me, and while I don't read the regular Batman comics I'm always keen to see when a writer does something special with him

Sorry, but I only have a top 8:

8) Captain America: In a world flodded with cynicism, scandal, and anti-heroes, its nice to think that there are still true-believers who honor, defend and still fight for the true American Dream.

7) Captain Marvel: He captures the essence of the wonder of being a super-hero. It takes a child to truly get it right.

6) Spider-Man: You gotta love a story where a quirk of fate turns a picked-on and abused science-nerd into one of our greatest heroes.

5) Daredevil: I liked him even before the movie came out; the flick just reminded me of why.

4) Hal Jordan Green Lantern: A paragon among heroes. Yet as noble and incorruptable as he was, his tale shows how even the mightiest can fall, and how even the fallen can be saved.

3) Batman: In a world full of awesome powers, he is epitomises the idea that anybody, with enough dedication, can compete with the big boys. and win.

2) Oracle: To my mind, she is the ultimate phoenix-rising hero. Once a super-hero until the Joker confined her to a wheel chair. She took her well-known pre-existing skills as a librarian to become the 4-1-1 of all other super-heroes, making her more dangerous and versitile than ever.

1) Superman: He set the standard. 'Nuff said.

My top 10

1. Penance (of Gex X): Unable to connect with anyone yet still willing to be a hero.

2. Moonstone (of T-bolts): With great power can come great oppertunities. Sometimes the corruption comes before the power.

3. Harley Quinn: Surviving the quintessential bad relationship to survive the only way she knows how.

4. Spider Girl: Sometimes the shoes are so big you have to make your own.

5. Daredevil: Turning a disability into an advantage. There should be more 'disabled' superheroes.

6. Gambit: No-one said heroes had be upstanding citizens.

7. Spider Man: What heroes should be. Has learned the price of power.

8. Magneto: This is what supervillians should be like. Totally sure of his own moral superiority. Actually working for 'the greater good' as he sees it. Willing to go to any lengths to insure a better world for his people.

9. Two-face: Fave Batman villain. How much worse is Evil when tempered with rightousness.

10. Chamber (in Gen X): Turning self-hate into heroic action.

1. The Incredible Hulk. Not a hero you say? HULK SMASH! HULK HERO! Primarily the 70's-80's Hulk and the Peter David stuff. The Monster with the heart of a child.

2. Captain Marvel: Chosen hero, I love mythology and his whole connection to it.

3. The Invisible Woman: Strong willed heroine. She could be a strong role-model, good as any man without having to be some amazon bitch type.

4. Captian America: You have to respect someone who can order Thor around!

5. Thor: He's a god! NUFF SAID!

6. Spider Man. The hero who could be you who is his own sidekick.

7. BatMan. The true existential hero.

8. SuperMan. The Hero of all heroes.

9. The Tick! We don't prevent crime, we fight it! SPOON!!!!

10. The Thing. IT"S CLOBBERIN TIME!!!!!!!!